Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Positive camber with passenger side cam "maxed out"

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positive camber with passenger side cam "maxed out"

I took my 1994 4Runner in for an alignment and was told that the camber could not be fully adjusted due to the passenger side cam bolt being maxed out in its adjustment range. The tech told me that he got it "within spec", though still visibly positive.

The truck has a "2 inch" lift installed, with 1.5" BJ spacers up front and 2" coil spacers in the rear. The camber was noticeably positive even before the BJ spacers were installed.

Anxious about my frame being bent, I got a Carproof report to investigate possible front end collision damage. Nothing in the report indicated serious damage to the front end. There were, however, several minor collision claims around $1500 (CAD) and under.

The truck is in very good shape for the year. When I bought it, the seller told me it was dealer maintained for 15 years. I found it believable considering its condition.

Barring any damage from collisions or being four-wheeled hard, what could be causing the camber to be so far off on one side? Is it possible for worn out LCA bushings to be the culprit? It's driving my OCD crazy having positive camber, but I don't want to spend money on labour and parts to correct this if my frame is indeed bent.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:01 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Measure you frame. Get the frame data from the fsm and start there. Also, not all accidents are reported to the car proof or car fax services... Not all shops participate. If your truck can not be aligned because of worn components the tech should have told you that because he would have noticed measurements changing to much to align. If he didn't say anything was worn, I'd look elsewhere for the problem.
My guess is it took a hard hit to that side and the frame was compromised.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, guess it's time to get out the tape measure.