86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pulling my hair out: Auto to Manual Transmission swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling my hair out: Auto to Manual Transmission swap issues

I have a 90 model cab and a half 22RE That I blew the engine in. I replaced the engine with a factory rebuild engine and decided to change the automatic trans with a 5 speed manual. Every thing has gone good until I try to crank the truck, it seems to not be fueling correctly. When I crank on it I get fuel through the cold start injector feed pipe but i don't think it is going through the injector I have another cold start injector i am going to put on it in the morning. I can squirt gas into the throttle body and truck will crank and run till fuel burns up. I pulled the fuel pump our of the tank and tested it and it pumps gas well. And I took the nuetral safty switch (I guess that is wht it is bolted on right side of transmission with 2 plugs on it and if I turn it one way you cn key crank on the motor turn other way it won't) All wires are hooked up where they go and I can't not think of anything else on my own so I thought I would post here and see if anyone might have any idea's that might help an old man get his baby on the road.===
Old 10-16-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do that jumper trick to force the fuel pump to run, it could be your COR.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
It's not the cold start injector; that only opens while you are cranking. It's probably not the COR/VAF if you are getting fuel out of the cold start injector line. (BUT mct75 is still correct. Jumpering is such an easy test, and it shows so much, you really should do it. A whole lot easier than messing with fuel lines.)

It COULD be the IGF line from the igniter back to the ECU; without the IGF signal the ECU shuts off the injectors.

Use a gadget like this http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-69913.html (or a piece of 1/4" dowel) to listen to each injector. You should be able to hear an audible click.

By the way, you know that you have to replace the crush washers on the CSI anytime you remove a fuel line, don't you?
Old 10-17-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks scope I am going to Harbor Freight Monday to get a stethoscope I had 2 other mechanics recommend same thing today. And yes I know to change the crush washers in CSI I hav 3 extra sets. I will work on checking out the click on the injector
S this week also advised to pull the injectors and clean them by soaking them in carb cleaner. They set up in a covered bucket while I was putting truck back together so I didn't think they would need to be cleaned. I am a bit crippled up so I am slow so I will post again after I get that done thanks again for the advice and conformation.