86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Antenna + Tree Branch = Jacked up

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Power Antenna + Tree Branch = Jacked up

Like the title says, I went offroading and bent my power antenna all the way back to the windshield so now it won't exactly go down all the way. I tried to bend it back but that just made it worse

I've been looking to put in a new antenna and i read a little about the taco whip mod or whatever, but i couldnt really find enough information to dive right in. I also found these but i'm not sure how they'd work and look and all. i like the idea, but does anyone have any experience with these?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:37 PM

the stleership sells replacement mast for just that problem
Old 03-13-2007, 04:50 PM

as in i'd just get a new power antenna? because i really dont want one, i'd really rather have a whip one that i dont have to worry about.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can just replace the 'mast' portion of your power antenna. It takes about 5 minutes. You'll see what we're talking about when you unscrew the knurled 'knob' at the base of your antenna.

Heck, Advanced auto sells a 'generic' power antenna mast that will work, for under $20. You'll have to swap over a few pieces of your old hardware, though.

Check the last pages here: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...11audiosys.pdf

But hey, if you'd rather pull out your old power antenna guts and stereo just to install a new whip type antenna, then go for it.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:11 PM

yeah i know it's cheap and all, but i have a feeling i'll probably be messing it up if i keep it that way.

maybe ill just learn to be a little more careful, but can anyone give me any more info on the taco whip thing?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I did the same thing to my power antenna. I hate antennas. So I went to Radio Shack and bought a little square pushbutton switch and wired it into the antenna power wire that goes from the radio to the antenna. Now, with the switch off the antenna is down and I can still listen to cd's or Sirius. If the g/f wants FM on the road, antenna goes up in a second.

Cost: about $3.95
Old 03-13-2007, 07:45 PM

dude...thanks. i like that idea a lot. i'll have to go see if i can find one tomorrow. thats really why i wanted a whip antenna, cause i wanted to listen to cd's whenever i wanted. any tips on wiring it or pictures?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 111db
I did the same thing to my power antenna. I hate antennas. So I went to Radio Shack and bought a little square pushbutton switch and wired it into the antenna power wire that goes from the radio to the antenna. Now, with the switch off the antenna is down and I can still listen to cd's or Sirius. If the g/f wants FM on the road, antenna goes up in a second.

Cost: about $3.95
I was seeing if anyone had the switch from an old 1st gen for the power antenna.

I am thinking of just taking the motor out of mine, and closing up the hole and just using the antenna in the rear right window.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Get the parts listed on the Taco Whip mod write up by Bob in the Tech section, dig into your inner fender well and completely remove the power unit and plug in your new antenna.. It's not hard to do and you'll never have issues again. Don't mess with another power one.. they are expensive and you'll just bend it again.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 PM

i agree i broke mine the week i bought the truck. just the other day, finally, i went to the stealership and ordered a stock mount for the base model pickups. i'm putting it in tomorrow. finally i'll have radio again!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
On Off Switch

This is the one I used from Radio Shack. Very simple - there are two terminals on the back of the switch. You cut the antenna power wire and connect one end to each of the terminals. So you have this:

Radio-----switch-----antenna

I just mounted mine under the radio in the little cubby, but I have a 3rd gen. Make sure you don't buy their "momentary" switch, it looks identical.

Best of both worlds... and you'll never break another antenna at the car wash, either.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My '85 4Runner antenna is set up like that from the factory, a separate switch to raise or lower it, independent of the radio. Works great and it is easy to replace the mast:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ent/index.html
Old 03-14-2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Get the parts listed on the Taco Whip mod write up by Bob in the Tech section, dig into your inner fender well and completely remove the power unit and plug in your new antenna.. It's not hard to do and you'll never have issues again. Don't mess with another power one.. they are expensive and you'll just bend it again.
yeah the link is bad in the tech article, thats why i was asking if someone had a link to another thread.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:48 AM

My antenna is stuck in the "up" position. I can listen to the radio, but can't take it thru the woods. Whip mod is going to happen soon.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 AM

I customized mine - lost power retraction but gained woods toughness, field serviceability and laundromat replace-ability.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by UncleBob

Heck, Advanced auto sells a 'generic' power antenna mast that will work, for under $20. You'll have to swap over a few pieces of your old hardware, though.
Do you have any info on this? My mast broke and I'm too cheap to spend the $40 at the dealership. But if I could make a generic one work I'd do that and put in a switch at the same time.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by YotaFun
I was seeing if anyone had the switch from an old 1st gen for the power antenna.

I am thinking of just taking the motor out of mine, and closing up the hole and just using the antenna in the rear right window.
Are you sure that is really an antenna? I thought it was a window defroster because of that window being a blind spot when its frosted over?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get the power mast on E-bay. I bought a solid replacement from Advance for around $20. I wish I had just bought the power mast off E-bay because the dash removal & fishing the new cable through the firewall was a p.i.t.a.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 AM

I think that's just the AM antenna back there......
Old 03-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Brenjen
You can get the power mast on E-bay. I bought a solid replacement from Advance for around $20. I wish I had just bought the power mast off E-bay because the dash removal & fishing the new cable through the firewall was a p.i.t.a.
Cool, thanks for the tip on this. The Stealership wanted 55 bucks for this unit. I just got it for 24.95 shipped. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Power Antenna + Tree Branch = Jacked up