Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pulsing brakes & steering in park.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulsing brakes & steering in park.

So I had something new develop today, I was in park and I pushed the brakes down to shift out of park and I noticed they were pulsating. Also, I was trying to turn the wheel and it was pulsating at the same rate. I have searched the threads and I cant find anything on it. I bled the brakes and the fluid level is fine. But how in the world are the brakes and the steering wheel pulsating at the same rate? I have thought that maybe it had something to do with the power steering pump and belt but it all looks fine. While I am driving it, it doesn't pulse. I don't get it. What do you guys think?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 AM

I don't know much about it, but I have read about an idle up device. From my understanding, it increases the idle speed a little bit when turning the wheel.

Maybe it is raising the idle, which is also being felt in the brakes? Or maybe something is faulty with it. IDK. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Sorry I'm not much help. I just thought I would post something since nobody else has.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 AM

I suggest you pop the hood and have someone else first pump the brake, and then turn the steering wheel from lock to lock while you listen. If you hear the entire engine RPM changing, you can start by checking your vacuum system for a leak. If you hear the power steering pump on a 3vze making noise, that is often one of the least reliable part toyota ever made. It's probably on its way out. It could be the power steering pump failing and its throwing your engine rpm off, which would explain why its working just fine when you're driving. If you've ever tried to parallel park a vehicle without power steering, you know what I'm talking about.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:03 PM

@ YAY....thanks! hahahaha....

@NY- I will try that. Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe you should take your rig through the square and look for terrorists to run over! Im sure everyone would understand. lol I have family in Rochester. Go Yanks!