86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Post '03 Cummins goes DOWN!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post '03 Cummins goes DOWN!!

I still dont believe what happened....my truck is slow. Here's the run down.

My truck

1990 Toyota 4Runner

3vz-e 3.0L v6
1mm oversized valves
Ported and Polished heads
262* duration camshafts (SOHC)
2.25" cat back
HiFlow Cat
"Turbo Muffler"
KN FIPK

And yes it has a niiiiiice lumpy idle that leaves just after you pass 1100rpm

And now the story!!

Having left work for lunch today, I decided I wanted some Taco Hell to further expidite my speedy trip to the grave with cholesterol!! I turn left onto clark road eastbound, and as I do, I notice what appears to be the remanants of diesel smoke wafting in a slight breeze. My pulse quickens! (I LOVE diesel smoke and go out of my way to actually drive through soot clouds!! ) I quickly scope out the vehicles off my yota's bow and instantly find the culprit: A HIGHLY lifted dodge crew cab short box. The clean-air-assulting rig was truely a bohemouth sporting tires somewhere in the 40+" range, and had an aftermarket diff cover, so I assumed a gear change... To match the tires, it had dual 4" exhausts with 6" tips exiting on both sides behind the tires. I get directly behind the monster and mouth the words "SMOKE! SMOKE! SMOKE!" and grin from ear to ear giggling like a school girl. The owner did not notice and accellerated away slowly only partially quenching my thirst for diesel soot.

A blue C5 Z06 to the left of the monster decides he wants space btwn him and it and takes his LS6 and gets out of "dodge" ( ). As the blue Z06 says bye-bye the black-cloud-generator in front of me nails it, instantly has boost, and starts accellerating. And again with very little soot, and to my surprise, with very little accelleration!! I floor it, catch up, pass on the right, then slow back down for the red light that the Z06 got through with its 405hp, but I and the Dodge didnt.

When the dodge pulls up, I gaze upwards and through the ~15% tint meet the sunglass clad eyes of a girl. I smile from ear to ear and mouth the word "COOL TRUCK!!"

Apparently this action somewhat egged on the driver, for as the cross street light turned yellow he started powerbraking, but not very hard. I would speculate only 1000rpm or so. I do the same but have to hold it at 1500rpm as any more and im pushing my locked front tires forward...lol When the light explodes green I floor it and MUCH to my surprise I immediately start pulling on the dodge. By the top of 1st (45mph) I have about 3 truck length and am thinking, " he wasnt racing me!!"

That thought was immediately stricken when I notice the cloud in my driver's side mirror! The Dodge was blowing the BIGGEST BLACKEST cloud I've EVER seen. By the time I hit 2nd his exhuasts stopped spewing black smoke, the engine's note changed, turbo screaming, and saw him suddenly hold my charge to 4 truck lengths on up to 60. In fact he might have been slooowly reeling me in. I hit 70 and shut it down. (And an extended cab chevy proceeded to kill us both, killing me by 1 truck length.) Dodge shuts down and hangs back. I give a sincere thumbs up out of my window, pull into taco hell to raise my LDL cholesterol level, all the while my hands violently shaking from the adrenaline. God I love my truck!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Awsume!! too bad the heavy chevy beat you both!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
cool story, i like the way you narrarated it. Very entertaining. Nevertheless, congrats and you should feel proud.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's amazing. i just wanna own on the streets of chico. but i'll probably get arrested.......
Old 08-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Wow, awesome storytelling! And slow-@$$ Toyotas rule! Yeah! (You should write childrens' books!)
Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

sounds like that cummins had some serious issues.......like the idiot throwing on tuners and not knowing what he was doing, lol.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont assume a diff cover means a re-gear.....

Then I prefer "sleepers" and "beaters"....

Hmm - maybe a 87 2WD with a 3.4L swap and stock ride height?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chimmike
sounds like that cummins had some serious issues.......like the idiot throwing on tuners and not knowing what he was doing, lol.

You ever on Clark Road near Siesta Key during the week? I see the truck quite often leaving the key and going back to the key around 2pm or so...

BIG, burt orange color, "cum on dis" written on the tailgate in a custom paint job. All of the lift done on it looked professionally done and done well from my ignorant eye. Why they'd skimp on the engine tuning is beyond me, hence why I THOUGHT I'd get my arse handed to me in a big soot cloud. (I was actually hoping for it! )

Honestly I thought it accellerated like a stock 03 would if you went out and threw 44s on it and not change anything else - slow as balls. However will that cummins engine actually smoke when you load it down, off boost, with a set of straight pipes on stock programming?

It kinda acted like it was trying to spin up a ginormous turbo that was too big and had a huge huge lag time...

Even if I start out in 3rd gear in our 6.0 PSD, from a dead stop to WOT, it refuses to smoke no matter what....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 08-30-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

my old man's 06 cummins, bone stock, never smoks, even from low speed punches, etc.

I think maybe they threw in new 'injectors' or whatever they're called, and it's dumping so much fuel that it's actually killing the motor.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:23 PM

great story man. lol. i know exactly where u were on clark, probally passed my house. and i do believe ive seen it. the big dodge. not sure. but the big orange sounds farmiliar. and chevys dont count. nobody likes those. lol.

heres another clark story. im in my new baby, with my beautiful 3.4L monster, completely stock (had it for about 5 days, no chance to play yet, not to mention 0 dollas) and up next to me pulls a pretty little red firebird. now im thinkin, ohhhhhh, i can take that. i was pretty confident. then, low and behold, this pretty little black car pulls up on the other side. this pretty little black car, just so happens to be a 505 hp corvette. thats bout when i realized this was going to be interesting. light turned green, bird nails it, peelin, i punch it, no peel, just straight up go, and the vette decides hes gonna hang back, let us have our fun. i jumped out to about 3 car lengths by the next light, and the bird starts to tail off, thats when the little black car gave in to temptation.

truthfully, ive seen ONE car go by me faster EVER. and it was a stinkin ferrari. that corvette threw down just bout all of its 505 and left a good little peel mark where he decided to nail it. how you leave a peel mark when ur already goin 45 is beyond me.

anyways, thats my little story. i love my new engine, and cant wait to do a little bit of work on it. new air filter, little things like that. its an 04, so its still all pretty in the engine bay too.

ramble off(even though i didnt ramble on, i just realized it)

^_^
Old 08-30-2007, 04:24 PM

on a shorter note, i love that diesel cloud too. ohhhh yea.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:21 PM

gotta love Bumpins stories, there always exciting!

My very own story also......My yota was neck n neck with a New BMW 5 series, i was suprised that my 18 year old motor was neck n neck with a beemer! i love my 3vz-e soon to be 3vz-te

Last edited by shoes138; 08-30-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Psh, that's nothing. I did that in my 22RE truck once.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shoes138
gotta love Bumpins stories, there always exciting!

My very own story also......My yota was neck n neck with a New BMW 5 series, i was suprised that my 18 year old motor was neck n neck with a beemer! i love my 3vz-e soon to be 3vz-te
doubtful that it was racing you.......
Old 08-31-2007, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
doubtful that it was racing you.......
Haha, yeah that reminds me of this time in highschool this kid in a early 80s Civic though he kept up with me off the line from a stoplight in my dad's 84 Porsche 911. I didn't even pass 3000 RPM on my start. The next day his friends kept telling me how great his piece o' crap civic was. I just smiled and let them keep believing.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM

o no he's bemmer was screaming, when we were merging lanes

Quick Reply: Post '03 Cummins goes DOWN!!