Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

power steering

Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering

Hello everyone I have a 89 toyota pickup with the 3.0 v6 in it and my power steering leakes. I think that it leakes somewhere in the line but not sure. I was just wondering if it is possible to take the powersteering off, because on a prelude I had I just was able to take the power steering pump off and loop the lines going in and out of the steering rack. Just wanted to ask some people with some more toyota expirience than me to see if any of you have done this or have any suggestions. Thanks Brian.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
If you're feeling really strong go right ahead.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM

You would be getting a daily arm work out with basic driving and if you were offroad it would be even worse. Just rebuild it or look for one in a jyard.

Brian
Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Talking

Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Can someone tell me what happened to the good of forums. I am in no way new to forums I ask for some info and I just get a bunch of bull and just laughed at me well thanks a lot if anyone has anything usefull to tell me that might be nice thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Clover6KL
Hello everyone I have a 89 toyota pickup with the 3.0 v6 in it and my power steering leakes. I think that it leakes somewhere in the line but not sure. I was just wondering if it is possible to take the powersteering off, because on a prelude I had I just was able to take the power steering pump off and loop the lines going in and out of the steering rack. Just wanted to ask some people with some more toyota expirience than me to see if any of you have done this or have any suggestions. Thanks Brian.
Brian..not saying it can't be done, but why would you want to eliminate the PS? The box was designed for power assist. Do a few seals on the original pump and she'll outlast any aftermarket piece of crap. Of all the pumps I've rebuilt the pumps main leaking point has been the front seal...or the rear oring. I've changed the front seal with the pump still on the motor before...but I wouldn't recommend it, but it can be done. I believe the seal is arounf $5 to $7 or something like that from the dealer...if its a hose...then change it.
Tom
Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94Yoda
You would be getting a daily arm work out with basic driving and if you were offroad it would be even worse. Just rebuild it or look for one in a jyard.

Brian
It's not really -that- bad not having power steering, usually you don't even notice unless you're doing a lot of city driving or park along streets. Parallel parking is also possible, although it can be a bit of a trial.

One thing though, and this is probably the biggie. If you run up alongside a curb real fast or one of your front wheels smacks into a rock from the side, you -will- feel it, and it won't feel good either.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Sure, in a 2wd truck. Also trucks without power steering from the factory have different gearboxes to give the driver a greater mechanical advantage IIRC (I could just be making that up)
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by RustBucket
Sure, in a 2wd truck. Also trucks without power steering from the factory have different gearboxes to give the driver a greater mechanical advantage IIRC (I could just be making that up)
Listen to this guy "WAAAAAHHHHHHH I HAVE A 4WD TRUCK, STEERING IS HARD."

All joking aside, yeah, I think the gearboxes are slightly different, from the pictures I've seen the ones on vehicles without power steering seem a bit beefier.

I've actually been wondering about electrically driven power steering pumps, like the ones in modern vehicles. It seems like a good way to get some power back, and would make upgrading a non-equipped vehicle easier methinks. Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:30 AM

So true... but I like to be able to steer with my pinky!

My first question would be the horsepower necessary to operature the PS system. I believe an advantage to hydraulic systems is their compactness. The hydraulic motor in your steering box would have to be replaced with a similar output electric motor. It might be huge!

Or did you mean an electric motor turning the pump rather than belt drive?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM

Entirely electric hydraulic pump, though an electric motor rigged to an existing belt-driven pump should work just as well. You shouldn't have to do anything to the hydraulic motor in the steering box.

An advantage to an electrically driven pump would be the ease of which it could be enabled or disabled. You could probably make the parts last longer as a result, because who needs power steering when they're driving in a straight line on a highway. Instead of having a pump running constantly, you could just turn it on when you need it.

I -think- that most modern vehicles do something like this with an electrically driven pump instead of a belt driven one, the computer turns the pump on when you turn, and off when you aren't turning. They could be entirely electronic systems, but I'm pretty sure it's just an electric pump.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Clover6KL
honestly the best way to find your leak is to clean off everything with some brake cleaner so something close to that. get a flashlight and someone to help you. fill it up and have someone turn it back and forth. then follow the fluid to the leak. but thats just how i would do it if it was me. starting fluid cleans better if you want to buy some of that gold in a can!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This site has diagrams of every system in the vehicle and lets you find the correct part. Input your VIN and you get the correct part every time: http://www.toyotapartszone.com/genui...ota-parts.html Order a new pressure side pipe if that's whats leaking. If it's the return hose, you can get that at a local parts store. Just ask for PS hose (AT trans hose will work too).

If it's the pump, you can reseal it for about $30 with a Toyota kit: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...riteup-183622/

Take care,
Bugs