Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is an Optima Yellow Top my best bet for a new battery these days?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is an Optima Yellow Top my best bet for a new battery these days?

So I have a 1994 Toyota Extended Cab Pickup 3.0 V6 that I need to pick up a new battery for.

I did some research and poking around on these threads and it seems a little touch and go, but I am gathering that Optimas, for the most part, (yellow top), are a solid battery. I have heard that sometimes there are some fit issues, but I can't imagine that that hasn't been addressed over the years.

Anyone want to offer their own experiences with Optimas or other solid battery choices?

Thanks in advance!

-Road Bull

Last edited by Road Bull; 11-13-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have been running Interstate Batteries for a while before that all I ran was East Penn Manufacturing (Deka) seconds .

Interstate distributor is only a few miles away.

For some reason I just can`t see spending all that much money for a Optima then no one close stocks them and when I need a battery it is because i blew another one up.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never ran the yellow top but I've been using a Red Top in my daily driver for close to 15 years.

I purchased my first one for 89.99 because I was sick of standard liquid filled batteries leaking and rusting the inner fender (some even rust the hood) and screwing up the battery cables. It didn't matter what I sprayed on there the cables eventually got nasty and the battery would start to leak. I went through several supposedly "Sealed" types (AC Delco, Interstate and more) to try and stop it. I eventually got to the point where I saw a standard battery as something unreliable, disgusting, constantly assaulting my ride and hurting the vehicles value.

I took a voltmeter with me when I purchased my first one and it measured 12.78v the day I purchased it. I used that same battery for 11 years until a crack head (yes he did smoke crack) named Alton stole it out of my truck. I had done some rewiring a couple days before it was stolen and that battery still cranked a 10.2:1 350 Chev over like it was new and had a resting voltage of 12.78, my cables still looked new too.

After that experience nothing but the same would do, problem is the price for the same exact battery was now 150.00 AND they cheapened up the manufacturing process. As a result many of them didn't have the same reliability= Not lasting as long and I've also read of cracked cases. My second one definitely isn't as good as the first and will loose it's state of charge much much faster.

Now the price for the same exact battery is very close to 200.00 with the same quality issues. I believe what at one time made it great wasn't simply the name Optima, it was the AGM design. One things for sure, I won't be going back to a battery that isn't of the Absorbent Gas Mat (AGM) construction.

A little info about AGM Construction
http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us.../agm-batteries

Last edited by Odin; 11-16-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Odin
I've never ran the yellow top but I've been using a Red Top in my daily driver for close to 15 years.

I purchased my first one for 89.99 because I was sick of standard liquid filled batteries leaking and rusting the inner fender (some even rust the hood) and screwing up the battery cables. It didn't matter what I sprayed on there the cables eventually got nasty and the battery would start to leak. I went through several supposedly "Sealed" types (AC Delco, Interstate and more) to try and stop it. I eventually got to the point where I saw a standard battery as something unreliable, disgusting, constantly assaulting my ride and hurting the vehicles value.

I took a voltmeter with me when I purchased my first one and it measured 12.78v the day I purchased it. I used that same battery for 11 years until a crack head (yes he did smoke crack) named Alton �� stole it out of my truck. I had done some rewiring a couple days before it was stolen and that battery still cranked a 10.2:1 350 Chev over like it was new and had a resting voltage of 12.78, my cables still looked new too.

After that experience nothing but the same would do, problem is the price for the same exact battery was now 150.00 �� AND they cheapened up the manufacturing process. As a result many of them didn't have the same reliability= Not lasting as long and I've also read of cracked cases. My second one definitely isn't as good as the first and will loose it's state of charge much much faster.

Now the price for the same exact battery is very close to 200.00 �� with the same quality issues. I believe what makes it great isn't because it's an Optima, it's because of the Absorbent Gas Matt design. One things for sure, I won't be going back to a battery that isn't of the AGM construction.
Ditto.

My first Optima yellow top was incredible. Best battery I have ever owned. The yellow top I have now, while still decent, costs more and doesn't hold a candle to the first.

I hear good things about the Odyessy brand batteries. AGM as well. When I need a battery next, I will seriously consider these.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/
Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM

I use an optima and love it. The battery comes with a plastic cover that needs to be taken off and snapped onto the bottom of the battery to act as a spacer to fit into the stock battery tray.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by odonekanobe
I hear good things about the Odyessy brand batteries. AGM as well. When I need a battery next, I will seriously consider these.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/
That is exactly where my research is pointing me too as well.

