Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

please help im crying here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please help im crying here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i was at my buddys house today like always but this time is differnt. Well i get in my truck and start no biggie, then i start driving and i forgot my laptop. Well i turn around and go back i go in the house and come back out. heres the kicker. i see smoke coming from the head lights so im thinking well i didnt use them for a wile so maybe theres just mud or something on them. I start driving and i smell this oil burning smell, so i start watching the oil and temp gauges alls fine. I get home and get the light and the cord to see whats up, i pop the hood(can open it from outside no need for the poper thingy under the dash) and i get hit in the face with this cloud of smoke i drop the light and jumo in through the window and shut her down. Then i get the light again and my engine is covered in oil everything!!! I look and what do you know someone stole my oil fill cap!!! but heres my question now. Is there anything wrong with the wires, conectors, plugs, wires, starter, gaskets, anything when hot oil gets sprayied on them? please i saw this and started crying cause this is my baby i just rebuilt her and i really dont wanna do it again please help me!!!

heres the pictures sorry im not going to put any text on them so just look its hard to type when your crying

and go ahead and flame me for crying cause i dont care!!!

this is from sittign for only 3 minutes

please help me and say everythings ok and no i didnt restart it as theres no oil in the pan as of right now im going to wait till i get a newer oil cap from the junk yard tomorrow as with new oil and i have to try and find a amsoil guy here in milwaukee now yay thanks for any and all your guys and girls inout but please say everythings ok!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
o my that is a nasty mess i dont think it will hurt anything just clean it good with some castrol super clean
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM

i hope nothing bad but how does someone just take someones oil fill cap????
Old 07-08-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of a douchebag steals someones oil cap, either way i doubt it heart anytihng, just change the oil and give it a go
Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 PM

Bust out the de-greaser and the pressure washer! Get an oil cap and fill her back up. If it wasnt ticking or the temp gauge didnt shoot up in the red then you are fine!!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Banned

The real question is, how does someone open your hood and take your oil cap if the truck is locked, its not like the latch is on the outside like my '73 Econoline was, some hick at school always popped my hood and pulled my front plug wire, that darn Inline-Six was always running on 5 cylinders when I left the parking lot! Then I smeared dog crap all over his door handles and windows.. Amazing what some crack and a paper sack can do eh? Are you sure it didn't somehow come loose? Or break or somethin?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 PM

my heart feels for you

but seriously, what kind of jerk would steal an oil cap??!!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 PM

Shouldn't be that bad, just give it a good shampoo......when's the last time you put oil in it?

yeah the oil was good well it was a lil low but not real bad and the temp never went up at all stayied kinda low not sure why though

and the messed up thing is on my way home a guy pissed me off so i took her to the rev im glad it didnt go poof right then and there i guess i can realy rebuild a motor oh and no it sounded just fine driving and idleing so i guess the motors fine then it just scared me when i saw this!

and i know right watch out guys who cares about the cats right theres a one million buck share on yota oil caps!!

I'm surprised your car kept running even without the oil cap, I remember someone posting on here that taking out the oil cap creates a vacuum leak and shuts off the engine.

Only way you will find out if its fine is to get some oil in there and another cap back on and start her up... from there you can decide if anything is fine.

I would also give the distributor cap and wires a good cleaning, and wouldn't worry about anything else.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by esoterik
I'm surprised your car kept running even without the oil cap, I remember someone posting on here that taking out the oil cap creates a vacuum leak and shuts off the engine.

Only way you will find out if its fine is to get some oil in there and another cap back on and start her up... from there you can decide if anything is fine.

I would also give the distributor cap and wires a good cleaning, and wouldn't worry about anything else.
hahahaha

Anyone know where I can find this thread? I bet its a hard to find thread....
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 PM

This happened to a friend of mine down in So Cal. My buddy called me from work, saying that when he pulled up at work, he smelled burning oil and saw smoke coming from under the hood. He popped the hood, and everything was covered in oil, and his oil cap was gone! His EX stole his oil cap, and left a nasty note for him at his work saying that he loved that truck more then her, yadda yadda yadda (the broad needs meds). Well anyway, I took him a new cap, 5 qts oil, and degreaser. Put the oil in, new cap, degreased and started the truck. NO PROBLEMS at all. We checked all the wiring as best we could when he got home, and everything was fine. Nothing burned up at all.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:32 PM

rony lol, well it was a little differnt starting but my god she had some power spon 1st and a lot into 2nd thats why i knew there was something wrong!!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:36 PM

<----thinks you should find a way to lock that hood of yours....
Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 PM

you sure that someone stole your oil cap and it was just on loose and came off.
I have known a few people who have left the cap off after adding oil.
when I first got my ford I found 2 oil caps lodged down on the side of the motor.

check and make sure your oil cap is not sitting somewhere in the engine compartment or on the exhaust manifold.

I have also found brand new spark plugs on top of the starter on my 3.0.

as for the oil all over the inside it will be fine I would just spray it down with a degreaser like purple power or greased lightning and hose it out with some hot water. after you get a new cap of coarse.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 PM

well thats the kicker man i checked the oil this morning and i was a quart low and i didnt have any amsoil to fill it so i tightened the cap made sure it wont come off and i looked all inside under and everywhere under that hood the caps gone

plus if i did take it off and i just dont remember then it would have smoked when i got to my buddys and there would have been oil under where i parked and there isnt any i parked on his drive way we would have saw it!! but when i got home theres oil everywhere so i dont know

as for the locks oh yes im going to be looking into the hood pin locks and i cant shut the hood all the way cause of the over sized rad in there so im going to be looking for some locks now!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

its okay man, everything should be well

like posted above, get couple cans of degreaser and go to town...
get a scrub brush and go gently around the wires/connections
other than that. giver!

ps. ive had this happen to my buddy, its not something fun to deal with.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM

yeah i know im just a lil broke here i just left my wife and baby to move back here and im looking for a job cause i though theres more here and then this happens and now i broke thank god im living with my roomies (mom and dad) so ill try anything and everything as for the washer i dont have any money for that what about a garden hose would that work maybe?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 PM

DEEP BREATHS............lol
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Banned

wtf who the hell would steal an oil cap

Quick Reply: please help im crying here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!