Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Please Help Diagnose: 87 4Runner Tranny sounds *violent* now

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Please Help Diagnose: 87 4Runner Tranny sounds *violent* now

Hi guys,

So, my truck's been running fine, until the last few days, where I've noticed that my transmission is making some strange noises/vibrations.

The truck has 269K on it and I had a new clutch and remanned transmission installed about 4 years/20,000 miles ago. No issues with either.

Again, this all started very recently, and I haven't driven the truck any differently than I normally do (around town and some freeway commuting).

In gears 1-3, and 5, when I accelerate I hear a "meshing" sound coming from the drivetrain - it's very audible and more so in lower gears. When I engage the clutch in first, I feel a slight vibration on my left foot through the pedal as it engages. Once engaged, I don't feel it.

In 4th gear, there is ZERO sound, however, when I shift into 4th from 5th and 3rd, I feel a slight vibration in the shifter that I don't feel in the other gears.

It's really hard to describe the sound, but it sounds metallic, and "meshy" for lack of a better word. I wouldn't use "grinding" since I don't feel like I hear/feel gears physically grinding. Think of the sound like if you were to slowly say "shhhhhhhhhh" but loudly. The truck performs the same otherwise and I don't see any leaks.

Any clues to what this might be, and what else to look for to fully diagnose? Is my tranny about to fall off on the freeway (my wife thinks so ).

Thanks guys,

Phil
Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is it full. check opil level
Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 AM

like a whizzing sound? primarily 3rd and 5th? hey get outta my truck! lol

that's what i have anyway, quiet in 4th, but whirring/whizzing more than grinding, in 3rd and 5th under acceleration.

my research suggests bearings in the trans are failing. i've considered adding the lucas heavy oil additive to try to quiet it down until i can find a W56 for cheap.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
like a whizzing sound? primarily 3rd and 5th? hey get outta my truck! lol

that's what i have anyway, quiet in 4th, but whirring/whizzing more than grinding, in 3rd and 5th under acceleration.

my research suggests bearings in the trans are failing. i've considered adding the lucas heavy oil additive to try to quiet it down until i can find a W56 for cheap.

Yeah that sounds like what you have.....

I'll check the oil level and see if that's an issue. Strange that it JUST started out of the blue though....I'm not leaking.

And it's a new (remanned) tranny with not many miles on it.....surprised it would crap out this soon.

What Lucas product are you talking about?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who "remanned" the tranny?

Was it done by a quality company like marlin crawler? or was it done by some chincy use made in china parts and get it done kinda company?

if it wasnt done right its not gonna last long.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by son_of_a_lc
who "remanned" the tranny?

Was it done by a quality company like marlin crawler? or was it done by some chincy use made in china parts and get it done kinda company?

if it wasnt done right its not gonna last long.

Not sure....done through my local mechanic - this was before I learned a ton about cars and started doing my own work.

I'll check the oil level, and contact the mechanic to see who his source was.

Do the symptoms sound to you like bearings? Oil? Both? I'm still surprised that it's so sudden.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 AM

lucas works great. i used it on my 88runner with 22re in the tranny and the whine and grind went away. it was only supposed to be a bandaid but it lasted 3years till i swapped out the dtrain. and it wont make noise in 4th because 4th is direct drive 1:1 ratio no gears
Old 09-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Thanks! Its just called lucas heavy oil??
Old 09-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Looks like the Lucas oil might do the trick:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ditive-115358/

Still need to check oil level anyway, which I'll do, and I'll probably add Lucas regardless of the level.

Phil
Old 09-21-2011, 01:57 PM

lucas oil treatment
Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Got Lucas....

Hey guys,

thanks again for all the replies and recommendations. I drove it yesterday and it sounded about the same/little worse. Tried to keep it in 4th as much as possible.

Picked up some of the Lucas Heavy Oil that was recommended - that stuff isn't cheap!

Here's my dilemma: I can find the drain plug no problem, But cannot identify the fill plug (I want to open this one up first of course!).

I checked the FSM and it says it should live HERE, next to the clutch fork (APPARENTLY ON THE DRIVERS SIDE):

Granted, this is a 1988 FSM and my truck is a 1987 4runner....maybe the transmissions are different but I thought they were both W56?

