Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Post FJ80 spring installation questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post FJ80 spring installation questions....

First off I would like to thank all the guys on this forum who helped me with information on replacing the stock coil springs on my 94' sr5 4runner with FJ80 rear coil springs. The rear fenders were 33" from the ground and with the new springs in there they are barley shy of 38". I really liked the way it came out and it looks great. I will be doing ball joint spacers in the front since the nose will need to be raised a little. If anyone has any to sell please pm me asap.

Due to financial constraints I have yet to put new shocks in. Right now I have Ranch 251D shocks and I believe they are maxed out, therefore not being utilized and I am only getting cushion from the new springs? I am assuming this is why the ride is so incredibly rough? What are my options as far as new shocks go? I do not need the top of the line since I do not 4x4 all that much. I would like an affordable shock that can help to increase the ride quality because right now I feel every little thing and if I let go of the wheel the car will want to go right and left? Is there anything else I can do to make the ride any smoother?
Below are some before and after pics of how it has turned out so far.
If this thread is similar to something I appoligize, I have searched but to no avail.
Thanks for the help..
Attached Thumbnails Post FJ80 spring installation questions....-runnerlift1.jpg   Post FJ80 spring installation questions....-runnerlift2.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i'm not mistaken (i sold it over a year ago), I used ford f150 shocks on the rear of mine with those springs. Had to get some new bushings for the bottom of them and enlarge the holes a bit, but they worked fine. I can't remember the year f150, but search around a bit as its been covered to death on here.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by grenda
Right now I have Ranch 251D shocks and I believe they are maxed out, therefore not being utilized and I am only getting cushion from the new springs? I am assuming this is why the ride is so incredibly rough?
Yep if your springs want to go higher than the shocks allow you aren't using either one at the top of the travel.

What are my options as far as new shocks go?
Anything you want so long as they are longer. Weight down the back end or jack up the axel, so you can release the shocks and then measure the space between shock mounts.

Of course it dawned on me these are coil over systems IIRC so thats not going to work. The local 4x4 or suspension shop should be able to get you sorted. They should be able to look up the spring length.

In essence you need shocks that are longer than the springs.

I feel every little thing and if I let go of the wheel the car will want to go right and left?

Is there anything else I can do to make the ride any smoother?
Full alignment should fix this, the caster angle has changed with the difference between rear and front. If the shop tells you they can't adjust it you need to find a better shop