Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Peeling film on new 3.0 headgaskets

Old 11-28-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peeling film on new 3.0 headgaskets

Replacing head gaskets on a 90 runner after valve job. I ordered an Evergreen gasket set the head gaskets had this plastic like film on the metal portion of the gasket that was peeling off. So I decided to get a DNJ set that was recommended, this one is the same too. Is this normal? What is it? What the hell? I've done lots of head gaskets and have never seen this before.

Any thoughts?

closeup
overall view
Thanks!

Last edited by Chuki; 11-28-2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added some pics
Old 11-28-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Pictures please.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by millball
Pictures please.
Added to OP. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2016, 01:25 PM

I don't know what to say about that. Flakey for sure.

The only head gaskets I will use are Genuine Toyota, or Ishino Stone brand, both made in Japan.

I'm pretty sure that both the Evergreen and the DNJ are Chinese slave labor goods.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Any good link to these gasket sets? In the past I ordered from Engnbldr, he supplied me with Rock auto brand. I'm talking with them now to find out if there gaskets have this problem. Sounds like Rock auto is now DNJ, and who knows what it is now.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:55 PM

I am interested in what your research uncovers. Looks like I will be starting a 3.0 head gasket job very soon.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OEM
That way you KNOW what you are getting - it may cost more - but it wont leave you stranded
Old 11-28-2016, 03:54 PM

After emailing with Engnbldr, he hasn't seen that but thinks it should be fine.

Still debating on what to do, can't find a good source for an oem headgasket kit.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 PM

Below are a couple links I pull out of old posts earlier tonight. Not clear what is includes in the set.

https://parts.camelbacktoyota.com/pa...20GASKET%20SET

http://parts.olathetoyota.com/oe-toyota/0411135360
Old 11-28-2016, 05:09 PM

Just noticed one of the links in my previous post is for a 4 cyl. The below might me more appropriate.

http://parts.olathetoyota.com/toyota...me=head-gasket
http://parts.olathetoyota.com/toyota...aul-gasket-set
Old 11-28-2016, 07:36 PM

Thank you for the links. The local dealership changed owners here and I can't stand the new place, so I try not to do business there if I don't have to. Currently weighing my options. Thinking about copper coating the gaskets and using. Engnbldr said the gaskets should be fine to use.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:48 PM

Whatever gaskets you use, DO NOT dope them with Coppercoat, or anything else.

Gasket shellac and Coppercoat, and other similar stuff was OK for engines where both the head and block were iron, but aluminum head/iron block composite engines are another ball 'o wax.

Head gaskets on these engines rely on what is basicly controlled slippage and elastic clamping force from the head bolts, to enable long life in the face of very different coefficients of thermal expansion between the head and block.

Both the block deck and the face of the head should be thoroughly degreased with acetone and the new head gasket installed clean and dry.

Doping them will hurt reliability, not help.

As others have said, get the best you can buy, spending a few more bucks beats doing the work over.

Last edited by millball; 11-28-2016 at 07:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TNyota (09-18-2020)
Old 11-28-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by millball
Whatever gaskets you use, DO NOT dope them with Coppercoat, or anything else.

Gasket shellac and Coppercoat, and other similar stuff was OK for engines where both the head and block were iron, but aluminum head/iron block composite engines are another ball 'o wax.

Head gaskets on these engines rely on what is basicly controlled slippage and elastic clamping force from the head bolts, to enable long life in the face of very different coefficients of thermal expansion between the head and block.

Both the block deck and the face of the head should be thoroughly degreased with acetone and the new head gasket installed clean and dry.

Doping them will hurt reliability, not help.

As others have said, get the best you can buy, spending a few more bucks beats doing the work over.
Thanks for that info, did a little reading and seems unnecessary in any modern engine.

Are these oem Japanese gaskets manufacturered with the plate facing the head? Seems most new gaskets, and even Engnbldr says they're made with the plate towards the block.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chuki
Thanks for that info, did a little reading and seems unnecessary in any modern engine.

Are these oem Japanese gaskets manufacturered with the plate facing the head? Seems most new gaskets, and even Engnbldr says they're made with the plate towards the block.
I can't speak to that, the Stone gaskets that I prefer, don't have any slipper plate at all.

They're just graphite on both sides, with a steel core, and fire rings.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 AM

Can't really find a source for these stone gaskets.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Not sure if they make them for the 3.0, but maybe look into a Victor Reinz headgasket if you arent going to get Toyota brand. I just put a Victor Reinz MLS headgasket on my 5vz rebuild and it was very nice.

Last edited by mbomberz1; 11-29-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mbomberz1
Not sure if they make them for the 3.0, but maybe look into a Victor Reinz headgasket if you arent going to get Toyota brand. I just put a Victor Reinz MLS headgasket on my 5vz rebuild and it was very nice.
Thanks for assistance, my block surface wouldn't work with a metal gasket. I've been going back and forth with Engnbldr and his son about these gaskets (DNJ) he say's as long as I clean and prep the surfaces good, these gaskets should be fine. They've sold countless kits and haven't had any issues with the DNJ gaskets.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuki
Replacing head gaskets on a 90 runner after valve job. I ordered an Evergreen gasket set the head gaskets had this plastic like film on the metal portion of the gasket that was peeling off. So I decided to get a DNJ set that was recommended, this one is the same too. Is this normal? What is it? What the hell? I've done lots of head gaskets and have never seen this before.

Any thoughts?

closeup
overall view
Thanks!
it's not a plastic film that's meant to be removed? Something thats just meant to protect the surface during shipping and to be removed before install? Thats really wierd if not. Have never seen anything like that. Unless its supposed to melt and create a better seal? Because its definitely going to melt.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:54 AM

It's very thin, and very brittle. It doesn't really peels off, it's more of a flaking off and like I said it's extremely thin. I don't know if it's plastic or not, could be some kind of material that gets soft as it heats to adhere better. I don't know... Ted at Engnbldr said it would work fine. Gonna try it, it's going on a runner that gets little use anyway. I just need it running to hold me over till I can find a good deal on 2010ish Taco.

Search this Thread