Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Power steering pump 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering pump 3.0

Hello I have a 88 and 93 pickup both with the 3.0 v-6 and both have leakey power steering pumps. I can't tell where the fluid is comming from because everything is wet.
Is this usually a line problem or an actual seal in the pump that goes bad?
Is it better to rebuild the one I have or look for another pump?
Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance
Joe
Old 05-15-2006, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
You can get a rebuilt Toyota pump at a local junk yard/parts salvage for @ $120. Mine had made a mess of the engine bay. It is a PITA to remove! If you do it yourself, be sure to remove the vacuum switch on the back side before you attempt to take it off or you will break it off and be stuck having to pay $198 (!!!) for a new switch at the stealer (that's just for the SWITCH!). The vacuum switch is specifically designed to "idle up" the engine when you turn so it doesn't drop rpms. Not really a mandatory item as far as I'm concerned. I broke mine and ended up just not connecting it. Can't really tell any difference!
Old 05-15-2006, 04:38 AM

Rebuild kit from the dealer is $40. Moderate skill required and shop manual, but worth saving the $$.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
advance rebuilds hear. ~$75. both of mine were leaking from the back of the pump itself. make shure you replace the oring on the bottom of the reservoir
Old 05-15-2006, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

I rebuilt mine using this:

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...11powerste.pdf

And this:

http://members.cox.net/stacewilliams/ps-pump.htm

Hardest part was just getting the pump pulley off.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:27 AM

anybody played with the flow control valve to get a bit more assist for off road?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:19 PM

Learn from my lesson (1990 2wd V6):

I rebuilt the pump with a Toyota rebuild kit ($40). I took my time and followed the Toyota service manual and it went smoothly. Only problem was the truck still dribbled fluid. I was a bit annoyed. So with the aid of a small mirror and my wife moving the wheel lock-to-lock repeatedly, I could see fluid leaking from the high pressure line leaving the pump, where the "banjo" fitting is crimped to the rubber line (on my truck this line goes down to the ABS brake actuator). Toyota wanted $260 for a new one, so I had a local tube/hose shop fab me one for $50. I'm finally leak-free again.

Moral: don't just assume it's the pump; try to diagnose the leak correctly before digging into your truck. At least I know my pump should be good for long time, but I doubt it needed a rebuild.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dboatrig
Learn from my lesson (1990 2wd V6):

I rebuilt the pump with a Toyota rebuild kit ($40). I took my time and followed the Toyota service manual and it went smoothly. Only problem was the truck still dribbled fluid. I was a bit annoyed. So with the aid of a small mirror and my wife moving the wheel lock-to-lock repeatedly, I could see fluid leaking from the high pressure line leaving the pump, where the "banjo" fitting is crimped to the rubber line (on my truck this line goes down to the ABS brake actuator). Toyota wanted $260 for a new one, so I had a local tube/hose shop fab me one for $50. I'm finally leak-free again.

Moral: don't just assume it's the pump; try to diagnose the leak correctly before digging into your truck. At least I know my pump should be good for long time, but I doubt it needed a rebuild.
Since you bought the 40 dollar rebuild kit, is that the same thing as what's pictured here:

Thanks man!
Old 05-15-2006, 01:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rebuild kit will fix the leaks only. If you have a bad pump with low pressure it won't do anything for ya. Just replaced mine and agree it's a PITA. I would HIGHLY recommend replacing the pump instead of doing the rebuild cuz this is something you DEFINITELY don't want to do again!
Old 05-15-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Since you bought the 40 dollar rebuild kit, is that the same thing as what's pictured here:

Thanks man!
That looks like it, but I don't remember the part # so don't go by that. Just ask the parts counter for the kit for your specific truck and you should be good to go. PS: I used the same "how-to" link as a reference when rebuilding mine.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Rebuild kit will fix the leaks only. If you have a bad pump with low pressure it won't do anything for ya. Just replaced mine and agree it's a PITA. I would HIGHLY recommend replacing the pump instead of doing the rebuild cuz this is something you DEFINITELY don't want to do again!
Interesting, my experience removing and replacing the pump wasn't all that bad, and I'm definitely not a seasoned gearhead. The pulley nut came off easier than I expected, and the rest was fairly straightforward, if a little messy. Maybe my 2wd truck has a different (easier) procedure than the big dogs.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:33 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was seriously wishing I had pulled the radiator.

No kidding.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:59 PM

My power steering fluid vacuum hoses are cracked to the plenum so I do not have them hooked up. I do however have PS fluid that is coming up through the PS vacuum hoses. Is that vacuum connector bad? I was thinking about blocking that vucuum on the back of the power steering fluid box with a metal threaded bolt.