Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pulsation Damper or Pressure Damper

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulsation Damper or Pressure Damper

Mine apparently has gone bad, explains the smell of gas (as many have suggested what was wrong on another post) and now my car is physically dripping gas when running (not when off thankfully).

I have seen via a diagram where this is generally located, but I am unsure how to access it. Is it from the top (engine/hood) or underneath? Tough to tell from the pictures I have (PDF files).

Also, since I haven't found it yet, is it just that part I need to replace, or are there hoses on or around it that need a look too. My biggest PITA when working on this truck is ordering parts, and then half way through the job realizing I need MORE parts! So any tips before I get started would be excellent!

Thank you Master Yota
Old 05-18-2006, 09:32 AM

Just called the Toyota Dealer in town, is $110.26 a fair price?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds a 'little' high, but I had mine replaced 2 years ago. Inflation may have set in. I acutally couldn't FIND the leak, so I had my mechanic do the work. He charged me about $100 for the the new pulsator install ( including labor). I 'think' its under the plenum on the passenger side, so getting at it would prolly be from the top. Might have to remove the plenum to get to it.

Mike in AR
Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 AM

I found one through the vendors on here for about 25% less. Going to make sure it's what's leaking tonight.

Thanks (Hope I can find it!)
Old 05-18-2006, 07:28 PM

Okay, is this up behind/underneath the plenum? I can't see or feel anything, but that's where this leak is coming from. You can watch it from underneath the truck, but there's not a clear shot to where it's coming from. I'll have to take the plenum off to see it I guess, and I wanted to make sure that's where this part is before I order one for $80.

I need to get another plenum gasket too now since I am popping that sucker off. Damn, just replaced that 6 months ago.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:50 PM

buddy of mine had one of those dampners leaking. He ended up replacing it with one from the junk yard for $10.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:33 PM

I have that option too I suppose, but I figured if they do go bad often I might as well pony up and buy a new one so I don't have to replace that one when it goes bad. There is a 91 4Runner at the JY by my house, I am concerned it is just as old and can go bad too.

Replacing the plenum is a bitch for me, so I would rather just get the new one if that's what's wrong.

Gas just POURS out from underneath the engine though, no WONDER I am getting piss for MPG lately!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this job last winter. I ended up taking off the entire intake manifold to get at the dampener (I assume you have a 3.0).

It's at the very back of the intake valley. Once I got to it, it wasn't a big deal. I ended up replacing my intake manifold gasket at the same time.

HTH,

MadCityRich
Old 05-19-2006, 04:41 AM

Go here and look at the first schematic:

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...90injector.pdf

This is part of the FSM that relates to removing , testing and reinstalling injectors. However, it's the only place I've seen in the FSM that shows the 'pulsation damper'. Look at the RH Fuel rail (called the RH Delivery Pipe in the schematic). Near the right end of it ( the firewall end as it would be installed on the engine), you should see a large, knob-looking device. I believe that is the item you're talking about. Others can please correct me , if I'm wrong.

Mike in AR
Old 05-19-2006, 07:39 AM

Okay, that's where I thought it was, or at least I know where the leak is coming from so if it's back there and these go bad, I assume that must be it. Yeah I have a 3.0 V6.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the RH Fuel rail (called the RH Delivery Pipe in the schematic). Near the right end of it ( the firewall end as it would be installed on the engine), you should see a large, knob-looking device. I believe that is the item you're talking about. Others can please correct me , if I'm wrong.
That is the correct identification of the dampener. I spent a lot of time trying to get at it without taking off the intake manifold. I don't see anyway to remove it otherwise. So just take off the manifold.

I ended up finding the remains of a nest in there, which surprised me since my truck is a daily driver. That must have been one warm mouse house. Taking off the manifold is a good opportunity to clean things up. Replace your PCV valve while you are in there.

MadCityRich
Old 05-19-2006, 08:01 AM

PCV Valve eh? Where the heck is that? I found them online, not very expensive at all.

Is it a no brainer once I am back there?

I found a photo of something called Fuel Injection Pressure Damper at RockAuto

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Airtex/D...tml?3G1050.jpg

Is that what it looks like?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:08 AM

Here's another shot from Amazon of a different make

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181
Old 05-19-2006, 11:44 AM

I believe that pic is of the damper.

As far as the PCV valve is concerned, it's right there 'on top' when you get the plenum off. In fact, you 'can' see it without taking the plenum off -- you just can't get the darn thing out. It's in there tight and there's no working room with the plenum on there.

Once you start pulling vacuum hoses off to allow the plenum to come off, you'll see the end of the PCV valve sticking up. Kinda has a long snout for the vacuum hose to slide on to.

Mike in AR
Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 PM

I ordered that, the grommet that goes with it (both were $2), the EGR gaskets, the plenum gasket, and the big daddy Damper.

Did you know Amazon.com has car parts, good prices too!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:35 PM

I am buying from Northridge though, either them or the other guy on here trdparts4u.com

Both gave me good bids.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:20 PM

Finally got the parts in and the plenum off, MAN that is a mother to take off!

It was indeed the Damper that was leaking. The little plastic cap was yellowed quite a bit, and when I pulled it off there was gas inside of it, dripping out. There was also a tiny little screw with a rubber grommet around it. I looked at the brand new one I have and that screw is in place. Not sure if just putting that screw back in would do the trick, after all this work I'm putting in the new one and calling it GOOD!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Technical Explanation FYI: A pulsation damper works in a similar way to the old water pipe trick of adding a finger pipe off the main line toprevent "shock" to the pipes when you shut off the water quickly. The pulsation damper is similar to the "water hammer arrestor" below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Water hammer happens when you turn OFF a water flow suddenly (like a dishwasher, a clothes washer, a toilet or even closing a hand faucet suddenly. Shutting off the flow suddenly sends a pressure or shock wave down the water line through the water shocking the pipes and creating the 'hammer' noise. These shock waves travel faster than the speed of sound and can exert very great instantaneous pressures. Over time, water hammer can damage pipes, valves and eventually weaken pipe joints.

Most modern homes have devices called water hammer arresters ( they're called various things such as air chamber, air cushion, water capacitor, etc.) . They are air filled chambers connected to the plumbing that let the pressure wave dissipate harmlessly into a cushion of air."
Old 06-07-2006, 07:39 AM

Oh my gosh, I am haunted!

You don't know the chills you just sent down my spine I have a new home and I spent the first 3 years fighting with the company that built my house because of the poor plumbing and the EXTREMELY loud hammering in the pipes. When my sprinklers turn off and on (which I don't get, because that comes straight off the street and isn't even in my house) there are pipes that bang so loud you can only duplicate the sound if you were hit my wall with a giant hammer, I am not kidding, it's that LOUD!

I have those darn arresters all over my house. I have one on the pipes coming from my dishwasher, two more upstairs on the hot and cold water for my washing machines, one big one on the main valve in my house, and another one on the master bedroom shower. I also have a big blue tank connected to my hot water heater. All that, and the things still hammer! I did notice that none of my pipes are secured though, the brackets are there, but they aren't nailed into any studs. Nice!

Anyway, it's just funny to me that my hammering issue has now gone to me truck! That little screw must have blown out of there.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:12 PM

All fixed

Damper replaced, TVV (BVSV) repaired and installed, plenum back on, everything connected and truck is running like a champ.

Not only do I know how to replace a fuel like (fuel pressure damper) in my 4Runner, I also learned how to count to a million. Turns out that's exactly how many hoses are connected to the plenum!

Thanks for all your help.