86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

project dual-fuel is a go

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Talking project dual-fuel is a go

with the rise of gas prices, and increasing concern for environmental health, i figured it's time for me to do something about it. after much searching and researching, i have come across a wealth of information regarding

propane conversion
(for a 22r-ec)
(yeah, really)

something like:

i decided to start this thread so that others may know a few bits of information that i was lacking prior to this project

-what kind of mileage do you get?
-can you use fuel-injection? or just carb'd?
-where do you put the tanks?
-what kind of tanks?
-how easy is it to install? maintain?
-does it pass inspection?

if you have a question not answered in this thread, by all means, ask! the only dumb question is the one not asked.

in doing this project, i have a few criteria i want to meet:

-bolt-in (i might want to take it off)
-use of propane (lpg) and gasoline
-not use carb'd 22r parts
-increased range (horsepower would be nice, too)
-cheaper commutes

right now, i'm paying about $0.18 a mile, and at 100 miles a day, it adds up pretty quickly.

so now for some links (for you and me)

link to the kit i'm not getting, but still useful:
http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...re-ENG./Detail
really helpful people on the phone, waiting for some pictures of the mixer so i can plan accordingly

link to the oil pressure cut-off switch (thanks, brandon)
http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc
needed to turn off lpg when the motor is off

link to the rv store i think i'll get my tanks and adapters from (probably will)
http://www.restlesswheelsrvs.com/Default.aspx
again, very helpful and knowledgeable

i'll post more links up here as i find them

stay tuned!!!

(input and questions welcomed)

Last edited by irab88; 03-11-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't wait to see this! i've been looking at alternative fuels, and nat gas is possible, but highly corrosive and the fueling station for home is $$$
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
tuned in.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...6-717E75FD5BBB

This is the only EFI-compatible kit I know of, all the others are for carbs. It would have to be modified for dual-fuel.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:21 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
hey that oil pressure cut-off switch was if you were gonna convert the carb engine to electric fuel pump, not sure if you would actually need it for the pane kit itself. As I am pretty sure they woulda thought of that already.

Good luck, looks like a fun project.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Magnusian
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...6-717E75FD5BBB

This is the only EFI-compatible kit I know of, all the others are for carbs. It would have to be modified for dual-fuel.
this is the kit i'm getting:

this kit is efi and dual-fuel. superb combination. the guy on the phone (bill) was really helpful. i'm going to be asking him a bunch of questions later.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
hey that oil pressure cut-off switch was if you were gonna convert the carb engine to electric fuel pump, not sure if you would actually need it for the pane kit itself. As I am pretty sure they woulda thought of that already.

Good luck, looks like a fun project.
actually, i'll need a cut-off for the propane, seeing as the "pump" (high pressure) is always on. i'll make it fail-safe to where the cut-off valve needs to be powered to open.

and thanks!

Last edited by irab88; 03-03-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 AM

irab88 next time you talk to the guy, ask him if there is any ill effects to running these kits on a high mileage motor. I am curious. I doubt it though, cus it's not like your putting a turbo on a 180,000 mile motor.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
this is the kit i'm getting:

this kit is efi and dual-fuel. superb combination. the guy on the phone (bill) was really helpful. i'm going to be asking him a bunch of questions later.
Cool, didn't know this one existed, thought from your OP that you weren't sure if there were EFI compatible kits.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 AM
RBX

Educate me:
Propane is roughly 4.11 lbs per gallon & is currently 3.90$ per gallon in my area for residential. Seems pricey, what am I missing?
Is this correct? I do understand better mileage is expected from pane? Enough to offset higher fuel cost? I think I have something wrong.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any idea if this system is capable of working on a 3.4?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
Educate me:
Propane is roughly 4.11 lbs per gallon & is currently 3.90$ per gallon in my area for residential. Seems pricey, what am I missing?
Is this correct? I do understand better mileage is expected from pane? Enough to offset higher fuel cost? I think I have something wrong.

Thanks
I think you end up paying about the same, the mileage increase is offset by propane being slightly more expensive. At least this is what all the cab drivers where I live who drive propane taxis claim.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wii_tarded
Well not exactly the same system but, yes on LPG...http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42524

Another good thread on the subject (but with a bad title): https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...before-230678/

From link above this was the most interesting quote:

Originally Posted by Singtoe

Gasoline - 18 gallon tank would 300 miles
LPG - 18 gallon tank would get you 260 miles
CNG - 18 gallon tanks would get you 240 miles.

