86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

People with tint on there runners

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People with tint on there runners

So my 4runner has factory tint on it. Every window has tint but the front 2 roll downs and the windshield. My last car had tint on it and i really miss it. I also dont really want to spend $300ish getting all my windows tinted, do you think i could do this myself, at least the cargo windows that dont move?

So do you guys who tint the front 2 roll downs just get normal tint throw it on there?

Or do you just throw some tint on top of the factory tint so it semi matches?

Lets see some pics too.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You've tinted all the windows you're legally allowed to, so what exactly do you want to do? I don't really understand why you'd want to tint the windshield or the front door windows.

Not sure what you're asking.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Im gonna tint my front ones just a bit after winter... should look sexy
Old 02-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Here's the rundown on tint:
Front windshield- you'll basically be allowed to tint down from the top, and up from the bottom approximately 5"... the primary reason for this is there are regulations regarding visibility. You may also notice on the top left and right corners of the windshield are small black letters, lines and arrows... basically indicating the lowest portion of the top of the window you are allowed to tint. It's a U.S. D.O.T. regulation stating where tint can be applied. You can tint up from the bottom because in the early days of smog tests, many exemption stickers were applied to the lower portion of the windshield as were many military base permissions, etc. because they are in the area of the windshield that would be between the driver's field of view and the hood of the vehicle thus not obstrucing the view of the road ahead.

To the left and right of the driver, colored glass is permissible as long as it does not interfere with light transmission. Application of film to tint the glass is prohibited.

To the rear of the vehicle:
1) If the driver does not have a side view mirror on the opposite side of the vehicle from the driver's position- the rear window may not be tinted.
2) If the driver does have a side view mirror on the opposite side of the vehicle from the driver's position- the rear window may be tinted, even completely blacked out.
The above are why you cannot tint the window to the sides of the driver.

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-08-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
You've tinted all the windows you're legally allowed to, so what exactly do you want to do? I don't really understand why you'd want to tint the windshield or the front door windows.

Not sure what you're asking.
I can tint the front roll downs to 35 but i had 20 on my last car, cops around here dont really care that much. I can not tint the windshield tho.

Im asking, should i tint my back ones more so they will kinda match my front windows.

And could i do this myself? Has anyone personally tinted there windows.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Here's the rundown on tint:
Front windshield- you'll basically be allowed to tint down from the top, and up from the bottom approximately 5"... the primary reason for this is there are regulations regarding visibility. You may also notice on the top left and right corners of the windshield are small black letters, lines and arrows... basically indicating the lowest portion of the top of the window you are allowed to tint. It's a U.S. D.O.T. regulation stating where tint can be applied. You can tint up from the bottom because in the early days of smog tests, many exemption stickers were applied to the lower portion of the windshield as were many military base permissions, etc. because they are in the area of the windshield that would be between the driver's field of view and the hood of the vehicle thus not obstrucing the view of the road ahead.

To the left and right of the driver, colored glass is permissible as long as it does not interfere with light transmission. Application of film to tint the glass is prohibited.

To the rear of the vehicle:
1) If the driver does not have a side view mirror on the opposite side of the vehicle from the driver's position- the rear window may not be tinted.
2) If the driver does have a side view mirror on the opposite side of the vehicle from the driver's position- the rear window may be tinted, even completely blacked out.
The above are why you cannot tint the window to the sides of the driver.
Thanks Abe but I do know the laws about tint and stuff. I had limo and 20 (factory tint on most cars now) on my last car. I was never bothered by it.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Ive seen members on here who have tinted there windows and I just want to see some pictures of if.

I want to see if black tint would look like garbage on a truck that has the factory "tan" tint.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
And could i do this myself? Has anyone personally tinted there windows.
If you look at my avatar, you'll see that the sides of the shell behind me are tinted 5%, my rear is 5% as well and my door windows are not tinted.
I've been ticketed before.

okay... may the avatar aint' such a great pic....

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-08-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
If you look at my avatar, you'll see that the sides of the shell behind me are tinted 5%, my rear is 20% and my door windows are not tinted.
I've been ticketed before.
Yea thats cali for ya tho.

