86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

power window harness?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation power window harness?

Hey guys, I have a 93 4Runner that i'm working on.
just figured out how to get the inner panel off.

I bought another door from a salvage yard, but they snipped the wiring on the outside of the door,...tracing the harness it feels like it goes into the power window motor/power lock assembly. Can this harness be removed at all or do I need to splice into the existing wiring???

location of harness, runs along the bottom of the inside of door, splits up into the power window switch on the inner panel and in the other direction goes to what feels like a motor/lock assembly, can't see much as it's underneath the inner frame of the door. Does the harness have a plastic locking clip like most harnesses do?

any and all help will be greatly appreciated, its getting colder out and I wanna replace my door before it gets too cold, my old door is completely rusted out.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Driver's side door? Does your original (rusted) door have power windows and locks?

I can't imagine that you'd want to remove the harness; how are you going to open the window? (The lock will work manually.) But if you don't have the time now, you could a) pull the harness back into the door and leave it there, or b) if they left the wires long enough (probably not) you could pull it through the door jamb and leave it there for now.

Whatever you do, don't lose any of the wiring from your original door. At a minimum, you'll want the connector bodies.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Driver's side door? Does your original (rusted) door have power windows and locks?

I can't imagine that you'd want to remove the harness; how are you going to open the window? (The lock will work manually.) But if you don't have the time now, you could a) pull the harness back into the door and leave it there, or b) if they left the wires long enough (probably not) you could pull it through the door jamb and leave it there for now.

Whatever you do, don't lose any of the wiring from your original door. At a minimum, you'll want the connector bodies.
All doors are power windows and locks. it is both rear passenger doors. The problem is I need to replace the harness from my rusted door, into the newer non-rusted door, the newer door has the wires snipped, hence the reason I am asking if the harness can be removed from the motor, or do I have to take the motor/harness out altogether???
Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I see. You want to remove the "clipped" harness from the salvage door, and use the harness from your rusted door (which harness starts inside the vehicle). I don't have a 4runner, but the schematics I have show, for a passenger side truck door (likely to be the same as rear doors) that there are three connectors; one for the door lock motor and switch, one for the window motor, and one for the window switch.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:44 PM

not 3 connectors on this harness, goes from the door follows the inside of frame, splits off to window (switch on armrest) and the rest goes to the motor/lock. thats all fine and wonderful, what I NEED TO KNOW,...does the Harness UNCLIP from the Motor assembly or does it come out as 1 piece???

I don't wanna be removing bolts from the motor until i know if the harness can be removed from it.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM

nvm,..i found out how to remove the wiring harness from the motor. this issue is now resolved.