Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Phantom Engine Power issue

Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phantom Engine Power issue

So I have tried searching the forums but I haven't been able to find a similar problem to this... If I failed in my searches feel free to beat me...

So long story short this is my 2nd runner. It is a 91 3.0 with the A340H tranny on it... When I bought it, it was not functional well ok it was barly functional. Enough for me to limp it to my brother in-law's shop so we could start to work on it.

After fixing the timing, the fuel pump, fuel filter, swapping out the plugs and wires and the ignition coil pack, replacing the exhaust. The car at first failed emissions we looked at it again and noticed someone had screwed up all the emission lines so we fixed that and it passed with flying colors...

The problem I have now is that the car drives with little to no power in the lower driving RPM's. So I did another check on the car and noticed that the moron had also screwed up all the vacuum lines and there were some clogged relays. So I have fixed that and it still drives like it is in over drive in all the gears... The only thing that I can do is hit the ECT button and force it into higher RPMs for me to gain speed to get on the freeway....

The odd thing is I was driving the other day and the power died on the car while driving... It was only a split second but when it came back the tranny shifted into a gear I have yet to hit again because all the power and everything came back. It drove like my old 90 manual used to...

I know the 3.0's are not powerful beasts and I know that auto boxes suck compared to mans. But getting on the freeway with the gas to the floor it takes me about 5 mins to get up to 65, and probably another 2 - 3 mins if i turn of O/D to get up to say 75.... Is there something I have missed? (I'm avoiding taking it back to the brother in-law he gives me a lot of crap when he has to help me.)
Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 PM

Off the top of my head I believe we set it to 10 degree's but I would have to verify it to be certain.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:59 PM

Yea thats what we set it to when we jumpered it and used the timing light.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 PM

Have not, once he told me he had the engined tuned up I left it at that. That is the one part that I don't know that much about. Other than the engine purs like a kitten and revs well not like it used to when it was struggling.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM

That makes a lot of sense, the throttle has felt odd to me in general but I do not normally drive Auto boxes, (should have taken better care of my manual) and I was chalking that up to crappy auto's.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by razed
i asked because the timing should be at 10 with the jumper and more like 20-25 without the jumper. if its 10 with or without the jumper the throttle position sensor may need adjusted.

something else to check is the kick down cable from the throttle body to the transmission if you have one. if its not set right the trans will upshift too soon and will feel like a loss of power and might not downshift properly when you floor it
I don't know where you got those numbers but in the factory service manual, it states that timing with jumper should be 10* BTC and with the jumper removed (leave engine running) the timing should go to 8* BTC. I just timed my 3.0 about a month and ago and sure enough there it was.