Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pressure in cooling sys. and blow-by from oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pressure in cooling sys. HG?

Alright so im poking around the engine bay, and i can not find or make sense where the coolant is going. I have a 22re.

1) there is more than usual pressure in the coolant system. I can tell by the hoses being real firm and when i remove the rad cap, there is pressure released even when stone cold.

2) i pulled the drain plug to see if there was any water in the bottom of the oil pan. CLEAN. Dipstick is clean too.

3)when i check the rad level when cold, the coolant is usually but not always low, BUT the overflow tank is at full mark. It's NOT sucking in replacement coolant. I drive for maybe 50-80 miles and i have to refill a quart or less of coolant.

4)i see no evidence of oil in coolant.

5)see no evidence of coolant in oil, but i do see a little bit of moisture on under side of cap. The oil is clean otherwise. EDIT: oil level is NOT coming up

6)i see nor do i smell leaking coolant anywhere

7) Oh yeah, and i'm getting pretty good blow-by when i remove the oil cap while running.
It has been reported to me that Blow-by is normal with these engines.
8) i see NO white smoke or steam from exhaust when cold or warm.

Any help here is much appreciated. Where is the coolant going? What exactly is wrong? HG?

Last edited by kirkerik; 11-12-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM

BTW: I recently did the radiator and some hoses with agood flush about three months ago. I was topping off for a few weeks as the air was working out of the system. Now it has turned in to this...
Old 02-16-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know why your starting a new thread.
It tends to create confusion and people just move on.

Anyway, If you haven't done a coolant pressure test, then do one.
If you don't have the tester you can rent one or maybe your local auto parts store will loan it out.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
I don't know why your starting a new thread.
It tends to create confusion and people just move on.

Anyway, If you haven't done a coolant pressure test, then do one.
If you don't have the tester you can rent one or maybe your local auto parts store will loan it out.
I thought this new thread would be more "on topic"??

I can do a coolant pressure test, although the coolant system seems to hold a great deal of pressure. See "1)" of my first post. I guess it makes sense to be sure. Next time i can get in to town i will see if i can rent one.

Last edited by kirkerik; 02-16-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by kirkerik
I thought this new thread would be more "on topic"??

I can do a coolant pressure test, although the coolant system seems to hold a great deal of pressure. See "1)" of my first post. I guess it makes sense to be sure. Next time i can get in to town i will see if i can rent one.
You live out in the boonies?
Go to a autozone store, they usually loan them out if you leave your first born with them. JK
Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 PM

Yep, its the boonies for me.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Burp the system and use the correct radiator cap. Air pressure at the oil fill cap is normal for this engine.

Last edited by BamaYota1; 02-16-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From your previous thread I thought there was evidence of coolant in the oil. Didn't you say you had some chocolate milkshake sludge under the oil cap? Honestly after doing the h/g and timing chain on my 22 there is no way I wouldn't do that job to any newly acquired 22. I replaced tons of stuff (oil pump, water pump, gaskets, front cover, belts, HEAD for crying out loud)... it was a great way to learn a new vehicle and it was relatively cheap. I know it sucks but it's kindof a blessing in disguise. Not to mention a rite of passage.

It's only a matter of time anyway. They're great engines but iron and aluminum don't like each other and they expand at different rates. A new Toyota head gasket is good insurance. It's also way easier than it looks. There's lots of threads on how to do it (Chef's comes to mind) not to mention the one in my own sig.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BamaYota1
Burp the system and use the correct radiator cap. Air pressure at the oil fill cap is normal for this engine.
it keeps taking coolant. So i don't know it's burping. Could be... How much air pressure at cap? It blows a little bit of oil on the hood.

Originally Posted by thedrewski86
From your previous thread I thought there was evidence of coolant in the oil. Didn't you say you had some chocolate milkshake sludge under the oil cap? Honestly after doing the h/g and timing chain on my 22 there is no way I wouldn't do that job to any newly acquired 22. I replaced tons of stuff (oil pump, water pump, gaskets, front cover, belts, HEAD for crying out loud)... it was a great way to learn a new vehicle and it was relatively cheap. I know it sucks but it's kindof a blessing in disguise. Not to mention a rite of passage.

It's only a matter of time anyway. They're great engines but iron and aluminum don't like each other and they expand at different rates. A new Toyota head gasket is good insurance. It's also way easier than it looks. There's lots of threads on how to do it (Chef's comes to mind) not to mention the one in my own sig.
I have just alittle choco milk shake under cap, but thats all. The oil in the motor is clean. I guess it is just a matter of time. I am kinda looking forward to a rebuild but i could use a shop and a vehicle to get to work.

Thanks guys for the help.

Does that kinda blowby mean i have to do the bottom end too??

Last edited by kirkerik; 02-16-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 PM

NO! That is not a lot of blowby, and is normal for these engines! Mine does this, and so does everyone elses. If you are worried about the health of your engine, start with a compression test, and post your results.

No offense man, but it seems like you are trying to find something wrong with your truck. Having too high of pressure cap means the radiator and cooing system can't function like it is supposed to. Your truck cant use the reservoir because you have the wrong cap. The correct one is a 13psi cap. Eliminate one issue at a time. Start with the incorrect cap. At the moment, you are running a 16.

Last edited by BamaYota1; 02-16-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 PM

NO! That is not a lot of blowby, and is normal for these engines! Mine does this, and so does everyone elses. If you are worried about the health of your engine, start with a compression test, and post your results.

