Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Picture of v6 radiator drain cock?

Old 01-10-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picture of v6 radiator drain cock? Radiator experts-HELP!

Odd question, I know. But I need one to send to this place to show what I'm talking about.
Back story: I ordered a radiator from radiator.com, whom I've used many times with no problems. I was assured this was an "OE quality unit, made to meet or exceed OE specs for $155.00 delivered 2 days." Well, looooong story short (warranty issue, overcharged for shipping etc) I got it today, and it's a brand called "Reach Cooling" model DPI 50. Chinese, cheap looking radiator.
I took the thing out of the box after having to deal with several invoicing issues on the phone, and about 1/4 of the fins are covered in paint. It looks as though they just dipped it in a vat of cheap ass black paint and maybe blew most of it of with some compressed air at the factory to clean *most* of the paint off the fins. So I proceed to get my fin comb out and clean up the rest of the fins. The paint chipped off quite easily (which makes me wonder how the paint will hold up on the rest of the unit) and I was done in about 5 minutes. But I was P.O.'d I would even have to do that in the first place.
So, anyway I get looking at this thing closer, and it has a completely different type of drain cock on it than any other yota I've ever seen. One of the nice things about our trucks is that little drain hose sticking out of the skid plate. SOOOO handy for draining, flushing etc and doing it RESPONSIBLY by just sticking that hose in a convenient container & recycling. I guess with this kind it will just pour out? So I call and bitch more about the quality and how I could get it locally as cheap, and online cheaper. I tell them I could get it from www.rockauto.com for $139, and that the link on their own site says they'll beat ANYONE by 10% and they take $15.00 more off. STILL not beating that price by 10%. She said it's the best she can do? Whatever. So, I'm at a total of $140.00 shipped for a seemingly low end radiator with a "lifetime" warranty (whatever good that is) and a drain cock that's nothing like our regular ones. About the same as I could find anywhere locally. I don't know what to do as I was assured I was getting a very good replacement, and I got a low-end replacement at a not so great price.
So, all that said, I think I could do better, and get a better product. What the heck should I do? Write them a scathing letter? I've sent them $1000's in business the last few years.
Thanks guys,
Jason

Last edited by jasonbrink; 01-10-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would return it. Even if you have to lose some cash.

Why? It looks used and not properly refurbished. And that drain cock sucks. I have that same style on my Ford Truck and it gets coolant all over the place.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:47 AM

Ok. Here's the deal. I work for 1800RADIATOR (aka radiator.com) in the wholesale department. I'm asuming you delt with retail. Let me tell you, they can't tell their ass from Oly's hole! I don't even think we have OE parts for 4Runners. If you ever call again, you could ask for Steve in wholesale, I'll help you out. Maybe get you a Spectra (made in Canada, probably the best of aftermarket brands) or something of higher quality. Reach is the "bargain brand". And that drain plug doesn't surprise me one bit.

I don't really think a letter would do much. You could try, but I don't know.

By the way, where are you located?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by the_4runnin'_beast
Let me tell you, they can't tell their ass from Oly's hole!
Steve,
Thank you so much for responding. VERY well put, and quite true! This girl I ordered from sure was something....
I'm not trying to slam radiator.com at all, they have helped out so many people I have sent them, and fixed most of their mistakes on this order.
BUT....
I am so disappointed with this radiator, and I know it won't last. I don't want it, not with the drives I have to make in this vehicle. Now that I think of it, all the people I sent to radiator.com over the past few years that were so happy with their purchases ALL had domestic vehicles, I'm sure that made a big difference.
I have only found a few radiators that have this spigot. One is from "Worldpac" brand, who looks like theirs has the little drain spigot or one listed as "PERFORMANCE" brand (looks just like oe) from www.rockauto.com But then I go to http://www.usaradiator.com/index.php....x=90&Rad.y=24 Who is the only link that comes from google for this "performance brand" radiator, it shows what looks like the same picture as rockauto.com, with a $75 cheaper price, and it lists it as being only two rows, mine is three.

