Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Please help!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help!!!

Ok so I have this problem with my 1992 Toyota pickup, 4wd, 2.4L 22re. Here's the problem- when I give it gas at 3/4 pedal it has no power. It's like the truck is off and the motor is only running because its in gear and I'm moving. But if I barley give it gas or have it floored it runs fine. It also searches for an idle like goes high then low high then low. ( I notice this more when I'm at a red light and my foots on the brake) but it does it without the brake too. The idle search has been a problem for a while though. Longer than that no power problem. Here has what I have done to try and fix the problem- air filter, gas filter, cap and rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, checked all my vacuum hoses for cracks, intake manifold gasket(both of them), fuel injectors, and whatever it is at the end of the fuel relay that has a vacuum hose and a fuel return line. I can't think of what else it could possibly be. I have replace everything. I'm thinking its going to be something stupid but please help!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check and test the TPS (throttle position sensor). See the link and pages 1-2. You'll need a multimeter to do it. A bad TPS could read that your throttle is in a different position than it really is causing it to do all sorts of weird things.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34throttle.pdf
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM

Yeah, I would second it being the TPS. That would be the first thing I would check.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM

I had similar problems and the TPS was the problem.
My bad TPS made setting the initial timing impossible also.
when replacing it I found it a lot easier to take the throttle body off to adjust the replacement TPS properly.
Gamefreakgc gave you a link that expains howto set it up
Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I'd be more likely to suspect the AFM than the TPS. I don't think the TPS has the parallel resistors like the AFM so it would happen past "point a"(3/4 throttle, in this case). The AFM can have a dead spot and work perfect every where but at one(or many) spot(s).

It also searches for an idle like goes high then low high then low. ( I notice this more when I'm at a red light and my foots on the brake) but it does it without the brake too.
Check and adjust idle, and no you can't just do it by ear you need an RPM guage of some form.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Hey guys thank you!!! It was the TPS

Search this Thread