OK, so I got under the truck last night and snapped some photos from both sides and I don't have my clutch fork on the drivers side - it's on the passenger side, and there appear to be NO FILL PLUGS on that side at all. On the drivers side, there are a few bolt heads and some sensors (guessing reverse switch and speedo cable).

Here's my truck:

Passenger side with clutch fork/booth, and ZERO drain plugs (there are a few threaded holes you can see here, below the clutch fork booth):

And now, the drivers side (front of truck is to the left):

Underside (pretty hard to miss the DRAIN plug!!):

So, I've changed oil with GL5 in both my differentials, but not the transmission, since it was replaced relatively recently. I feel like a n00b for not knowing which plug is the fill plug...but I'm really confused by how the FSM seems not to relate to my transmission??

Can someone please set me straight, who's done this before?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM

Fill:

Right where the FSM said it was.

Last edited by BMcEL; 09-23-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 AM

i google searched "w56 refill" and found a link to an old thread right here on YT:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...l-plug-231874/

always try searching with google rather than the YT search bar. the results are easier to sift through.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Thanks guys - that's the one I had suspected:

Still find it strange that the 87 and 88 have the clutch for on different sides?

I'll let you know if the Lucas oil/GL5 refill do the trick.

Any reason to avoid driving this until I do that? Were heading to in laws this weekend, and that's about a 250 mile round trip....we can take another car but like the flexibility of the truck.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:51 AM

HI everyone,

I yesterday afternoon I drained the transmission oil (it seemed to be at the right level, but the drain plug had a fair amount of dark grey gooey stuff on it, along with some fine metallic flakes). I poured in the bottle of Lucas, and then topped off with GL5 oil until it came out the fill hole.

I drove it up here to my in laws last night (120 miles or so).

The noises are still there, but much more subdued. The grinding into 4th gear seems gone, and the clutch vibration in the lower gear engagement also seems gone.

So, it's HELPED, but the symptoms are still present.

Should I be worried about this - is it a time bomb, or just an annoyance (this I can deal with)? I just don't want to have it blow up on me when I'm out of AAA range from home

Phil
Old 09-24-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If i was in your shoes i would start saving for a marlin rebuilt unit or a good used transmission. Drive it until it craps out and replace when needed.
i nursed a transmission problem for a couple years in my lest truck until it finally crapped out on me. I had the foresight to save a little cash on the side and bought a brand new toyota transmission from the dealer for a very good price. I think it was around 1600-1800 if i remember right.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Looks like about $1300 for a Marlin unit.

So, when it craps out, will it just start slipping? When I got the remanned unit, the OEM unit would not hold 4th gear anymore - it just popped out - is this what I'll see again before it goes fully kaput?

Right now, it's just noise that's present - otherwise the tranny performs just fine.

I drive the truck between 5,000 and 8,000 miles per year - not that much.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Philbert...

Just thought I'd throw this out there...........

In LA, AA-GEAR is one of those 'HUGE' suppliers of almost every gear or syncro or WHATEVER to the trans shops... gear shops, etc....>need. THEY ALSO do Trans rebuilds.... My W56 will be around 510$ COMPLETELY gone through..... 375$ for minimum repair and 150$ just to tell me what's wrong. They also pick up and drop off. They came to me by almost EVERY machinist and REPUTABLE shop(like J.A.C.), and I'm using them, NO DOUBT, when I've finally had enough of grinding my teeth everytime I put it in 4th! lol.

Sounds like you're MUCH worse off at this point..... or, AT LEAST a bearing issue.

If you're interested, I can get you the number. I know, it's a ways, but for 600$ savings??????? Totally up to you, let me know. .....And, sorry to hear, man!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 PM

i know some1 with the w56 forsale with the t-case, its out of a pickup though, he wants 300$ if you can afford to ship it from fl lol!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by westjohns yota
i know some1 with the w56 forsale with the t-case, its out of a pickup though, he wants 300$ if you can afford to ship it from fl lol!
See, that's the thing... Not trying to think for Phil.... but personally, I would rather pay 510$ to have all new bearings, gaskets, seals, syncros and gears fully inspected, with a decent warranty, too, ... ya know? Course, that's without the T-case... but that's not as likely bad.

Quick Reply: Please Help Diagnose: 87 4Runner Tranny sounds *violent* now