86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Overheated Engine -Now it won't run

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overheated Engine -Now it won't run

First off, thanks for all the posts I've read. They have REALLY helped me out on more than one occasion. So much so, that this is my first post! You guys seem to know what your talking about, so I post my first question.(With a little background as well)

I drive a 92 4Runner with a 2" Lift, 32" BFG MTs, Air intake mod that is mostly stock and has been driven fairly hard.
While off roading this weekend, I got stuck in a deep mud hole. I sat there for an hour while my buddy fixed his winch so I could get yanked out. I kept the engine running as the tail pipe was under water the whole time (as best I could, it would die and I'd have to keep the revs up).

The problem started on the way home. The truck ran fine untill a few miles down the highway. I had totally forgot to keep checking the temp gage and wondered why I was suddenly losing power. Well, the engine died and I coasted onto a side road and stopped, opened the hood and heard the coolant boiling away. Funny there was no steam or any coolant pouring out of the overflow. So I let it cool down for a while and when I tried starting it up, it would crank and seem to turn over but not start. Ok, call the tow truck... about an hour later while waiting for the damn tow truck (after about 2 hours sitting there) I figure hell, why not give 'er another shot. I was surprised when it started no problem!! But... sounded pretty rough and it died again about the same time as it reached normal running temp. Then it wouldn't even crank. Just a click and that's it.

The next day it seemed to do the same thing (start and run really rough with a knocking sound that increases with engine speed, heat up to normal temp and die, complete with only clicking upon trying to start again).

So, towed it to the shop and parked her and there she sits.
Sorry for the long winded background but I figured it's hard to help when the poster only says "It won't start".

Questions:

1) Am i looking at internal (heat related) damage?

2) What are some likely candidates for damage if this is the case?

It should be noted that I do a lot of repairs to the truck myself but I've never done any major engine rebuilds or what not. I may however be able to find a shop and someone who can help me do something like that.

3)If major engine work is needed, would a new (read different) engine be better or repair the one I've got?

Hopefully, the shop will be able to give me a good idea tomorrow as to what is wrong, but I would like to be prepared for what my options might be.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:32 AM

No backfire or poping? Sounds head gasket-ish, posible loaded cylinder or 2 with coolant

Last edited by jsn_stockard; 09-07-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Nope, no backfiring or such. i forgot to mention that at first, I did have white smoke pouring from the tailpipe. But not after I got it home.

The shop looked at it today but I have yet to talk to the guy. I'll post his diagnosis.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you had white smoke comming from the tail pipe, then your head gasket is probably toast and you cooked the motor, so now its time to rebuild it.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Exclamation

Talked to the guy at the shop. He said that I am definitely looking at yanking the engine out of the truck. He placed it as either a problem with the crankshaft or the bearings. So, I either need to get a new engine or rebuild the one I have.

Anyone know where around the GTA (Ontario, Canada) I might be able to fine a decent 3.0 V6? Availability for 2nd gen 4runners are slim at the wreckers around here. (I've seen most of them in fact)

I just have to explore my options. If I rebuild myself, what parts will I need (besides the obvious) -seals, gaskets, things to do while I'm ripping the motor apart anyways, etc.? A realistic time line for completion in a backyard garage would be good to know as well. I have a mechanic and a Toyota (Dealership) parts guy I can call on, plus the folks at the 4x4 club. Or would it be cheaper by the time all is said and done to have the engine sent off for the rebuild?

I keep you guys posted...