Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Outdoor Car/Truck Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Outdoor Car/Truck Cover?

Hey Yotatech,

Bit of an interesting question, but does anyone here store their Toyota outside for long periods of time without use? I have 3 vehicles and short of about 3-4 trips a year, the 4Runner doesn't see much use. The 1967 Mustang takes up my side of the garage and the Scion TC gets daily driven.

i'd like something breathable, and protective.

Anyone have a decent suggestion?

Let me know,

Thanks,

- MaK

Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '86 sits outside 24/7. It's uncovered but on the side of my house (in the driveway) which doesn't get much sun. I also have a '69 Charger that sits in a spot (again, on the side of my house) in the backyard patio (sort of an RV parking area, dbl gates).

I used to buy the cheap covers from the local auto parts stores (Budge was the common brand name IIRC). They were universal fit and were pretty good while they lasted but life expectancy was only about 1-2 years with constant use. .....at about $50 - $100 a pop depending on the model of cover. The last time I replaced a cover I just used one of the tarps I had on hand.

If you're looking for a good cover that will last longer, provide better protection and fit correctly, you're going to have to spend a bit. Something like California Car Cover Co. What makes the difference is not only the workmanship/fit that goes into making these covers but also the material(s) they use. CCC uses Kimberly Clark fabrics. I did a lot of research on car covers a few years back and Kimberly Clark was one of the best products around. I would also consider the warranties they offer into you decision.

I park my Challenger and my wife's Forester in the garage so I have no choice for the other two cars. The T4R is doing ok exposed to the elements but it does require me to keep up on the exterior maintenance to ensure the plastics and paint don't fade.

EDIT: Here are some links:
https://www.calcarcover.com/n_carcovermaterials/All

Covercraft is another well established company that uses the same fabrics as well as other big names:
http://www.covercraft.com/us/en/vehicle-covers

Kimberly Clark website explaining their Block-It fabrics (Noah, Evolution, Dustop)
http://www.kcprofessional.com/produc...rmance-fabrics

Hope this helps

Last edited by Kean; 08-16-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added some links to help
Old 08-17-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a top of the line California cover on one of my antique cars that sat out side in the northern Virginia weather. It came with a 4 year warranty. About 2 years after purchase it began to get brittle and break down. I called them and they replaced it for shipping cost only. About 2 years after that the second had the same problems. Again, they replaced it with no questions. I sold the car after that.

It did protect the finish and interior from the elements. Even though it was a bit of a hassle I still feel like I got my money's worth from the product(s).