Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ouch! Propeller shaft destruction...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch! Propeller shaft destruction...

'95 4Runner, SR5 4WD MT.

I was driving to the grocery and back and got a 'thump' followed by a lot of vibration, pulled over and tried to look underneath (with only a crappy penlight in the dark) but couldn't see much, so I decided since I was only 2mi from home I'd try to make it back... didn't make it, the U-joint on the propeller shaft (front, by the transfer case) ripped itself apart - vibration must've been one side cutting loose.

So now I have my truck towed into my driveway with a propeller shaft looking like a pretzel (they had trouble even getting it onto the flatbed since it kept trying to turn into the flatbed as it rolled - rear-diff rotating it). Propeller shaft took out the exhaust at the obviously weak/rusted bolts at the flange just behind the front O2 sensor, but the exhaust - while rusty - seems fine other than needing some new hangars (and a new O2 sensor in back that ripped from it's flange). Propeller flying around also dented the gas tank shield way in the back, but nothing leaking.

So, 1995 with a lot of NE rust, not sure it's worth fixing but... I could replace the propeller shaft. But it doesn't start... so, questions:

The back O2 sensor is hanging there, kinda ripped up from pulling out of the flange, but my assumption is that wouldn't cause it not to start though...??

The transfer case is leaking oil/fluid, it appears to be coming from the front where the front bearing/seal is for the front-wheel transfer shaft connection... the (serious) vibration it had before it crapped leads me to believe the propeller shaft failed first (I was in 2WD at the time), but what damage that could have done to the transfer assy is unknown to me. And, being in gear at the time (trying to make it that last 2mi home) could it have damaged the transmission as well? Engine? (starter cranks it, fuel gauge is at 3/4 and I checked the line/filter w/ no apparent damage from the shaft whipping around, but not sure with the dent in the back of the tank shield it might not be getting gas?).

Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 06-21-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
You never heard or felt anything right up to your major failure??

It is quite possible when the O2 sensor was pulled off it took the fuel pump wires as well .Caused fuses to open

Why the Roll back driver did not pull the driveshaft is beyond me it would have been the first thing I did

Is this something your going to pay to have fixed or can you do the work your self???

That is what decides if your fixing your vehicle .

Did the joint fail or did something else lock up in the drive line .

Just where are you maybe help is close at hand.

Decide to not fix this is minor damage to me even if the transmission and transfer case need some tender loving care.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
You never heard or felt anything right up to your major failure??

It is quite possible when the O2 sensor was pulled off it took the fuel pump wires as well .Caused fuses to open

Why the Roll back driver did not pull the driveshaft is beyond me it would have been the first thing I did

Is this something your going to pay to have fixed or can you do the work your self???

That is what decides if your fixing your vehicle .

Did the joint fail or did something else lock up in the drive line .

Just where are you maybe help is close at hand.

Decide to not fix this is minor damage to me even if the transmission and transfer case need some tender loving care.
Well, yeah, a couple mins before it failed I had 'clunk' and the whole car started vibrating - thus I pulled over and tried to look underneath, knew it wasn't 'a good sign', but at 9:30pm in the dark with a little penlight... my guess is one side of the U-joint/spider of the shaft let go. My own stupidity was trying to make it the 2-2.5mi home. Luckily I was only going maybe 25 (for obvious reasons) in a 45 zone trying to make it back, so while the front of the shaft hitting the road spiked it a bit and the back end skidded a bit as the tires stopped it wasn't that bad. Would've been ugly on the highway.

So, my guess is the shaft caused it, not anything else locking up. Just worried how much other damage it did (transfer case/transmission/engine(?)) while ripping apart at the joint.

Not sure pulling the shaft in the dark on the side of a 2ln road with traffic would have been all that easy for him. The shaft is bent in 1/2 hanging from the rear diff, with the exhaust hanging there as well (although a couple bolts and I can somewhat get that re-attached and out of the way - the tailpipe hangar is 'functional', the only thing holding it up, the one in front of the muffler is shot but nbd to fix that).

Obviously not worth paying to get fixed, labor alone would cost more than it's worth if it needs a transmission - I can replace the shaft and transfer case, I'm just worried how much more could have happened... not gonna go trying to rebuild the engine - that's why I was trying to start it, if the engine runs ok (in neutral) then I'd feel safer about sinking some money in parts into it. Checked for the obvious fuel/brake-line damage, etc, overall I was surprised how little it did whipping around back there.

Good point on the fuse, doesn't look like it took out any other wiring (in fact didn't even rip the sensor wires, it's whole, just pulled out of the flange attached to the sensor so it's just a round tube still wired up on it's connector hanging there) but something to check. (I have a new one for it, the front one popped out of the flange the same just from rust and exhaust pressure last fall, just never got around to replacing the back one).

Shopping for a little sedan anyways, just thinking if I can fix the 4runner I'll keep it for runs to Home Despot/SLowes and whatnot. Not that it owes me anything after 20yrs, but if I can sink $500 or so and some 'elbow grease' into it and get a few more years out of it I'd do it. $thousands and it just doesn't make any sense.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
The only way you will know is either pull things out or install another drive shaft see what happens

In my younger days I lost a few driveshafts never hurt anything else but one gas tank.

Stupid Rookie Cop and his flares !!