Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Project: Boosted Brown

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project: Boosted Brown

Here is my latest addition to add to my Toyota fleet A poop BROWN, RUST FREE 1986 Pick-Up with a 22RE-T, 5 speed with the 23 spline transfer case. 137K on the clock, No A/C, No Clock. Truck runs MINT, doesnt really need anything. No BS mods, the cat was removed and a 40 series flow master was also put it in, and it sounds AWESOME for a 4 cylinder. 1st on the list is to get rid of the plastic bed liner and have it coated. Next, the cow catcher has to go :ror: I am also ditching the 33s for a nice narrow set of 31" BFGs (when $ permits) because the 33s are chipping up the paint. I am going to pull the back bumper and respray it and i also have an old school grizzly single bar single back roll bar that I may put in it.

Enough babble, onto the pics

NO RUST in the bed

Real clean interior

Turbo light goes on when its boosting

Paint on it is awesome aside from a couple of rock chips

Nice and clean underneath too

Engine compartment is clean

I am super stoked about this rig, Its in awesome condition for an east coast truck. I dont have any major plans for it other then working with whats already there. No SAS on this one, its just gonna be a fun cruiser

I'm not to familiar with the turbo trucks so if anyone had some good advice/tips please do share

Thanks for looking
-Mike
Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Shiny

:wabbit2:
Old 12-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Nice find!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Lucky. Think even I would keep that of the trails, well perhaps not. Nice truck though.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Cool find, you are right about that being awesome for an east coast truck. I lived in NY for 5 years...they rust out fast there
if you are gonna keep that brush guard, brace it some more...the way it will wobble will drive you nuts after awhile
you have some interesting toys next to that thing. does that funky green tool box go with the funky green Cushman or Daihatsu thingy?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
that's a good looking PU!

for a minute, I though those center caps on the rear tires were painted to match
Old 12-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
WOW! That thing is sweet!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Lucky. Think even I would keep that of the trails, well perhaps not. Nice truck though.
Its staying off the trails for sure, if I wanna run trails thats what my Runner is for

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Cool find, you are right about that being awesome for an east coast truck. I lived in NY for 5 years...they rust out fast there
if you are gonna keep that brush guard, brace it some more...the way it will wobble will drive you nuts after awhile
you have some interesting toys next to that thing. does that funky green tool box go with the funky green Cushman or Daihatsu thingy?
Green Tool box is my box from when I was at the Toyota dealership, the cushman is my stepfathers and it is very close in color to the tool box...we are fans of sublime green

The cow catcher is coming off this week...that thing is hideous. I will probably pick up that procomp prerunner bar that bolts to the stock front bumper.

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
that's a good looking PU!

for a minute, I though those center caps on the rear tires were painted to match

Yeah the center caps have the most rust, those wheels and tires arent staying, I am going to put my centerlines on that were on my 4runner

Old 12-24-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Nice lookin truck! That thing is super clean!
Old 12-24-2010, 08:25 PM

That is a very nice paint job if it is original. Must have been kept indoors. Mine looks crapy, I am in SoCal and mine is the original paint, but bed is ugly and dull compared to cab. Any ideas how to relieve the whiteness in my bed to match the cab, already tried wax and cleaner wax.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-25-2010, 05:26 PM

That thing is sweet dude! I've been looking for a find like this for a couple years now and still haven't had any luck. Still waiting to get this project going and upgrade my 22re to a turbo. Your motor is alot prettier than mine! Hahah

Old 03-09-2011, 05:18 PM

Well I finally got Boosted Brown on the road, filled it up with 93 and started cruising it around...at the end of the day I took a friend for a ride and hammered down on it pretty good and the clutch slipped definitely was not happy but one of my favorite sayings is "it is what it is". I stopped off at my old dealer and parts dept hooked me up with a new clutch disc, reman pressure plate, new throw out bearing and the part is presses onto (not sure what you would call it) and a new pilot bearing all for 198$ and a new pilot bearing.

Pulled it into the garage

Started by pulling out the shifters

Got it up on the stands, pulled the starter, slave cylinder

Yanked the rear shaft and exhaust

Front shaft

Sway bar and cross member (links are shot so I took it out for now, plus bolts snapped in frame)

Trans out using a motor cycle jack

The old clutch...it was definitely done

Fly wheel was in good shape, no heat, no cracks

New throw out bearing assembly

Pressed on

Hit the fly wheel with a "cookie" and cleaned it up...I dont believe in cutting fly wheels...I had customers complain about a poor clutch pedal so if it couldnt be resurfaced with a cookie I would have replaced it but it cleaned up nicely

Using a motor cycle jack, a spare from a camry and some wood the trans went back up and in.

I didnt get any pics but I put my BudBuilt.com single case cross member in as well as a new stock tcase mount that I had in my 4Runner before I went doubler.

I had the truck professionally detailed, it came out good. I have to have some touch up paint made up and I want to get the bed liner out and have it bed lined ASAP

and with my Runner

Thanks for looking
Mike
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
those tires look massive on it for some reason! maybe the photos are just playing tricks on my eyes...

very clean looking PU
Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Love it man - nice work.

Fink
Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats a great truck. my 87 turbo runner doesnt look that good, but it sure looks good!

i do have some tips, always let the truck idle down or you will end up with a cracked manifold and blown turbo. haha.

ive already upgraded the turbo on mine, well the previous owner did.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
those tires look massive on it for some reason! maybe the photos are just playing tricks on my eyes...

very clean looking PU
Thanks, I was originally going to put 31s on it but I am thinking of going with a 1" ball joint spacer to level it out and then some 33s again. with the turbo it has no problem pushing them along.

Originally Posted by Fink
Love it man - nice work.

Fink
Thanks dude

Originally Posted by weaselman
thats a great truck. my 87 turbo runner doesnt look that good, but it sure looks good!

i do have some tips, always let the truck idle down or you will end up with a cracked manifold and blown turbo. haha.

ive already upgraded the turbo on mine, well the previous owner did.
Yeup, I been letting it idle down usually 2-5 minutes. I am going to pick up a turbo timer for it. When the stock turbo blows up I am going to do the LC engineering replacement kit. For now, its in good shape, no oil building up in it or anything so Ill run it as it is for now. I found a guy who made a down pipe for it with a flex pipe in it (which I hear is why else they crack) but he is no longer making them

-Mike
Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
looks great....nice job on the improvised transmission jack

I would get rid of the drop in bedliner though...had bad luck with one in my '97 Taco..3 years in NY= a lot of surface rust from the way the liner would slide around and scrap the bed...pulled it an line x'ed..no
Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn that pickup is CLEAN, and the 4runner is dirty, just they way they should be.

Nice looking set of garage buddies you have there. /me jealous
Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
looks great....nice job on the improvised transmission jack

I would get rid of the drop in bedliner though...had bad luck with one in my '97 Taco..3 years in NY= a lot of surface rust from the way the liner would slide around and scrap the bed...pulled it an line x'ed..no
That is on the immediate to do list, my stepfather's friends shop does it I am just waiting on him to clear his schedule to fit me in...I might pull it this week anyways, the kid had just put it in and it hasnt scratched the bed rails yet which is good.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Super clean man! Nice find!

Quick Reply: Project: Boosted Brown