Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Problems!?!?!VERY bad week

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Problems!?!?!VERY bad week

ok so here recently there was a Category 4 ice storm that hit oklahoma...welllll...it frose my E-brake cable...so i HAD to drive around with it on for about 2 days...(bad i know)...well..i finally stopped screwing around with it and decided to unhook it..so i did..now my front brakes aren't working right..i have to pump the pedal to get good pressure..plenty of fluid..and i cant see a leak anywhere..any other problems...or course i havent gotten to look at my pads since then..(doing that tomorrow)...but is there anything else it could be..im stumped!!

also..im wondering if i can get any clear marker lights..or corner lights for my '86 pickup...i've seen em for the '89-'95 yotas but not the 84-88 ones..do they make em??

and i sunk my truck during ther ice storm..had about 10in. of water inside the cab...have pic..but have to get it from friends camera..lol..besides draining the diffs...and t-case..and tranny...do i need to change anything else??..like the motor oil?..do i really have to do the t-case and tranny??..

im incredibly lucky i didnt hydrolock the damn thing...i was terrified..LOL..it died when i hit the deep spot in the water...so i had my friend pull me out..it was sittin in the water for about 15mins or so..

im rebuilding my hubs this weekend..and repainting them..will be getting new cv's sometime..i also need a new driverside fender..my door decided to catch on it one day..and it bent it all to hell..im in the process of building tube doors in welding at school...that will be done soon..shouldnt take more than a couple days..lol..the latch will be the hardest part...if anybody has any pics of their tube door latch..i'd appreciate it if i could see them...thanks

im also building a new sub box..a smaller one that way my passengers can recline their seat back...and its allll the way scooted forward..and it wont go back much more than straight up..also need a new tailgate..

will tailgates and fenders interchange between single cab and x-tra cab vehicles..of the same year range..like 86 single cab fender and 87 tailgate..i just wanna be sure..cuz there isnt an '86 anything anywhere around here...lol..

i appreciate the help guys...sorry for the long drawn out post..lol
Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take a close look at your rear brake shoes to see how much lining is left. if there is still a good amount there, adjust them properly and your pedal should come back. by all means, change your diff fluid fr & rr, trans and tcase breathers are up top so you might be ok. check them anyway, gear oil or atf are cheaper than rebuilding a trans.

not much help on the other stuff for you.

lee
Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjust your rear brakes!!

Get your rear wheels off the ground and give them a spin by hand. If you put a moderate spin on them, they shouldnt go around more than 2 times if they are adjusted properly. Anything more..and you have to adjust.

Just a little gear inside the rear brake housing. Just on top of the axle there should be a little oblong rubber grommet. Take that off and take a small flathead screwdriver and tick the little gear just inside there a few clicks. It only goes one way as well!
Old 02-01-2009, 05:21 PM

o yea!!!..i forgot about adjusting the rear shoes...they are supposed to automatically adjust...back up goin pretty fast..then SLAM on the brakes..supposed to automatically adjust them...but i will adjust them manually tomorrow..i think my next mod..is diff breathers front and rear..lol
Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought the rear brakes adjusted when you pulled the parking brake handle????
Old 02-02-2009, 05:08 PM

your right abe..they do..figured that out today...both rear brakes were adjusted properly...i drained and refilled my diff's and t-case today...the t-case fluid was like mostly water instead of lube...lol...it was terrible..so everything is fine now..rebuilding my hubs within the week..cant wait for that..