I had 5% on the back half and 20 on the front 2 roll downs on my last car (98 lumina). Ive been pulled over but the officers have never said anything to me about it.

For oregon is a $242 fixed ticked if a cop decides to get ya for it. I will probably just go with 40% on the front and 5% on the back.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:18 PM

my tint on the 4runner is line a mirror privacy glass..on my surf the rear window was done in japan and it looks so bad so ill have to redo it this summer
Old 02-08-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
my tint on the 4runner is line a mirror privacy glass..on my surf the rear window was done in japan and it looks so bad so ill have to redo it this summer
Are you going to tint it yourself or have someone do it?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:26 PM

the rear window ill do myself..

doesnt seem that hard.. just use lots of soap and water and make sure you get all the bubbles out...i have a heat cut..if i screw it up ill take it in...
now getting the old tint off i think might be an issue ill try heat and goo gone i think?>
Old 02-08-2009, 03:30 PM

I'll admit that a lot of cops will ignore the tint if you get pulled over and have the windows rolled down, letting them see what's inside when they walk up to the vehicle. That doesn't make it legal, just let's them know you aren't a threat and are trying to be compliant and an overall nice guy.
Something I learned a long time ago- don't give the cop any crap or reason to not like you. Kiss their arse for 5-10 minutes and you will be good to go. A lot of them recognize the difference between a good person and an arsehole and appreciate having a situation diffused before it becomes a situation.

Keep in mind I was a teen in the 80's and lots of stuff was coming to a head at the time. I was pulled over for pinstriping on my tail lights. I asked the cop if he could see the lights from 1/4 mile behind me as is required by law since I right turned in front of him and wasn't 1/4 mile away when he saw my truck... he gave me a ticket for striping on my windows instead (the stripes tied the stripes on the door/body to the shell- 78 HiLux, hey, I was 16 at the time )- application of film to the windows.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
the rear window ill do myself..

doesnt seem that hard.. just use lots of soap and water and make sure you get all the bubbles out...i have a heat cut..if i screw it up ill take it in...
now getting the old tint off i think might be an issue ill try heat and goo gone i think?>
Yea theres alot of videos on youtube on how to tint.

A razer blade works well to get tint off. Just keep it flat so you dont scratch the window.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:47 PM

thanks.. you gonna do yours??
i kinda like doing most things myself on my trucks.. except for diesel issues and stuff in which i have a diesel mechanic..

even oil changes and stuff that way i know what was done and that it was done right. even though i only know about the trucks because of yotatech
Old 02-08-2009, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did mine and a couple cars since then. its pretty simple when u get concept but u need patients. go right ahead and do it urself. u'll save a lot of money. if ur really picking about ur tint and quality and wat not then i would recommend spending a little more and have the two back doors and cargo windows on them done professionally. they are the hardest ones to do. if its ur first time doing it i would recommend ordering two full kits becasue u WILL screw up.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let a pro do it! Tinting is a real PITA to make it look perfect. I got my whole truck done, all 16 windows in limo tint for $100 bucks. My friend who works at a benz dealership also does it on the side. If you lived here in Vegas I would hook you up! This goes for any of you guys.

Since you just want the 2 fronts & glare strip done I would think a shop would do it for around $80 bucks or less.

Last edited by turborich; 02-08-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 PM

<----i had mine done, i have 5% on all side windows and sun roof, then 15% on the rear window. i think it looks great. but hey i might be biased since it is my truck.

i can post some other pics later, but the work computer doesnt allow me to view pics on here, or go to photobucket.com.

Last edited by wyorunner; 02-08-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wyorunner
<----i had mine done, i have 5% on all side windows and sun roof, then 15% on the rear window. i think it looks great. but hey i might be biased since it is my truck.

i can post some other pics later, but the work computer doesnt allow me to view pics on here, or go to photobucket.com.
A good tint job makes all the difference in the world!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by turborich
A good tint job makes all the difference in the world!
especially when the tint you buy has a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: People with tint on there runners