86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pros and Cons of the 3.0 V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
they early 3.0s were the ones that did NOT have problems with the headgaskets. Toyota initially designed the engine to run a HG that had ASBESTOS in it and they were able to for a couple of years, but the U.S. put a stop to it. Since then Toyota had to change the HG they put in it and that is where the weak link is, because the newer ones werent able to run the proper HG.

That being said my '88 3.0 has 231K HARD miles on it. I have beaten the snot out of mine. I will admit that i have a rod knock, but by the time our Toyota's reach 231K on our first motor, some other vehicles may be on engine number 2 or 3.
Well, according to 2 different Toyota master techs, who specialized in the 3.0 engine that I know in Cali, have said that it was early head gasket designand the lack of asbestos is what contributed in the head gasket failures, primarily the '88-'90 engines.

But that is either here nor there.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have heard about the headgasket material issue how it was weaked in the early 90's. I know this to be true because i had a 3.0 88 4runner with 300,000 on its original headgaskets and motor before i sold it. 3VZ-E's are great engines but just require alittle more care than the 22r's and are a bit of pain to work on but their 4wd is extremely strong, you put a 3.0 in 4wheel you know your in a TOYOTA. The 3.0 was mainly desgined to increase towing capacity and not much more than that. Dunno why everyone dogs it out for its speed and stuff its a truck motor TOYOTA designed it for towing and 4-wheeling. GET OVER IT.

Last edited by Kiroshu; 06-26-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Im very very strict on my matenince. I do everything before or right when its needed.

I really like my 3.0 Sure its not that powerfull for a v6, but it is what it is, a 1980's smog v6.

Make sure its in good shape, and gear the diffs down. 3.0's love gearing!

I get over 21mpg with mine on the hwy in the summer, not bad for a truck lifted 5" with big wide mud tires!!

The 3.0 is also very very nice down low. Its super hard to really kill a 3vze, it will kick back up from 0rpm easily. I like it, the 22re is a great motor too, just really really gutless.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Well, according to 2 different Toyota master techs, who specialized in the 3.0 engine that I know in Cali, have said that it was early head gasket designand the lack of asbestos is what contributed in the head gasket failures, primarily the '88-'90 engines.

But that is either here nor there.
Well, you either heard wrong or at least let us know which dealership these techs work at so we can avoid them, as they have it backasswards. All you need to do is look at the years that were covered by the HG recall. They were the later ones, not the early ones. The motor was designed for an asbestos gasket and when they had to change the gasket material (i.e. asbestos banned in the U.S. because it causes cancer), it didn't hold up. I think they finally got it right just as they were about done with the motor as I think the 95 3.0's were not under the recall.

Also, from what I have noticed on this forum. If you have one that had the recall done and it was done before anything went wrong with it, then you have a good chance of it lasting quite awhile. Some had the recall done after their HG blew, and those seem to be repeat offenders. So far I've been lucky, (knock on wood) as mine had the recall done by the original owner before any problems had arose.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:11 PM

I think the 3.0 is a good motor, Ive never had any major problems with mine, at about 180k me and my dad rebuilt the top end, had the heads ported and polished and put headers on it...and a couple of years ago I put on a K&N intake and for a 3.0 mine can get up and go. Now I have also driven an auto 4runner with a stock 3.0 and it was sluggish, but these are trucks not race cars. I have also driven a stock 3.4 and a supercharged 3.4 and i wasn't super impressed with the stock 3.4 but I was drooling over that s/c'd one (when I get the money im slapping one of those in my truck!). Now for some pro's and con's, pro's: it's a toyota engine so it should last for a LONG time, if you take car of it it will take care of you, there are ways to get some usable power out of it (not as many as say a 3.4 but there are stills some). Con's: it doesn't have alot of power for a v6, it is prone to hg problems (but a set of headers should fix that), not alot of aftermarket stuff for it, it doesn't get great gas mileage.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a guy at work used to have one, supposedly got 400,000 miles out of it before the HG blew on cyl 6, and still drove it back 100 miles from the desert, then drove it daily for a week, then traded it in at the dealer. he says hed love to get another one, but since he lives in an apartment, that wont happen.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
but since he lives in an apartment, that wont happen.
Why is that? Can't have a V6 in an apartment?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
Well, you either heard wrong or at least let us know which dealership these techs work at so we can avoid them, as they have it backasswards. All you need to do is look at the years that were covered by the HG recall. They were the later ones, not the early ones. The motor was designed for an asbestos gasket and when they had to change the gasket material (i.e. asbestos banned in the U.S. because it causes cancer), it didn't hold up. I think they finally got it right just as they were about done with the motor as I think the 95 3.0's were not under the recall.

Also, from what I have noticed on this forum. If you have one that had the recall done and it was done before anything went wrong with it, then you have a good chance of it lasting quite awhile. Some had the recall done after their HG blew, and those seem to be repeat offenders. So far I've been lucky, (knock on wood) as mine had the recall done by the original owner before any problems had arose.
Well, Hamer Toyota, and Frontier Toyota are the dealerships they work at, and this is just 1 site to agree with what they have told me.http://www.brian894x4.com/V6headgasketrecall.html. But what are we argueing about, again? LOL. I've been lucky with all the 3.0 engines I've owned. (Knocking on wood as I type this with my current 3.0) lol.

But it agreed by every1 that if you take care of your engine, you'll not have problems with it, wether it's the 22re, or the 3.0.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 PM

ok so i have a 94 3.o v6 with 314000 miles on it in my extended cab truck that has not had an easy life i have used it abused it and let it go way past due on maitnence this includes but is not limited at the timeing belt and the oil and it needs a new radiator and fan pully bad but it starts and drives every morning like clock work as as far as power i have pulled my buddies 08 dodge 1500 out of the mud more than once and even when he blew the motor and broke the front diff. i run 31s on my truck and have geared my truck down to 4:56s and couldnt be happier and as far as slow i can do 100 miles per hour and out pull my buddies s10 and another guys nissan so go for what you think you need but i have owned the 22re ok motor but slow and my 22r was fun but slow and this 3.0 at least i can get down the road in it if i load it up with my bike on the back or a boat on the trailer and i can also pull my hunting trailer just fine. and i get about 20 on the freeway and 17 in the city and i run mud tires all the time and have cut the old muffler out and put in a glass pack and that is the extent of mods on the motor that and i took the ac off when it stoped working

ps. all of you that hate the motor get rid of the ac it makes for a big change

Last edited by nvtoyota; 06-27-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:12 AM

i have a 3.0 with 128xxx on it, I bought it with a blown head gasket. I replaced the gaskets,timming belt,water pump, tstat,radiator,hoses. I hae been reading these posts and have concerns if it will blow again soon? Was this a problem with original material, and once replced ok?, or is it a continuing problem. I see many people with over 200k i hope for the same. Any inout would be helpful.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by nvtoyota

If the A/C isn't running it's not drawing any power. You wouldn't be able to tell ANY difference at all. You might get rid of ~50lbs of parts from under the hood, but I doubt you would even notice that.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
Why is that? Can't have a V6 in an apartment?
hes already got a 3.4L taco and has a roomate, so has no more parking
Old 06-28-2009, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by nvtoyota
ok so i have a 94 3.o v6 with 314000 miles on it in my extended cab truck that has not had an easy life i have used it abused it and let it go way past due on maitnence this includes but is not limited at the timeing belt and the oil and it needs a new radiator and fan pully bad but it starts and drives every morning like clock work as as far as power i have pulled my buddies 08 dodge 1500 out of the mud more than once and even when he blew the motor and broke the front diff. i run 31s on my truck and have geared my truck down to 4:56s and couldnt be happier and as far as slow i can do 100 miles per hour and out pull my buddies s10 and another guys nissan so go for what you think you need but i have owned the 22re ok motor but slow and my 22r was fun but slow and this 3.0 at least i can get down the road in it if i load it up with my bike on the back or a boat on the trailer and i can also pull my hunting trailer just fine. and i get about 20 on the freeway and 17 in the city and i run mud tires all the time and have cut the old muffler out and put in a glass pack and that is the extent of mods on the motor that and i took the ac off when it stoped working

whoa! reading that made my head hurt!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
hes already got a 3.4L taco and has a roomate, so has no more parking
I'd MUCH rather have a 4runner than a roommate, but that may just be me...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wanted to thank everyone that responded here, because of all the advice I decided to go ahead and buy the 4Runner. As stated its an 89 3.0 5sp the body is in good shape with only one real dent, the interior will be better once I can get it cleaned and as soon as I get it running I think all will be good. Yes I bought a non running truck, for all I know it may not even turn over but for what I paid for it I can get twice as much for it in parts if it doesn't run. I'll get pics up and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again for the input
Brian
Old 04-02-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by black toy
to my knowlege the autos wear the onley one to have the chaindrive out off all the v6 toys
All 88-95 3VZs came with chain driven cases. The R150F (5 speed) got a VF1A chain-driven transfer case and the A340H (auto) had an integrated chain-driven case.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Im very very strict on my matenince. I do everything before or right when its needed.

I really like my 3.0 Sure its not that powerfull for a v6, but it is what it is, a 1980's smog v6.

Make sure its in good shape, and gear the diffs down. 3.0's love gearing!

I get over 21mpg with mine on the hwy in the summer, not bad for a truck lifted 5" with big wide mud tires!!

The 3.0 is also very very nice down low. Its super hard to really kill a 3vze, it will kick back up from 0rpm easily. I like it, the 22re is a great motor too, just really really gutless.
I seen that this user's last activity was back in 2010. So i'll ask anyone else. Do any of you other guys get approx. 21mpg like this guy did? If so, can you tell me what you are doing that is making it do so well? My motor was just completely rebuilt, had a new cat & flowmaster muffler with 2&1/4 piping installed, put in a new o2 sensor, and also changed all the vacuume tubes, changed gas filter(it needed one), and air filter and replaced the old broken intake arm, and i just ordered some of the vacuume hose sensors(havent came in yet).
I'm running 31" 12.5wide BFG A/t Tires with no lift. I dont normally step on the gas alot but only when its needed.

I'm going to Start using 76 and Shell Gasolines again because i know it made a big difference which i changed gasolines on my DD car. cheaper gas tend to waste faster, and im also gonna try out using that LUCAS F/I cleaner I hear that works good too. and Hopefully with all that and those new vacume hose sensors straight from the dealership I'm hoping to see a difference.

With all that ive done so far, I average about 11-13mpg which leaves me wondering why dont I get better MPG with everything ive done to it so far? I know these motors dont do so well on gas(from what ive read on the forums) but i do see there are a very few people who get up to 19-21mpg with this same motor. WHATS YOUR SECRET?

JUST EDITED: FORGOT SOME CUCIAL INFO FOR THAT QUESTION I ASKED:
- I have a 1989 4runner 3.0 v6(obviously)
- 4.10 gears(for now) with 31/12.5/r15 BFG ALL TERRAIN tires
- new cat & flowmaster muffler with 2&1/4 piping and NEW o2 sensor
- 5 Speed tranny
- AC is Not connected
- NO LIFT, No headers, and no Cold air intake.
If you need to know anything else go ahead and ask. I'll give you any other info you need to help this motor do better on gas.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-20-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
I seen that this user's last activity was back in 2010. So i'll ask anyone else. Do any of you other guys get approx. 21mpg like this guy did?
On a good day, I can achieve 20MPG, although it's typically lower than that (16-18MPG). Engine is stock other than Downey intake and I'm running 31" A/T tires with 4.56 gearing. This with with 3.0L and 5spd.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Hmm... So im guessing if i was to throw in some better gears itll make a big difference as well then.

I have a SFA waitig for me to finish buying all the parts needed for a SAS. And i was planning on buying another set of 5.29 gears since the SFA already has that gearing; so i figured i'd just match the gears since it already has them.
and after getting the 5.29's with front and rear lockers to put on some 33's to 35's(max)

Do you think im using up alot of gas because im running 31's on stock gears?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM

I'm getting a solid 16mpg in my 89 4runner 3.0 with 31's and 4:10 gears. I don't do a lot of city driving but because I live 12 miles out of town on rural roads I go 50mph and never drive on the freeway with it or in 5th geear. However it also is throwing a code 52 and 71 so I know if I fixed those it will get better mileage.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of the 3.0 V6