Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Problem with EGR and removal

Old 02-23-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with EGR and removal

Contrary to the seemingly unavoidable desire so many have to remove/diable the EGR remove cat converters and the like, I thought I would advocate fixing the problem causing the egr to stick, and that the EGR creates.

First I will argue that if your egr is bad, it means that it is clogged or broken, and if it is that way, that means that your intake and all of your vacuum lines are also clogged with dark, caked on, hardened, sticky, carbon.

I am just advocating that you clean out the intake, change out your vacuum lines and pipes. Get the carbon and mook off your egr, or pony up for the new one if it is too far gone to fix.

The egr dumps through a tube (22re anyway) that runs through the length of the intake plenum. The air that moves through it comes out directly after the throttle body. It looks like from the outside, that it goes into the back of the plenum. The goo that hardens gets all over the throttle body plate, causing tps problems, and poor mileage. You gotta clean that tube and the area around the TB. If your EGR is not broken, and the plenum is clean, it will work, and not rob power. AND you will not be braking any laws, or adding to the numbers of little children with asthma.

I replaced mine, because I am that kind of guy, I don't live somewhere that has vehicle inspections. I could attach a jet engine to the back of my car that is powered by liquefied whale lard if I wanted to, because wow wouldn't that be cool!

. anyway....
for some of you removing the egr is illegal, some of you not.

flame suit on
Old 02-23-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna try and block my EGR to see if I gain any performance.

I dont believe in life after death and dont have any kids nore any kids i care about.

[just kidding, but if you wanna argue, please fuel my humor]

hehe
Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still not sure if I want to remove my EGR on my 3vz-e but being illegal is not really a problem unless the EGR police come to your house and look under your hood. It's not too hard to fool the emissions depending on your area. Oh, most of my yotas don't have EGR to begin with because they realized that it sucks. I cleaned out enough carbon from my intake plenum to fill a quart sized container (156k at that point). I run methanol/dH2O injection which does a lot more to reduce emissions and has the added benefit of more mpg's and more power. Besides, I wouldn't feel guilty about cutting out the EGR in my 3.0L engine when I see all of the 6.7L monster trucks cruising around town. Besides, I recycle my beer cans..... hahaha
Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yeah, water actually cleans the engine vs. fouling up the intake area....

Also, reading all the threads on EGR removal, has anyone tried fitting in a brass water valve shut-off of some sort and a valve shutoff for the vacuum line so that it could be turned on/off as desired? to pass emissions for example...??
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR is off when you want it off anyway...that is when you put the foot down. It does not hinder performance, you will see no gains by removing a WORKING EGR. If however your valve is malfunctioning you will see gains by removing it, but there will be no extra performance. You will just get back that stock power that was lost (which I doubt you will notice). Fixing it is obviously the right thing to do, but removing it is cheaper...im in the same boat.

Oh, most of my yotas don't have EGR to begin with because they realised that it sucks
By they do you mean you, or toyota as a company. If the later then this is the dumbest thing I have read on the fourm. Every late modern vehicle has emission control gear, consisting in part of an EGR system much stricter than the old yoters. If yours doesnt have it, its not because toyota thought that EGR sucks...its because it has already been removed or was implemented after production of yours. I was under the impression that all yotas had an EGR valve since day dot however.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A working EGR does not decrease performance.
Fix your EGR. Dont block it off.
EGR only operates under vaccuum, not WOT.
All youll gain from removing it instead of fixing it is higher cylinder temps, maybe even decreased milage.