When I called radiator.com, they said the 1992 3.0 v6 a/t with a/c 4runner was a real tough fit for some reason, maybe cause that was the first year with the newer 2nd gen headlights/grill or something. Most likely. And as I look at a bunch of other sites, I see they have several different versions of radiators for this model year, so maybe they were right on that. This is so $#%$#^^%^ confusing, and a PITA I don't really need right now.

I want a replacement radiator that has the normal toyota drain cock, and is a good quality unit, that genuinely fits my 92 3.0 v6 a/t with a/c 4runner.
Oh yeah,
I live in Pine City, NY 14871
Thanks so much for your help.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:22 AM

No problem. I always hate hearing about retail messing up someone's order or (it seems) just flat out lying to you. CSF makes OE quality rads for your 4Runner (for future refrence) looks like the closes warehouse that has it is in Texas, which is why they didn't send you one. They did have a Spectra (50SP) in Philladelphia (your closest warehouse, but for some reason sent you the Reach. Maybe thought you wanted the cheapest, they tend to do that. I don't know if you want to exchange or what, but because is is a FEDEX delivery and not local, they would have to charge you for the second rad and then send you a return label for the other part and then refund you the money upon receiving the old rad. Whole lotta crap.

And I don't see why this was such a "hard fit" because that rad fits all 4wd 4runners from 1988 to 1997... Just as for Steve next time! =D
Old 01-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
order a new one from www.radiatorbarn.com

Last edited by Elton; 01-11-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 AM

They are pretty good...
Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by jasonbrink
Steve,
Thank you so much for responding. VERY well put, and quite true! This girl I ordered from sure was something....
I'm not trying to slam radiator.com at all, they have helped out so many people I have sent them, and fixed most of their mistakes on this order.
BUT....
I am so disappointed with this radiator, and I know it won't last. I don't want it, not with the drives I have to make in this vehicle. Now that I think of it, all the people I sent to radiator.com over the past few years that were so happy with their purchases ALL had domestic vehicles, I'm sure that made a big difference.
I have only found a few radiators that have this spigot. One is from "Worldpac" brand, who looks like theirs has the little drain spigot or one listed as "PERFORMANCE" brand (looks just like oe) from www.rockauto.com But then I go to http://www.usaradiator.com/index.php....x=90&Rad.y=24 Who is the only link that comes from google for this "performance brand" radiator, it shows what looks like the same picture as rockauto.com, with a $75 cheaper price, and it lists it as being only two rows, mine is three.

When I called radiator.com, they said the 1992 3.0 v6 a/t with a/c 4runner was a real tough fit for some reason, maybe cause that was the first year with the newer 2nd gen headlights/grill or something. Most likely. And as I look at a bunch of other sites, I see they have several different versions of radiators for this model year, so maybe they were right on that. This is so $#%$#^^%^ confusing, and a PITA I don't really need right now.

I want a replacement radiator that has the normal toyota drain cock, and is a good quality unit, that genuinely fits my 92 3.0 v6 a/t with a/c 4runner.
Oh yeah,
I live in Pine City, NY 14871
Thanks so much for your help.
You talked to customer service right? What did they say?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:47 AM

Steve,
I want the best radiator I can get for the best price. I HAVE to have something reliable for my job. I have a 34 mile trip from hell to work everyday, going through some REAL lonely places where nobody will be driving by to help if there is a problem. AND no cell service for most of it. Not to mention, the radiator is a REAL important part of keeping this engine going for the next 200k miles.....

Honestly, I've kinda got a bad taste in my mouth from this whole experience and would DEFINATELY like to return this one. Like I said, I NEED one to be "OEM enough" to have the drain cock on the bottom AND a good quality unit that has the proper angles on the upper and lower hose mounts (this "reach" one does not) due to the fact that I only use oe hoses and such (actually only oe everything, tried the rest before-never again) and I will not get some flexi-bendy hose to make this fit.
For the price I was charged for this, I could go get about ANY cheapy aftermarket brand locally for even less.
The part that makes me the most mad is how much I STRESSED over and over that I needed a good quality OE comparable unit, with the aforementioned drain cock etc. I was told that I would be getting just that, and I got the lowest end product on the shelf, for a pretty expensive (for this unit) price.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:51 AM

Steve,

Customer service said that was the radiator that was supposed to match all the criteria that I mentioned above, and that she'd take $15 off....I told her the site said they'd beat the lowest price by 10%, (which was rock auto for 139.93) and she said that was the best she could do-total now at $140 for this reach brand)
I told her this was a low end unit again, and she said that was all she could do for me. No returns. That's when I decided to call out to yotatech for help

Last edited by jasonbrink; 01-11-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-11-2007, 09:54 AM

I completely understand that you are mad. Hell, I am too. There is no excuse for this ˟˟˟˟˟. This is the kind of crap that loses customers.

