Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pickup Hard Shifting

Old 09-22-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pickup Hard Shifting

94' Pickup 22-RE 5-speed 4x4 extended cab

I've been having a problem for a while now. When I come to a stop, about 50% of the time, i'm blocked out of shifting into any gear. I have to push and shove into a few gears before it will pop into one, then I'm able to shift into first. Shifting while moving is never a problem, its mostly just when I'm stopped, I try and shift into first while coming to a stop to avoid issues. Shifts into everything no problem when the truck is shut off.

Sometimes when I'm stopped and go to shift into first it grinds, the grinding slows down or I shift into second briefly, then it goes in no problem.

I've replaced the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder and adjusted the pedal to make sure it inst a hydraulic problem. It never grinds going into reverse and double clutching helps a little but not much.

Mechanic friend thinks Its due to the viscosity of the gear oil and that it keeps the gears spinning due to the thickness. I have Redline MT-90 in there and its only a few years old so I don't think that's the problem and I'm not sure where I could get a lighter weight gear oil.

Let me know if you have any ideas or have seen something similar. Thanks!

Last edited by Nickdigg; 09-22-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have had problems of a transmission going into gear. It is so common to me, that I will try and go to any other gear and then go to first gear. I am guessing the syncronizers are getting worn. I can hit another gear and back to first so quick with out even thinking about it and is almost second nature to me. It is not a fix but give it a try and see if it helps.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bleed the clutch using a large C clamp to "block" the slave cylinder travel (i.e. the piston pushes the Throw out arm, but then is stopped by the other end of the C Clamp)

When you bleed the clutch in place, some of the fluid fights the "spring" in the clutch - so you don't get a complete bleed
Old 09-22-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have had problems of a transmission going into gear. It is so common to me, that I will try and go to any other gear and then go to first gear. I am guessing the syncronizers are getting worn. I can hit another gear and back to first so quick with out even thinking about it and is almost second nature to me. It is not a fix but give it a try and see if it helps.
Yeah, its been this way for a couple years at least. I've gotten used to it and use some tricks like you said to get around the problem. Sometimes it just doesn't want to go into first though and it can be annoying, like when I'm in reverse and have to shift into first, most of the time as soon as I pull out of reverse it wont go into any gear easily, including back into reverse and I have to jam it into one. I figured I'd see if anyone has ideas on what the issue is since I'm sure i'm beating it up with the jamming and grinding.

I've considered syncros but the fact that it wont go into any gear when I'm blocked out makes me wonder. I suppose they all could be failing though.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ewong
Bleed the clutch using a large C clamp to "block" the slave cylinder travel (i.e. the piston pushes the Throw out arm, but then is stopped by the other end of the C Clamp)

When you bleed the clutch in place, some of the fluid fights the "spring" in the clutch - so you don't get a complete bleed
Hmm.. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:32 PM

Or your pilot bearing is NG.