Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

PleaseHelp!! Were getting closer!!! 93 3.0

Old 03-19-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PleaseHelp!! Were getting closer!!! 93 3.0

Hello everyone i have a 93 3.0 4runner automatic and 4x4. the problem it has been having can be read here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...runner-287335/

This link will take you to my posting about the problem I have been having and what I have done to my truck since.

Here is my UPDATE. I finally got a code!!!!!!!!!!

After installing my jump wire into TE1 and E1 my CEL flashed consistently forever, BUT my O/D light shot me code 62 which, according to the FSM is a
"Severed lock–up solenoid or short circuit– severed wire harness or short circuit"

What should I do next???????????? What exactly does a short circuit mean. I don't think that the lock-up solenoid is toast because the 4runner will run great for a week before having the problem!! I think that a short or a bad ground could be causing my problem. I just need help finding the short or bad ground. Please Help!!!!!! Thanks
Old 03-19-2015, 05:56 PM

Alright, I'll bite. If you think it's a bad ground, check your grounds. We can't do that for you. Not trying to sound like a dick, I think you're on the right path for what it's worth, but you have to do that part. Remove the grounds, clean the surfaces, reinstall. If that doesn't fix it, try your next option. (Whatever that may be)

Also, try not to make multiple posts for the same issue. It makes following your issue that much harder.

Last edited by KBAM; 03-19-2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 03-19-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by KBAM
Alright, I'll bite. If you think it's a bad ground, check your grounds. We can't do that for you. Not trying to sound like a dick, I think you're not he right path for what it's worth, but you have to do that part. Remove the grounds, clean the surfaces, reinstall. If that doesn't fix it, try your next option. (Whatever that may be)

Also, try not to make multiple posts for the same issue. It makes following your issue that much harder.
What do you think my problem is based off my description and the code i received?
Old 03-19-2015, 06:42 PM

Now it's time to get out the multimeter and start checking circuits.

How much do you know about electricity?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shady Cadence
Now it's time to get out the multimeter and start checking circuits.

How much do you know about electricity?
I know some on electricity. I do own a good multimeter, and have conducted tests with it before. Where should I begin?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:11 PM

could my wire harness be severed? I noticed that the wiring harness on my 4runner, at the front of the engine where it crosses over from the battery side to the air intake side right underneath those metal vacuum lines, the plastic protecting the wires is cracked and it seems to have melted some black tar to the wires. I don't see any exposed wires but could it possibly be causing a short right there?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 PM

Well you could certainly open the plastic conduit and inspect the wires. Or you can check the resistance between ECU pin SL (yellow with black stripe) and ground. Should have 11-15 ohms. 1 or less, you're shorted to ground, infinite is open circuit.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ilikai
could my wire harness be severed? I noticed that the wiring harness on my 4runner, at the front of the engine where it crosses over from the battery side to the air intake side right underneath those metal vacuum lines, the plastic protecting the wires is cracked and it seems to have melted some black tar to the wires. I don't see any exposed wires but could it possibly be causing a short right there?
That's definitely worth looking at. That could be your short. Emphasis on "could". Also, I corrected a typo in my first post. It greatly changed the way my response sounded. Sorry about that, my ipad is old.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:56 PM

Well you could certainly open the plastic conduit and inspect the wires. Or you can check the resistance between ECU pin SL (yellow with black stripe) and ground. Should have 11-15 ohms. 1 or less, you're shorted to ground, infinite is open circuit.
Im not getting any reading from the SL pin or any other pin. Maybe i am doing this incorrectly? Black tester to body ground and red to SL pin? I am in ohms, but there is no reading?? Also I scanned codes again and its now flashing code 62, 63, and 64 which are
Severed No. 1 solenoid or short circuit – severed wire harness or short circuit
Severed No.2 solenoid or short circuit – severed wire harness or short circuit
Severed Lock-up solenoid or short circuit - severed wire harness or short circuit

So I'm getting a short somewhere right? How do I find the short? I don't see any bare wire in the wiring harness either.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:17 PM

With the ECU unplugged, black meter lead to ground, red meter lead to Sl1, you should see 11-15 ohms.
if you see no reading, as in the meter doesn't respond to being connected to the circut, then the circuit is open. Go to the transmission connector and BACKPROBE (put the meter lead into the back of the connector, where the wires go in) the Sl1 circuit, see if you get a reading there. If you do, you've got a broken wire between the ECU and the trans.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:58 AM

With the ECU unplugged, black meter lead to ground, red meter lead to Sl1, you should see 11-15 ohms.
if you see no reading, as in the meter doesn't respond to being connected to the circut, then the circuit is open. Go to the transmission connector and BACKPROBE (put the meter lead into the back of the connector, where the wires go in) the Sl1 circuit, see if you get a reading there. If you do, you've got a broken wire between the ECU and the trans.

So, (correct me if i am wrong) based off the codes i got, 62,63,64, my circuit is shorting out somewhere between the ECM and the transmission. And this short can be caused by a frayed wire, or 2 wires touching each other, or something like that. What I am not understanding is how this short circuit, or what it may be, is causing my 4runner to have the intermittent problem it is having. I guess the whole electrical thing is a little over my head, for me mechanical things are a lot easier to comprehend.

could the open/short circuit be caused by a bad ground??? Could 1 bad ground cause these codes to come up and to cause my 4runner to act up, or should I be more focused on the wiring harnesses. The reason I ask is because in order to change the grounds I haven't already done the intake will have to come off and I don't really have the time for that at the moment.

I tried to test resistance at the ECM connector Sl1 but I got no reading. I also get no reading in any other pin. I will be doing the back probing tomorrow. thanks again for all the help
Old 03-22-2015, 04:45 AM

Question

if hes not getting any reading from the ECU when hes using body ground, could that mean the ecu isnt grounded? Sorry if its a dumb question, I've also got a 93 runner 3.0 auto 4x4 and i'll be looking back to this thread if i run into this problem.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Maiato
if hes not getting any reading from the ECU when hes using body ground, could that mean the ecu isnt grounded? Sorry if its a dumb question, I've also got a 93 runner 3.0 auto 4x4 and i'll be looking back to this thread if i run into this problem.
That is a very good question. Btw, I am supposed to be probing the connector not the ECU itself right?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ilikai
That is a very good question. Btw, I am supposed to be probing the connector not the ECU itself right?
Correct, UNPLUG the ECU before checking the circuit. Verify you have a good ground on your meter by touching the red meter lead to ground somewhere else. Then check the ECU grounds, terminals E1, E01 and E02. Then re-check Sl1.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Correct, UNPLUG the ECU before checking the circuit. Verify you have a good ground on your meter by touching the red meter lead to ground somewhere else. Then check the ECU grounds, terminals E1, E01 and E02. Then re-check Sl1.
I am not getting any reading on any pin.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:55 PM

Touch your meter leads together, do you get a reading?
Old 03-22-2015, 04:05 PM

Touch your meter leads together, do you get a reading?
Yes, 000.0, which is infinite right?
Old 03-22-2015, 05:29 PM

no

000.0 is no resistance, no ohms, a solid circuit.
and what does it read when they are separated? OOR? OPEN? OUCH?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 AM

When they are separated it reads 0.L. When I touch them it reads 000.0, it measures my battery correctly at 11.9 volts.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:51 PM

Just took the 4runner for a 5-10 drive because no codes were showing up this morning. So i took it for a drive to see if I could get the codes to come back up. I literally just checked for codes and there are NONE now. What could be causing all of this???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PleaseHelp!! Were getting closer!!! 93 3.0