Did you talk to customer service? I'm sure they would take care of you and get you what you need (CSF or Spectra). I'm not in that department so I'm not exactly sure what all would have to happen for a complete exchange, but you should call back and have them fix it. I don't know about time and all that... I just hope that this doesn't deter you from using/recomending us again. And if you ever need a part, again, ask for me. I'd be more than happy to give it you straight and get you what you need...
Old 01-11-2007, 09:56 AM

Steve,

Customer service said that was the radiator that was supposed to match all the criteria that I mentioned above, and that she'd take $15 off....I told her the site said they'd beat the lowest price by 10%, (which was rock auto for 139.93) and she said that was the best she could do-total now at $140 for this reach brand)
I told her this was a low end unit again, and she said that was all she could do for me. No returns. That's when I decided to call out to yotatech for help
No returns? Hmmm. Do you remember who you talked to?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by the_4runnin'_beast
No returns? Hmmm. Do you remember who you talked to?
I didn't write her name down, I can't remember it now. She was nice at first, but wouldn't do anything about my problem except refund some $$, which still wasn't 10% less than the lowest price I found online or even locally for that matter.
Do the CFS or Spectra have the proper drain cock and proper angles of the top and bottom outlets?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:04 AM

Yeah. The CSF is OE and the Spectra is a very high quality aftermarket.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:58 AM

Steve,
Customer service offered to take another $20 off, making the total paid $120.00.
They said they have neither the CSF or Spectra in stock. I said I just don't want it, I don't trust it, and it's not what I was told I would be getting. They are also trying to make me pay shipping back! Even after explaining what I was told I was getting was NOT even close to the quality of this unit.

update....Okay, after 27 ouch!! minutes on the phone, they are going to pay for shipping it back. I'm not gonna BUT, I gotta tell ya: I'm real disappointed I've had to go through this. A total of 58 minutes (I could've installed it in that time) on the phone in the last 2 days, when It should be sitting under my hood.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:01 PM

I'm glad they were able to help you out. God. Sorry about that man. Can't appologize enough. Are you going to get a Spectra from us or use someone else? It looks like we DO have a Spectra in Philly...

Last edited by the_4runnin'_beast; 01-11-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:51 PM

AWWW! Dude! I just got yelled at over this. Apperantly I shouldn't have told you Reach is a crappy brand (even though you knew that!). Reach is actually one of the best radiators we sell! =D See what I get for helping a fellow YTer out?! Damn!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:33 PM

Steve-
Wow, sorry you got yelled at for this. ˟˟˟˟˟! You had nothing to do with this at all. If someone should get yelled at, it should be the person who sold me this, who LIED about what I'd be getting, or the person (supervisor) who made the poor customer service girl spend 30 minutes of her time (and mine, for a total of 1 hour in two days! at least she was getting paid for her time!) trying to fix 3 separate problems that should have never happened in the first place. I was very specific about what I required when I placed the order, especially after the girl couldn't give me a name brand. That scared me, as I couldn't look up any info online about it first, but she ASSURED me it would meet all the criteria I listed off for her. I trusted her.

