Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

options for modifying those exhaust flanges?

Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
options for modifying those exhaust flanges?

well im going to be taking my motor out soon to replace the rear main seal cause it leaks oil like crazy my truck also has some bad exhaust leaks out of those ugly flanges with the donut gasket. ive found myself replacing the gaskets down on the front/rear of the cat a few times now and i got sick of replacing so i ended up cutting off the flanges and using an id/od connector pipe, welding it to one pipe and using an exhaust clamp for the other side, and i couldnt be happier with that. now i'm still using the stock manifolds cause headers so pricey as hell, and the factory pipe going down from the crossover pipe. now i want to try and eliminate those flanges though the rest of the exhaust system as well. has anyone else done this? how did you go about doing it? maybe they sell some part somewhere to do it, or am i going to be stuck with the id/od connectors all the way. anything is appreciated thanks fellas.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by animalslayer
well im going to be taking my motor out soon to replace the rear main seal cause it leaks oil like crazy my truck also has some bad exhaust leaks out of those ugly flanges with the donut gasket. ive found myself replacing the gaskets down on the front/rear of the cat a few times now and i got sick of replacing so i ended up cutting off the flanges and using an id/od connector pipe, welding it to one pipe and using an exhaust clamp for the other side, and i couldnt be happier with that. now i'm still using the stock manifolds cause headers so pricey as hell, and the factory pipe going down from the crossover pipe. now i want to try and eliminate those flanges though the rest of the exhaust system as well. has anyone else done this? how did you go about doing it? maybe they sell some part somewhere to do it, or am i going to be stuck with the id/od connectors all the way. anything is appreciated thanks fellas.
weld it all the way? if you ever need to remove it, just cut it off and reweld it. chances are that if you need to drop your exhaust, its not gonna come off pretty anyways
Old 08-15-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weld the flanges where the manifolds connect to the crossover pipe and that to the downpipe? that seems impractical.. i guess im just going to be stuck with the donut gaskets? or my other options of getting headers..is there a company that sells some that's not incredibly expensive?