Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Performance

Laitly i've been wanting some more spark in my truck. I looked on Lc and they have nice stuff but i dont know what would be best and give me that little edge. Its gata be an engine mod but nothing to big like a new cam.. cuz thats pretty serious... well i think? They have some nice Throttle bodies. i have very little info on all the efi on these trucks. So whats the best bang for my buck maybe willing to spend 300 bucks maybe
Old 01-09-2009, 12:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You won't get much out of a 22re without spending money. toyota peaked and tweaked it as well as they could while still keeping it reliable and driveable. It's based off of an industrial engine design (think forklift) and performs quite well for it's application.
It's not the fastest nor quickest but will get you there... and what more could you ask for an engine in a truck?

The obvious starting point is the same as any vehicle- exhaust. Headers add a few HP (and I literally mean a 'few')... and there's an on-going argument about 4-1 headers vs. 4-2-1 (a.k.a. tri-y). In general, 4-1 headers will move the powerband up in the rpms and 4-2-1 perform in the mid-rpm range. All in all, neither gets you more HP than the other- it's just where in the RPM's the power is felt.
Intake/air filters/etc. is another place to grab a couple HP. So, ask around and consider... K&N gives a bit more air, but also doesn't filter quite as well as even the stock paper filter, so are you willing to give up 10-25% of the life on your engine in exchange for 2-5 horsepower?
Next up is that dreaded "C" word- cam. Probably the single most cost effective modification you can do for more horsepower. 10 HP from a header is going to run you 200 bucks, give or take, but if you can change the cam without hurting the head gasket, 75 bucks for a cam can get you 15 HP. However, a cam and header will work well together adding up to 20+ HP for about 500 dollars....
Oh, now you're seeing it?
about 500 bucks for the first 20 HP and then 100 or so for every 5 HP after that.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 AM

I'm not really a fan of lego building (just putting a bunch of parts together because each of them is a "performance" part) mainly because performance parts only increase horsepower when properly matched with each other.

This really only matters when it comes to internals though and increasing horsepower. Best way to get more power out of your truck is to "free" more power by letting the engine breathe better.

"freeing" horsepower means removing restrictions in the powertrain, specifically in the intake and exhaust. You can do this also by installing lighter moving parts within the engine, but if you're going that far you might as well increase the actual output of the engine because it'll cost the same amount of money.

So get an exhaust system: header's the big one, a high flow cat and straight through exhaust (no baffles or loops, etc.) will also help.

Intake: also good, but won't increase power that much. The only significant thing you can do here without spending an excessive amount of money is to remove the baffles and extra chambers before and after the AFM.

That's my little schpeal for tonight. I'm off to bed.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 AM

Lower gears will put more of your power to the ground, but that's gonna cost you more than $300. There is no cheap way to get power from these trucks. One thing to remember about a cam is it may yeild more hp, but that is at a higher rpm, and you will loose some of your low end torque. So, if you cam it, you should regear the diffs to comp for the low end torque loss Also, a cam is only at it's best if the engine can breathe.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jsn_stockard
Lower gears will put more of your power to the ground, but that's gonna cost you more than $300. There is no cheap way to get power from these trucks. One thing to remember about a cam is it may yeild more hp, but that is at a higher rpm, and you will loose some of your low end torque. So, if you cam it, you should regear the diffs to comp for the low end torque loss Also, a cam is only at it's best if the engine can breathe.
Thats not really true about the cam, if you pick the right cam with the proper rpm range that you will be operating your truck in, like engine builders 261C cam then you can pick up some bottom end power were our trucks need it the most.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And since LC's been brought up, they have an adjustable cam sprocket/gear that can let you dial in the cam and move the power-band higher or lower if necessary. It's spendy as well but for someone looking to squeeze as much performance as possible it is a necessity.