But I never never never said anything about you saying this was a crappy brand at all. Nothing like that was said at all. In fact, the only time I mentioned your name was when the girl told me that "reach" was the only brand in carried for this application, after I called and said I wanted to exchange this radiator. And then I said I had talked to a guy named Steve in wholesale who said there were other brands available for this application, such as Spectra (in Philly) or CSF (In Texas) that fit my specific requirements. She said, "I'm looking at the screen right now, and there's nothing except this Reach brand radiator." I said, "That's weird, he JUST told me that there were others available, and I've already told you I'm NOT interested in keeping this radiator. It isn't what I was told I was getting when I ordered, and it's not what I want." She then said, "I don't know why he would say that, there aren't any other brands available at any of our warehouses for your application." I responded: "I don't want this radiator, it is NOT what I was told I was getting. The difference between this "Reach" brand and just about any other brand I've looked at locally, including the Spectra at Advance Auto, is like the difference between a Ferrari and a Kia." On hold for 8 minutes, she came back and said, "I can give you twenty dollars off this unit, if you want to keep it." I told her no, "I DON'T want it." Back on hold for several more minutes. Then she told me I could return it, but I'd have to pay to ship it back, and I said "That's NOT very fair." Back on hold for a few more minutes, and then shipping was covered. Those were the only sentences said in the 27 minutes I was on the phone. I was on hold the rest of the time.
I swear on my life I NEVER said anything about you saying it was a crappy radiator. The radiator said all it needed to about that the second I opened the box!
I'm so sorry you got yelled at for this, you did nothing wrong at all.
Jason

Last edited by jasonbrink; 01-11-2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2007, 05:33 PM

...So, anyway I get looking at this thing closer, and it has a completely different type of drain cock on it than any other yota I've ever seen.
Jason, I hate those drains. The could atleast add a nipple so you can attatch a hose on it to control the drain, otherwise, it goes all over the place. You should go to http://www.performanceradiator.com and they use the exact setup as factory, plus the radiator looks identical to the factory one. I dont work for them, just been dealing with them for years, superior stuff and great price. I just checked yours out, its $184 at your door.

Last edited by toyota_mdt_tech; 01-11-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Steve-
Wow, sorry you got yelled at for this. ˟˟˟˟˟! You had nothing to do with this at all. If someone should get yelled at, it should be the person who sold me this, who LIED about what I'd be getting, or the person (supervisor) who made the poor customer service girl spend 30 minutes of her time (and mine, for a total of 1 hour in two days! at least she was getting paid for her time!) trying to fix 3 separate problems that should have never happened in the first place. I was very specific about what I required when I placed the order, especially after the girl couldn't give me a name brand. That scared me, as I couldn't look up any info online about it first, but she ASSURED me it would meet all the criteria I listed off for her. I trusted her.

But I never never never said anything about you saying this was a crappy brand at all. Nothing like that was said at all. In fact, the only time I mentioned your name was when the girl told me that "reach" was the only brand in carried for this application, after I called and said I wanted to exchange this radiator. And then I said I had talked to a guy named Steve in wholesale who said there were other brands available for this application, such as Spectra (in Philly) or CSF (In Texas) that fit my specific requirements. She said, "I'm looking at the screen right now, and there's nothing except this Reach brand radiator." I said, "That's weird, he JUST told me that there were others available, and I've already told you I'm NOT interested in keeping this radiator. It isn't what I was told I was getting when I ordered, and it's not what I want." She then said, "I don't know why he would say that, there aren't any other brands available at any of our warehouses for your application." I responded: "I don't want this radiator, it is NOT what I was told I was getting. The difference between this "Reach" brand and just about any other brand I've looked at locally, including the Spectra at Advance Auto, is like the difference between a Ferrari and a Kia." On hold for 8 minutes, she came back and said, "I can give you twenty dollars off this unit, if you want to keep it." I told her no, "I DON'T want it." Back on hold for several more minutes. Then she told me I could return it, but I'd have to pay to ship it back, and I said "That's NOT very fair." Back on hold for a few more minutes, and then shipping was covered. Those were the only sentences said in the 27 minutes I was on the phone. I was on hold the rest of the time.
I swear on my life I NEVER said anything about you saying it was a crappy radiator. The radiator said all it needed to about that the second I opened the box!
I'm so sorry you got yelled at for this, you did nothing wrong at all.
Jason
Oh man, dude, don't worry about it. I'm outta their in a couple weeks anyway. Got a different job. Screw them. That is just how they work. If you do something "wrong" you get "talked to".

But anyway, I know for a fact we have 4 (as of this morning) Spectra brand rad's in Philly. No CSF OEs or anything those are in Texas, she's right about that. Maybe that is what she thought you wanted, just OE. Whatever. Sounds like a cluster ˟˟˟˟˟ to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picture of v6 radiator drain cock?