Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

possible clutch issue. Help?

Old 08-06-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
possible clutch issue. Help?

Alright I changed the fluid in my rear diff to shut up the Aussie and help it unlock. Well I noticed that if I pull the tranny out of gear when the locker refuses to release it will then let go. If I leave the rig in gear with the clutch depressed it acts like it's still getting power. So? Adjust the clutch right? I did and I was only able to get a couple of turns out of the adjuster before it was at it's end. The clutch pedal doesn't move 4 inches before engaging anymore, now it moves about 1 inch or so but it still feels like it won't disengage. I also checked the fluid and it was low, topped it off but haven't had a chance to drive it yet.

So if I have to replace the clutch (only 175,000 miles on this one if it's original) can any of you recommend a good one? Remember this is a daily driver 90% of the time and a weekend camping/wheeling rig.

Also need to know if this is something I can do in the driveway in a couple of hours on Saturday?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you can press the clutch pedal in and change gears without resistance in the gearshift lever or grinding gears, the clutch is not the problem.
I may suggest a fluid change in the trans is in order as well. Perhaps the fluid in the trans is dragging the gears too much when in gear.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you had to top up a lot, I wonder if you've got a leaking slave cylinder. Have you checked for any signs of leaks?

After you topped it up, did you bleed the system?

Scroll about half way down this article:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...chmaintenance/
Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think it is a characteristic of the aussie. i notice when turning sharp if i depress the clutch pedal it fells like it is engaging and disengaging. i don't have any problems shifting, but i do know there is a lot of slack in the rear diff with an aussie and ZUK said it was normal.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also suspect the clutch master and or slave cylinder of leaking or at least needing to be bled.

If you do decide on a new clutch I would recommend the Marlin Crawler HD, pedal pressure feels like stock but has more holding pressure.

Expect to take most of the day to replace the clutch if you are doing it in the driveway, depends on how much parts cleaning you need to do.

I would also replace the rear main seal and the trans input shaft seal while you are in there.

If you do decide to do the clutch, PM me and you can borrow my tranny jack.

Good luck!
Robb