YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Parking Brake Adjustment

I'm trying to adjust my parking brake, and I understand how, but I'm having no luck loosening up the nuts to adjust the tension on the equalizer. I've soaked it in both WD-40 and later PB Blaster, I've even gone at it with an impact driver and nothing seems to loosen up. I'm just wondering if I am missing something? I'd consider replacing the whole adjuster assembly, but can't seem to find it at parts stores (O'Reilly and NAPA mostly)

It's a 1991 Pickup, RWD, 4cylinder, 22-RE, 1/2 ton

I've tried searching for posts on this, but ca't find anything, if anyone has better luck, I'd be happy to hear where to find it.

Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Last edited by jmort05; 02-05-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dealer only part I'm sure you could try a junk yard but may have the same issue your wrestling with now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Red face

By RWD you mean two wheel drive ans not 4 wheel drive.

Time for the torch although it is right in front of the gas tank.

If one part is bad maybe time to invest in both a front and rear cable and related hardware.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Thanks for the replies, I took another look at it, and was able to make some progress, hopefully this helps someone else here:
I removed the brake lines from the equalizer, then pulled the cotter pin and pulled the adjuster arm out (took a bit of pulling, but it finally came out), then used a bench vise to hold the adjusting nut in place, and took a box wrench and a hammer to the lock nut. It took a bit, but it finally spun free.
There was white powdery residue in there, didn't look like the usual corrosion, so I'm wondering if the previous owner used some thread-lock on it?

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement