86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Project: I want my 88 4runner back!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project: I want my 88 4runner back!

I guess it's better to have a (re)build thread eh?

Well I was pretty pleased this summer with where my 88 4runner was, needed a rear locker and some minor mechanical fixes...

Here was some pics of the 88's last good trip (trail that was closed 2 years ago, ASRD members along for the run giving proper permissions to do this).

However some little jackass in a corvette decided to loose it doing (estimated by police) 160km/h in a 50 zone... Hit the Sunfire parked in front of me, 4runner took the hit well, got thrown 30' didn't spill a drop of fluid - but the frame was deemed not repairable...

Long battle with insurance, kept the 88 of course, even if it will never see pavement again. Found an 87 body's a bit worse - but undercarriage is really good. And of course, it's got a "should be blown" 22re, and the 5spd I can barely drive (buggered left knee, waiting on 4th surgery right now)

So first things first - if your key looks like the one on the left - remove your passenger side door lock cylinder, take to toyota dealer, 5$ and you'll have a key as you see on the right - which will actually work in ignition without fiddling, can't be removed while running, and operates all locks

This weekends work:

Replaced those 87 doors with the ones from the 88, Couldn't stand the vent windows... By the way - there are radical differences between the vent window/non vent interior panels, however a bit of grinding & brain work, and swapping of hardware (clips are different) you can use the vent window door panels on a big window door.

Also fixed that rust above the windshield, and found myself some new windshield trim.

Thought long and hard about the visor... While it did annoy me on occasion - My 4runner just wouldn't be the same without it...

So I took some 120, 200, 400, primer, and touchup paint to it... And now it'll actually match the truck

Still to come:
Drivetrain swap to the 22re/auto (next week) - With minor engine repairs.
2" body lift
Suspension lift (undecided, might go 63" chevys + BJ spacers) Or may just steal the lift from the 88.
More body repairs (gotta find a good source for fenders/rust repair for the rears)
Regearing to 5.29's, possibly adding an E-Locker.
Re-Snorkel up (may involve megasquirt, pondering getting rid of that AFM)
Dual Batteries (May involve getting rid of that AFM)
Of course I need to redo the custom bumpers (and add trailer hitch).

More updates to come...

Last edited by AndyL; 09-30-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: damn spelling mystaks
Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 PM

I salute you... this is going to be quite an undertaking but you will know that truck inside and out.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
rebuilding your wrecks is always fun! i'm doin it haha
Old 09-30-2007, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hopefully that kid is in some deep doodoo
Old 09-30-2007, 11:16 PM

Well at least you know what ou want and that's the trouble I am having right now. Good luck, and I hope your next surgery goes well
Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 PM

sounds like alot of fun tho! even tho it sucks you have to do what you already did, your getting back to ground zero not taking off from there

and you obviously didnt think too hard about the visor, cuz your putting it oN!!!!
im jp (even tho i dont like em)

congrats on your find and good luck w/ your project!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyL
More body repairs (gotta find a good source for fenders/rust repair for the rears)
http://www.toyotafiberglass.com in BC
Old 10-01-2007, 07:06 AM

ya good luck on the surgery and same goes for the truck cant wait to see what u doin to it
Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by slacker
Metal bends... See wheeling pictures above... Fiberglass breaks I think I'll stick with sheetmetal.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Long weekend (thanksgiving in the great white north) fun! Good time to do the engine swap, think the timing chain jumped a tooth on the drive out to start work on the 88...

Plan is to try to get the whole 88 drivetrain into the 87...

More gooder damage shot of the 88...

Had to peel the front clip off - just couldn't disassemble with the radiator wrapped around the fan...

Easy Access baby! Starter, exhaust manifolds, all never easier to get undone

Not great progress today - just about ready to pull the engine/tranny, only thing left are the transmission and engine mounts (both already loosened) front driveshaft, and all but 3 of those pesky engine to transmission bolts
Old 10-06-2007, 08:19 PM

It's a good thing that you are replacing parts that you have lost. Good exp.

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 10-06-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:28 PM

It's the best feeling in the world when you get everything swapped and you're able to drive your truck again! Good luck with the swap, and Godspeed!!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:34 PM

hah i see it, weird.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyL
Metal bends... See wheeling pictures above... Fiberglass breaks I think I'll stick with sheetmetal.
easy peasy .. Corvette looked like it farred as well as the others .. sorry to say ..

If done right .. Fiberglass is stronger then steel .. and I got vids.. BUT .. I guess it's all perception .
Old 10-08-2007, 06:20 PM

Redneck rough terrain hydraulicly operated engine hoist
Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 PM

Need some help - see the round ?device? below the nut on the intake manifold? I'm guessing vacuum comes out of that tube connected to it - note the large amount of mud in the vacuum hose Can anyone suggest what it is / where it goes? (doesn't seem to be in my 85FSM).
Old 10-20-2007, 02:57 PM

This is my current fun:

Swapping the 87's harness with the 88's... And of course I left the pedal assembly out at paradise acres...

Did ya know to replace the main harness - you're going all the way up the fenders on both sides?

Slowly getting there... Btw if anyones thinking about swapping a 5spd for an auto - Don't Next job - re-tackling shifter location and filling the huge gaping hole left by the 5spd shifters.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

slow and sure. i wish i had the space to do something like that.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:39 PM

Time? who's got time? Can they loan me some?

Ok, So truck was running after the october 20th weekend post above... Was having some issues though... Been driving it since then, with no dash, just the guage cluster plugged in - and the crossbar bolted in.

Firstly stupidly plugged the 87's SR5 manual cluster into the 88 automagic harness - Don't do that... Nothing works right, and the guages become decorative items - not properly functional.

Had a problem of a lack of place to put an o2 sensor... 88's was behind the cat, 87's was in the manifold. Needless to say 87 exhaust and 88 manifold were used. Swapped the 87 manifold on tonight (using a toyota gasket - 10$ extra, but once you compare the 2, you'd choose the yota gasket too), i'll put the 88's 4 wire O2 sensor into the 87's o2 sensor hole, then run the O2 sensor child harness through the firewall (i'm eyeballing the clutch cylinder hole) down to the blue plug in the drivers kick panel.

Looked at swapping the Pedal system over last weekend - decided it wasn't worth the effort. I'm thinking about just bolting/welding the clutch pedal to the brake - for those "oh crap" moments where it just seems appropriate to have 2 feet on the brake

That is all!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
man you gotta take them tires from your old yota and put them on that. also the springs :] i am really sorry what happened. imagine if it didnt you would have so much more time lol.

haha i like the 2 feet oh crap

Quick Reply: Project: I want my 88 4runner back!