Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please help.. A/C on '88 p/u I just bought

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help.. A/C on '88 p/u I just bought

Hi all,
Thought I might get by lurking and looking but to no avail... Just bought a really sound '88 p/u 22RE, 5spd, 4WD for very little and drove it home after 2 yrs sitting... shows 233,000 on odo. no smoke and good oil press.. I live in Savannah, GA and know I'm gonna be needing some A/C before long.. My system still has some R12 in it and has never been changed over.. Sticker #1 is that the pushbutton on the dash is missing.. found a square 4 wire plug behind radio but it doesn't look like it will plug to any of the "toyota a/c switches) that google shows in images as they all appear to be 5 pins. This plug is white plastic w/lock tab and has four pins rectangular 2x2. Anyone know where to look for a new switch or is this gonna be a JY only item. Biggest problem is don't even know what the original switch looked like,, and I've got haynes and chilton book.. laughable what crappy wiring diag. they both have. Can I go w/just a toggle or pair of toggles? I'm assuming it's a DP/DT switch but that's just a guess.. the diagrams I have don't even show what color wires go the the darn switch. any help, direction,instruction, cheerleading, or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm "old school" and can usually figure a way around but so far I haven't even been able to find enough info to know what the switch is actually switching except the obvious.
Ya got a great website and lotsa info here,, just wish I could figure a way to make some $$ researching,, already spent waaay too many hours on this 1 simple item.
Thank y'all,
BB
Old 03-27-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
on '93 (anyway), the switch has 5 pins to cover the switch, the panel light, and the "on" LED. http://web.archive.org/web/201102052.../2aircondi.pdf I don't know how to help you decode the a four wire plug.

The actual switch is probably this one: http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/TO...466089102.html

But before you start biting off a $45 switch, consider taking your pickup to an A/C professional. Every part on that truck is 28 yrs-old, and the missing A/C switch tells you something about how long it's been since your A/C has worked. You may be in for replacing the compressor, the condensor, the expansion valve, the evaporator or all of them. It could get expensive in a hurry; someone could you give you a guess at least for what you're in for.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is the only pic i have from the a/c switch, it came from my '87 4runner which is the same for the '88 p/u trucks. Sorry the pic is really big. Name:  P1060188.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  69.7 KB
Old 03-28-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Maco,,, spent some time today trying to sort it all out, Compressor works w/jumper from battery, in area where radio was I have one red/green stripe/black rings and one white/red.. these are in same harness, so I'm pretty sure these were original for cig lighter. Have a 1-Blue/yellow/red band HOT always,2-solid white Hot always 3-Green/yellow/red band(this is hot w/lamps on. 4-Brown/black??? and then the 4prong plug which has White/black----Green/Red----Red/Black----Black/white..this plug looks like the #8 plug on the link (archive diag) you sent which on there it says blower fan resistor But my blower fan works properly. Didn't test them out today but I will tomorrow.The Brown plug on the end of the switch harness looks square in your pic and that may be a fit.. Anyone know how/where to get my hands on a FSM for an 88???? I absolutely HATE electrical... Never saw a vehicle with so few wires that go hot /key on..
Old 03-28-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I hope it works. https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ua48qmsg5...m_ocr.pdf?dl=0