No offense man, but it seems like you are trying to find something wrong with your truck. Having too high of pressure cap means the radiator and cooing system can't function like it is supposed to. Your truck cant use the reservoir because you have the wrong cap. The correct one is a 13psi cap. Eliminate one issue at a time. Start with the incorrect cap.
^^Agreed, Between his two threads I don't if he's going to re-build or what?
Do you have a Factory Service Manual?
One step at a time.
First step go buy the cap and post back findings.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM

Cool!

No offense man, but it seems like you are trying to find something wrong with your truck. Having too high of pressure cap means the radiator and cooing system can't function like it is supposed to. Your truck cant use the reservoir because you have the wrong cap. The correct one is a 13psi cap. Eliminate one issue at a time. Start with the incorrect cap. At the moment, you are running a 16.
Really! Great! I thought i was in to a rebuild for sure! At least in the top end. I have not seen that much blow by as normal before?

I tried to get toa compression test today but had some family stuff to attend to. Tommorrow for sure!

No offense taken. I understand 'bout the rad cap now. The cap that came with the rad. was not the right spec. I did not look at the pressure rating on it until today. Thanks. I put the old one i had back on until i can get to town for a new one. The old one is 0.9 BAR. (13 psi) thanks again!

I thought the pressure in my coolant system was from compression gasses getting passed the HG somehow. Im glad it may just be the cap. Wow!

Kirk

Last edited by kirkerik; 02-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
^^Agreed, Between his two threads I don't if he's going to re-build or what?
Do you have a Factory Service Manual?
One step at a time.
First step go buy the cap and post back findings.
Yeah, i admit i have had some confusion on this. Sorry bout that. but that's why im asking you good folks

Like i said above i thought the extra pressure in the rad was from a bad HG. Plus i made the mistake of checking oil level on a slope! i thought it was coming up! Oil level is fine and clean.

I think this rad cap might do the trick.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by kirkerik
Yeah, i admit i have had some confusion on this. Sorry bout that. but that's why im asking you good folks

Like i said above i thought the extra pressure in the rad was from a bad HG. Plus i made the mistake of checking oil level on a slope! i thought it was coming up! Oil level is fine and clean.

I think this rad cap might do the trick.
Well then, lets keep are fingers crossed that is was just a radiator cap.
It's always real nice when it works out to be something simple.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Extra pressure means you run hotter and increases the chance of coolant seeping past the gasket.

Not to distract you but I would have swore my factory radiator cap said 14psi, cause I remeber being PO'd when he gave me a 13lb one when all I really wanted was a fresh gasket. Gonna have to double check that..
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

In the future keep it all in one thread!! to be less confusing.

If your still losing coolant and you can`t see or smell any leaks .

Have you looked under the truck like along the underside of the floor if it is leaking at the rear at one of the heater hose connections a small leak like a quart a week might be hard to spot .

Now I can smell when I have a bad heater core but then I have a great sense of smell.

If you start the thread you can really go any where with it.

It is after all your thread .

Now if I was to ask why I keep losing headlight fluid and which is the best brand to use that would be going off topic.

If you ask it is cool.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Extra pressure means you run hotter and increases the chance of coolant seeping past the gasket.

Not to distract you but I would have swore my factory radiator cap said 14psi, cause I remeber being PO'd when he gave me a 13lb one when all I really wanted was a fresh gasket. Gonna have to double check that..
Thanks for the tip.
Originally Posted by wyoming9
In the future keep it all in one thread!! to be less confusing.

If your still losing coolant and you can`t see or smell any leaks .

Have you looked under the truck like along the underside of the floor if it is leaking at the rear at one of the heater hose connections a small leak like a quart a week might be hard to spot .

Now I can smell when I have a bad heater core but then I have a great sense of smell.

If you start the thread you can really go any where with it.

It is after all your thread .

Now if I was to ask why I keep losing headlight fluid and which is the best brand to use that would be going off topic.

If you ask it is cool.
Yeah, i see now that this other thread has made it a little confusing. Even for me. Now im backtracking to the other one filling in... Oh well, i guess i just wanted to get away from the reliability questions? My mistake to ask that one. Especially in the tone i did. Hey, but i was pissed. For no good reason, but i was pissed. Now its looking like it might be just the rad cap!

Not a drop anywhere that i have looked. :rolleyes: i have not looked under the dash or carpet on the passenger side yet. I guess i would have smelled it for sure. I'll take a look...

Last edited by kirkerik; 02-17-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
It could flow along the body or frame rails as far back as the dogleg, and even down to the the rear axel if it got creative enough. If it's not clean and dry it's hard to find leaks, allthough wet mud in the middle of a desert would be kind of obvious

Good luck! keep at it you'l find it. and don't forget to come back and tell us!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:06 PM

Its been a couple of days with the new rad cap (13psi) and the trucks symptoms have disappeared!! Its now holding coolant and it took a little from the overflow tank. So it seems to be working well.

I am so glad! What a releif. Now i can plan an overhaul at a reasonable time. But its running great.

Thanks to all for your help!

Last edited by kirkerik; 02-21-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 AM

The correct radiator cap helped and was workong for a while but... It has been almost a year and i am loosing coolant again. Very much the same way as described in the first post. About a liter per week of driving.

I found a thread where another truck has very similar symptoms:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...gasket-159309/

I start my truck when cold with hood open. The coolant hoses firm right up and the tube in the overflow starts bubbling. Not a lot but a slow steady stream of bubbles. Overflow tank smells of exhaust inside.

I turn off the motor and open the radiator cap (still cool) and the pressure that was in the coolant system dumps in to the overflow tank. Both the radiator and the overflow tank smell of exhaust fumes.

I just thought i'd mention it because this is a subtle set o' symptoms that i have not read much of here at YotaTech.

Kirk

Last edited by kirkerik; 11-11-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Pressure in cooling sys. and blow-by from oil cap