Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

power steering gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering gone

ok so we went out for some fun in the last night in my 92 3.0 4 runner auto ,
got it stuck in a few deep holes and had to winch it out with a come along and tow strap as it would pull forrward we would try to help it out with the trucks power as well .
so were spinning our tires in the mud back and forth then the whine of the power steering started , we get the truck out of the mud no problem with the truck drove off the trail and noticed the steering was getting alittle stiff half way back the power steering just dissapered.

so in the morning after i stayed up to read about power steering for a few hours ,i went ou to the runner .
i checked the ps fluid was full to the cold line on the dip stick its pink so i figure its dexron which is good smelt a little off though.looked around the rest of the steering componets didnt see any leakin oil and the belt seems tight so i dont think its slipping .

i read that if yer cv r gone this could affect steering as well so i looked at the boots both r torn .

thats my situation any opinions or advice would be great.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:12 AM

Well obviously you have to change your CV's. Put manual hubs on there and they won't turn while in 2WD. That will help a lot on the wear. I bet your boots were already torn and mud got in while you were wheeling. Now the bearings in there are just packed with mud so they are not turning normally. An easy test to see if this is your problem is remove both of the CV joints and go for a ride. If it is still stiff then I'd start looking at the steering box on the frame.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:22 AM

my boots were torin befor for sure i just been leaving them as long as possible befor i change em i have no idea how long they be messed up bought it that way from PO. 2 months ago it has not seen much driving but in that time the steering was fine .
Old 09-14-2007, 08:42 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That happens occassionally with mine, basically heat up/boil the fluid and lose the power assist, then it's better when it cools down. For me, this has been the beginning of the end of the PS pump and why I'm (eventually LOL) going to have a PS cooler.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:46 PM

ok so im on the way home after a day of driving with no power steering and then it all of a sudden it started to work again now i have read this same thing happend to other on this forum ? y and whats happening and im sure its not a good sign of things to come .

but i did order a set of cv's i pic em up in the morning .