86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Poser Pics and some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poser Pics and some questions...

I put a 2" Toytec lift kit on my 1995 4Runner, but it doesn't look like it has any lift at all. The front has the 1.5" ball joint spacers, and the rear has the coil springs that came in the kit. I didn't do panhard drop, etc. and still have 31x10.50x15s on. You guys think it looks lifted? What are the original measurements on a stock 4x4 '95 runner? Where do you measure?

Other question, too...why does my IFS have no flex, and what can I do to make it flex??? (I know there've been massive discussions on this, but I've seen some IFS suspension flex like crazy!)

Here are the poser pics:

Pic of bumpstop up front:

Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 AM

lol you're not going to see alot of flex out of the stock IFS system. Those stock length shocks will be your first problem.
Stock suspension, slightly longer shocks on 31's, no sway bars:

Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 AM

I just want to get it high enough to put 33" tires on. I figured the stock shocks were limiting me a little, but I should still be able to see a difference in the ride height of the truck. Hell, yours looks like it's lifited more than mine and you have stock suspension setup...
Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 PM

the sway bar will limit your flex quite a bit. and you won't notice it's not there unless you do 50mph around turns.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
I think if you want to be fitting 33's you might want to to a small body lift and suspension lift. Maybe like a 1 inch body and 2 inch susp if you dont want to wory about extra mods like going with 3 inch body and so on. some people dont have a problem with 33's stock but if you try to go over stuff like your picks you will most likely rub and scrape the fender wells hard. get a lift so they fit, then once you know what kind of lift you want to fit the 33's decide what shocks and all that you want to use.

Last edited by 89whitetoyota; 04-29-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:24 PM

it's kind of hard to tell what your rig actually looks like, maybe get some shots of it just sittin there. And yea x2 about what 89 said. I run BJ spacers cruiser coils and a 1" BL and I fit 33's great.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

...why does my IFS have no flex, and what can I do to make it flex???
A plasma cutter comes to mind........ Not much you can do really. Low pro bump stops, longer shocks, and a sway bar disco is about it.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:19 PM

89, 94, & UK...

I have a 2" suspension lift...bj spacers, taller coils (405mm with no load). My front swaybar is also gone, I kept the rear in for the interstate. I was thinking about doing the 1" body lift, actually contemplating it...what else is needed? I'm sure I'm gonna have to lower the radiator a bit. What else?

What shocks would you guys suggest? (Like what length?) What do you guys use? Most of the stuff around here is sand and dirt, with some rocks at Hard Rock, and some washouts, etc. Most of the people here like to mud...but I'd rather not mess up my truck too bad.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
At 1" a radiator drop isnt needed.
Check out 4crawlers site and do alot of reading !!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got the same lift as you except i got leaf springs cuz its a pickup. i run 33x12.50 with no rubbing on pavement. they do rub sometimes when wheelin tho
Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, your rear has no flex at ALL!

Thats a coil sprung solid rear axle, even in stock form it can flex pretty damn well. Ddi you install longer shocks to accomidate the lift? If not, they are GREATLY limiting your travel.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:33 AM

Jay,

What's up, man? I don't have longer shocks...just the stock ones until I can free up some of that green stuff. I guess those pictures are showing flex in stock form (flexing pretty damn...uh, bad). That's what I don't get...I've got the 2" lift, granted I didn't change the shocks, but there should be better flex there, especially the rear axle. Guess I'll have to wait for new shocks, then new pictures...

Oh...and with a 2" lift AND longer shocks...you think I'll need to extend any break lines, etc.?

Last edited by terrybo3; 05-02-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by terrybo3
Jay,

What's up, man? I don't have longer shocks...just the stock ones until I can free up some of that green stuff. I guess those pictures are showing flex in stock form (flexing pretty damn...uh, bad). That's what I don't get...I've got the 2" lift, granted I didn't change the shocks, but there should be better flex there, especially the rear axle. Guess I'll have to wait for new shocks, then new pictures...

Oh...and with a 2" lift AND longer shocks...you think I'll need to extend any break lines, etc.?

You can put a 16" lift on there and still have the same flex and same lift your shocks will allow. With just a 2" lift you might not need to extend any brake lines, but I would do it just for piece of mind and the fact that I know I will want more lift eventually.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely longer shocks in the rear...with a stiffer spring like lift springs usually are, they won't compress as much, so to get the same articulation, you have to let the other side droop more. I went with OME shocks in the rear and OME springs, don't need an extended brake line. As for the front flex, I don't have my bj spacers in yet, but I can at least get my compressed side to rest on the bumpstops, so maybe you need to loosen your torsion bars a touch.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinlhc
You just couldn't wait to show off that new bumper could you......... Looks good.

OP. As mentioned here you can get some longer shocks to help a little. You can also get some lower profile bumpstops to help with the up travel.

Last edited by Junkers88; 05-05-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
You just couldn't wait to show off that new bumper could you......... Looks good.
Every chance I get. I love that thing and I can't believe how much more clearance I have compared to the factory bumper and hitch. I don't know how I ever off-roaded before.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the people here like to mud...but I'd rather not mess up my truck too bad.
what else is there around here? lol. i suppose you could go "sanding..?" unless theirs some rocks out by you?

ttyl!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Jay,

Hey buddy!

the longer shocks are a must. Most guys claim the 4runner stock flex is limited by the stock length shocks. I belive it...

The shocks are defantly whats not letting the axle hang down.
Pop off the shocks and flex it out, get back to us

You shouldnt have to do anything with the lines. I did a 1.5" suspension lift, no extended lines.

I did however make a LSPV lift bracket to re-gain rear braking power.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 PM

I installed a set of LC coils in the back of my 4Runner and had to throw a set of tires on the tailgate to lower the body enough to hook my shocks up. Yes, it rode like a set of rollerskates and I took them off after a trip around the block. The shocks were definitely my limiting factor. My brake line was stretched pretty bad at full droop.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
I did however make a LSPV lift bracket to re-gain rear braking power.
Huh? Not sure what that means...I mean, I know what the LSPV bracket is, but why does that limit rear braking power (lift with no bracket)? Can you point me in the right direction of building my own bracket?

Originally Posted by MIKEMOKAS
what else is there around here? lol. i suppose you could go "sanding..?" unless theirs some rocks out by you?

ttyl!
There's Hard Rock. That's about it. I haven't been able to get out around here yet and see if there's anything else. What part of FL are you in?

Quick Reply: Poser Pics and some questions...