Cost
Gasoline @ $3.40 per gallon x 18 = $61.20 / 300 miles = $0.204 per mile
LPG @ $2.75 per gallon x 18 =$49.50 / 260 miles = $0.190 per mile
CNG @ $1.39per gallon x 18 = $25.02 / 240 miles = $0.104 per mile

So the LPG conversion might offer a savings of 1 to 2 cents per miles.
But the CNG would yield 10 cent per mile cost savings. It would cut you daily operating cost down by half.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-03-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
irab88 next time you talk to the guy, ask him if there is any ill effects to running these kits on a high mileage motor. I am curious. I doubt it though, cus it's not like your putting a turbo on a 180,000 mile motor.
can do
Originally Posted by Magnusian
Cool, didn't know this one existed, thought from your OP that you weren't sure if there were EFI compatible kits.
yeah, those were just some initial questions i had before i started researching
Originally Posted by RBX
Educate me:

Thanks
edit- see above thanks dale
Originally Posted by wii_tarded
i don't think it will. i would call nashfuel and ask them. however, if you have a carb'd engine, then this process is really easy. even less work than what i have to do

Last edited by irab88; 03-03-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the guys i work with has a 22r on propane. 84 ext cab sitting on 35's so i can ask him any questions you want to know. he has been running it for about 6 months now.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Just throwing this out there, since your gonna run dual fuel, maybe you already thought about this already, you can save some space and some weight by switching the original gas tank to something like a 5 gallon fuel cell. Should be enough to get you to the next fueling station I would think and free up space under the bed for the pane tanks.

Also I think propane is also used in diesels like nitrous is used in a gas engine and they make tanks for that. Have to dig some up for you, but I saw a setup witch was pretty nice on one of those Spike Power Block shows.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:21 AM

that was easy: http://www.bullydogparts.com/Bully_D...it_p/10800.htm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5549366&hl=en#
Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 AM
RBX

Thanks for the info
The idea of a vehicle that can consume multiple types of fuel is very appealing to me.
CNG- a home compressor is required, and very appealing but costs $3500(hondas' PHILL) to $6500(ouch!)
LPG- Can you fill this anywhere LPG is sold?
Gasoline- Mainly foreign resource, every-time the middle east sneezes our price jumps(scum-bags).

Since we all know the apocalypse is approaching, it would be great to run a vehicle on what ever you can pump in your rig.
It would be great to create a system like my MSR Dragonfly camping stove....white gas, kerosene, diesel, alcohol...whatever you can find that is flammable!

Think I'll run the outboard tanks like Mad Max!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 AM

yeah, thanks. i know about the diesel-injection stuff. sweet. i'm not going to worry about tanks for a little while, anyway. the fuel cell does sound good, but i don't have too much time for major fab work (or a welder, for that matter)

i'd love to view the video, but it's blocked at both school and work, so i'll have to wait until 1230 tonight
Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
Thanks for the info
The idea of a vehicle that can consume multiple types of fuel is very appealing to me.
CNG- a home compressor is required, and very appealing but costs $3500(hondas' PHILL) to $6500(ouch!)
LPG- Can you fill this anywhere LPG is sold?
Gasoline- Mainly foreign resource, every-time the middle east sneezes our price jumps(scum-bags).

Since we all know the apocalypse is approaching, it would be great to run a vehicle on what ever you can pump in your rig.
It would be great to create a system like my MSR Dragonfly camping stove....white gas, kerosene, diesel, alcohol...whatever you can find that is flammable!

Think I'll run the outboard tanks like Mad Max!
the guy at restless wheels (in manassas) said that all propane is stored and used at the same pressure. so i do believe you can get it filled at any propane filling station. also, if you get a 20# tank (bbq grill style), you can swap them out at your local 7-11. be careful, because blue rhino uses a proprietary filling system on most tanks.

i love the look of that car, with the tanks like that

and i have one of those stoves. it's so nice to not worry about what type of fuel to use. if only they made an ice version!

Last edited by irab88; 03-03-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 AM

just think rig up a valve on the back end and a few spark plugs and you got rocket propulsion.

Quick Reply: project dual-fuel is a go