Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pretty Urgent: How to put on RED FIPG on a W56?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Pretty Urgent: How to put on RED FIPG on a W56?

Hey guys,

Should have asked earlier but my buddy was able to come over and give me a hand on the truck today so we have the leaking W56 out and now apart. After we clean up the mating surfaces, I want to put on FIPG RED (not black, as that's for motor oil and not gear oil I've learned).

I was reading the FSM last night and there is NO MENTION of using FIPG on the surfaces between the 2 housings and the transmission assembly (WTF?!).

Can someone give me some tips on how to best apply? I know I have a 15 minute window to get things together after I start.

Is it like the oil pan, where you do a bead continuous around and on the INSIDE of the 9 bolt holes? How thick is the bead? Do you want to smear it so it's uniform and THIN before putting things together?

Please let me know ASAP. It's not dire, but since he's here for a bit longer I'd like to tackle this part while he's here to help.

thanks!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You've been reading the wrong FSM...apparently.

---

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...ns/37compo.pdf

PS, You have a 5 minute window before needing to remove and reapply, not 15.
HINT: Avoid applying an excessive amount to the
surface.
• Parts must be assembled within 5 minutes of
application. Otherwise the material must be re–
moved and reapplied.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-14-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Thanks hippy! One last thing...do I need to torque the nine bolts right away or just snugged, then torque later?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Thanks again Hippy - I re read the whole part in the FSM link you included above - that's WAY better than the FSM I have (it's strange, since mine is an FSM and is very detailed, otherwise).

I see the torque specs for the 9 bolts in the FSM you linked to - I got that part....what I'm still wondering is about time. Reading through your FSM link it appears you:
1) Attach transmission to the transmission case, using red FIPG
2) Attach bearing snap rings
3) attach bearing retainer with red FIPG
4) insert shift for into TC adapter case
5) engage shift fork into transmission while applying red FIPG
6) connect the transmission& case to the TC adapter case
7) insert 9 bolts and torque it down

that all seems like a LOT more than 5 minutes, if you do it right, and step by step.

Hence my question from last night returns again....can I do it this way?
1) Connect the transmission to the transmission case with red FIPG, and snug it up (maybe with rubber mallett?)
2) Put on snap rings for 2 bearings on the input shaft (bellhousing side)
3) Attach the shift fork, and TC adapter with red FIPG and snug it up, again, maybe using a mallet
4) AND THIS IS probably more than 5 minutes after starting....insert 9 bolts, and torque to spec in star pattern
5) install bearing retainer on bellhousing side with red fipg and torque to spec

I just want to know if you need to do BOTH sides of the transmission plate AND torque down the 9 bolts ALL within 5 minutes, or if you can do each surface, one step at a time, as long as you do it in less than 5 minutes? Is there any reason that waiting more than 5 minutes WITHOUT torquing down is bad, as long as the surfaces are mated, even, and snug by the 5 minute mark?

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to do this right and I have the time today to get this part done.

thanks!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Philbert
Hence my question from last night returns again....can I do it this way?
1) Connect the transmission to the transmission case with red FIPG, and snug it up (maybe with rubber mallett?)
2) Put on snap rings for 2 bearings on the input shaft (bellhousing side)
3) Attach the shift fork, and TC adapter with red FIPG and snug it up, again, maybe using a mallet
4) AND THIS IS probably more than 5 minutes after starting....insert 9 bolts, and torque to spec in star pattern
5) install bearing retainer on bellhousing side with red fipg and torque to spec
That sounds like it should work just fine. And, you might have more time than that to work with really. I'm pretty sure the cure rate of RTV silicone can be affected by environmental conditions(such as air temperature, air velocity, relative humidity, etc.). So when they say 5 minutes, they're probably trying to accomodate for application in a "worst case scenario". In other words, it might need reapplied in as few as 5 minutes. But, on average it probably wouldn't. But since we don't know how much more than 5 minutes it might take, 5 minutes should ALWAYS work. You see what I'm saying?

Anywho, all it really means to me when I read that precaution is Hurry Up and Get It Done. I don't believe I've ever once watched the clock to see how long it took me. Then again, I've never once used OEM FIPG(or it's Threebond equivalent). So who knows if it even applies(to Permatex Ultra RTV)?

And, you're welcome.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-15-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 AM

Thanks Hippy - I totally see what you mean. I will do some dry runs before I break out the red FIPF. I also have the broken tranny to practice on

Thanks for the fast reply this morning!

Phil
Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 AM

Thanks Hippy - got it back together yesterday afternoon and in under 5 minutes. I just have to get the transfer case onto the TC adadpter (which is now bolted to the transmission - the whole thing is standing up on the bellhousing, some blocks). The TC still has some oil in it, which I'm trying to drain out before I put on the clean gasket.

Dumb Q but wil getting gear oil on a new gasket and the metal surfaces in between be detrimental to the seal (I'm thinking I may still get some small drops as I lower the T Case onto everything....)?

And, DO NOT USE RED FIPG with the OEM paper gasket between the T case and the adapter right - just the paper gasket?