Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is it possible to change from power windows to manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to change from power windows to manual?

How difficult would it be to get rid of my power windows and go with the old school manual rolling up style in my 88 4runner. I never know when they are going to go out and I want something reliable. i was afraid to go to the ATM today because I am never sure if my window will roll back up. i had to press the button and push up on it just to get it back up the other morning. has anybody done this? what all is involved? thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ive considered this too once i get my 4runner going again. I do believe all you need is the doors off that body style and it should bolt right up. The difference is only the wires. they should just easily disconect. Im not 100% sure but thats what i think.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Anything 1st gen search this guy's site first...

Here is what you need to fix your power window switches.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#WindowSwitch

Old 08-18-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah i'd think the doors would be a direct swap. the bigger issue would be paint matching, but depending on the condition of your truck that may not be an issue...
Old 08-18-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Anything 1st gen search this guy's site first...

Here is what you need to fix your power window switches.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#WindowSwitch

hey man, thanks for that. i have actually already seen that but i don't want to fool with all of that. i am not very electrically inclined so it would be easier for me to swap door panels.

would i really have to swap the entire door? the panels should be sufficient, right? there are a ton of stuff on e bay right now that I think could make this hapen for under 100 bucks total. everything should bolt right up, correct. would i need a new window regulator? i think the electric and manual ones are different. also the crank handles with intact splines and arm rests as well. anything else? door locks should still work as usual, right?

Last edited by whitetaco02; 08-18-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=
would i really have to swap the entire door? the panels should be sufficient, right? there are a ton of stuff on e bay right now that I think could make this hapen for under 100 bucks total. everything should bolt right up, correct. would i need a new window regulator? i think the electric and manual ones are different. also the crank handles with intact splines and arm rests as well. anything else? door locks should still work as usual, right?[/QUOTE]

You will need the doors from a truck or 4runner with manual windows. I bought door panels and regulators for manual windows, the power window doors have the bolt holes in different places.

Anyone have any silver manual window doors for sale?

Robb
Old 08-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Banned

Sure, you can swap from power to manual, but remember, you need not just all the panels but all the guts inside that are different. From tearing a door apart many times, that is a lot more to swap IMO than just fixing a switch. My switches went out and it wasn't hard to adjust/fix them as them come out/off relatively easy compared to swapping all the guts of a door/window.

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:03 AM

Sure, you can swap from power to manual, but remember, you need not just all the panels but all the guts inside that are different. From tearing a door apart many times, that is a lot more to swap IMO than just fixing a switch. My switches went out and it wasn't hard to adjust/fix them as them come out/off relatively easy compared to swapping all the guts of a door/window.

Good luck.

yeah, you are right man. thanks for the reply. they work now so i will just make sure i don't roll them down all the way that way i have something to grap on to if needed. lol
Old 08-19-2006, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How much was the cost of replacing the switch? I plan on swapping in manual doors on my 4runner so i dont have to worry once i get into deep water, but I also like power windows thats also why I ask.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
How much was the cost of replacing the switch? I plan on swapping in manual doors on my 4runner so i dont have to worry once i get into deep water, but I also like power windows thats also why I ask.
I just fixed the ones on my 85 (these were 86 or 87 doors anyway), but eventually stripped the door of all the guts and glass anyway, so I had extras when one of my 87 switches starting going bad...I just replaced it. Both interiors were gray, so it was a no brainer.

Picking up a used working switch shouldn't be too hard to find.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

The way I see it, If my power windows in my '89 chevy truck still work at 280,000 miles, I'm not too worried about my 4runner power windows lasting a lot longer.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=nmtoy]You will need the doors from a truck or 4runner with manual windows. I bought door panels and regulators for manual windows, the power window doors have the bolt holes in different places.

You don't need to replace the doors :pat: You need to replace the power regulators with manual regulators; the bolt holes in the door sheetmetal are all the same in the 1st gen runners/2nd gen trucks, regardless of power or manual, vent window or non vent window. Can you imagine the manufacturing nightmare of having multiple choices for sheet metal inside a door?!
I swapped my manual windows out for power windows and only needed to install the power regulators complete with motors. It's a straightforward operation. However, there is a distinct difference between vent window and non-vent window regulators. The non-vent regulators are longer and have an additional bracket attached to them. You will need to be sure you have the correct ones for your particular set up.
Regarding the door panels, you will want to replace them with manual door panels and crank handles. The door panels can be interchangeable between vent windows and non-vent windows if you swap the inner window channels (held on by clips) with your old ones. There are quite a few choices between the various trim packages- standard, deluxe and SR5 84-86 and 87-89.

FWIW, I used my 88 SR5 non-power window panels with 91 2 door SR5 4Runner switches and armrests. It turned out better than I expected-
Old 08-21-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Willcipher,

Thanks for the correction. Looks like I need to check my parts one more time.

Robb
Old 08-25-2016, 04:34 PM

wait so you guys are saying that '90 + manual window regulators and panels for 2 door trucks will fit 1984-1989 4Runner SR5 non-vent doors? So I want to take my automatic window regulators/motors OUT of my 1986 4Runner SR5 (powered non-vent windowed doors) and install manual regulators in. So what year parts do I need to grab? What year, make and model regulators? panels? I want to keep my door skins and non-vent window panes...
Old 08-25-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
These are both old threads not likely to get much feed back .

Just what are you trying to do??