Ironic that once Optima cheapened their battery design they started heavily advertising and blowing smoke. I think Optima may have learned that their batteries were lasting too long so they shortened their life span in an attempt to sell more. "Planned Obsolescence" isn't a joke and unfortunately it seems to be the American way now.

Last edited by Odin; 11-14-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:41 AM

I've had good luck with the Odyssey batteries.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:57 PM

Sears Die Hard Platinum is an Odyssey clone for less money. I've been running this for the last 8 years. At 4 years one of the plates failed. Sear replaced it full warranty. So far no problems.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:03 PM

I have to say that optima sucks. Had two yellow tops in 6 monthes and then tried two red top batteries they also were terrible. I dont have exsesive battery draw no winch. Not to many lights. I ended up going with stinger audio battery which has been the best its been drained to 0v and recharged back to 12.8v and has been great since.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:26 PM

Yeah, it seems for every person that has had a positive experience with Optima, there are a fair amount that have had a less than positive experience.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:54 PM

This is fairly detailed and if you read all of the information it *MAY* explain a few failures when people do extended driving with them. I don't do a lot of extended freeway miles that's for sure.

I also know a few people who have baked the things to death with older manual chargers, they don't like that.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._glass_mat_agm
Old 11-16-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Bull
Yeah, it seems for every person that has had a positive experience with Optima, there are a fair amount that have had a less than positive experience.
I used to be an Optima fan. I got 10 years out of a red top in my old Bronco and had a similar experience with one a few years later in a Mazda car. Two and a half years ago I purchased a new red top for my 4Runner. Six months ago I began having problems with it discharged and only recharging up to about 80%. I decided to ditch it before it left me stranded somewhere. Very disappointing that I didn't even get three years out of it before having to make such a decision.

I've talked to quite a few guys around town at speed shops and a battery only shop. They all had the same feedback -- Optima seems to have cut some costs in recent years and reliability seems to have taken a hit. All places I talked to reported an increase in recent years in warranty claims and shorter lifespans.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 AM

For the most part a quality battery is a quality battery. The hard part is finding out which ones are good! Unless you are lighting up a football stadium or winching out 18-wheelers you probably don't need something as overkill as you are suggesting.

I am on the quality train as well....and generally it comes down to MADE IN U.S.A. East Penn Manufacturing (Deka) is still made in USA. Napa's "Legend" battery is made for them in the USA by East Penn. Exide's "Extreme" is made in the USA as well. I'm sure there are a few others.

I'd just try to find the cheapest Made in USA battery and be done with it.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by AdmiralYoda
For the most part a quality battery is a quality battery. The hard part is finding out which ones are good! Unless you are lighting up a football stadium or winching out 18-wheelers you probably don't need something as overkill as you are suggesting.

I am on the quality train as well....and generally it comes down to MADE IN U.S.A. East Penn Manufacturing (Deka) is still made in USA. Napa's "Legend" battery is made for them in the USA by East Penn. Exide's "Extreme" is made in the USA as well. I'm sure there are a few others.

I'd just try to find the cheapest Made in USA battery and be done with it.
Thanks for the info. I am leaning more that way after talking to a few mechanics as well.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have gone through or installed just about every type of battery for customers that there is. Having said that over the years I have found exide, motorcraft, acdelco, and interstate in order from good to great, are about the best batteries you can buy you wont go wrong with any of them just make sure you buy one that is new. I have tried optima and odyssey in my trucks and I will agree optimas used to be a very good battery and I have had hit and miss problems with the odyssey. Unless you are doing extreme rock srawling etc. you dont need one. I run interstate in everything I own now.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by AdmiralYoda
I am on the quality train as well....and generally it comes down to MADE IN U.S.A.
OOORAH to made in the U.S.A.!!
No to Death By China!

IIRC, AAA uses Interstate batteries, too.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:04 AM

I am all for U.S. goods, but I have also heard a lot of bad things about Interstate batteries. Mostly from mechanics. It seems something like ACDelco seems to be a safe bet, but it seems harder to find around here.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Road Bull
I am all for U.S. goods, but I have also heard a lot of bad things about Interstate batteries. Mostly from mechanics. It seems something like ACDelco seems to be a safe bet, but it seems harder to find around here.
interstate is all i've installed for years and i can't remember the last one we had to warranty out (not that it doesn't happen). i have to chuckle every time i see an optima in a car. thats just money that could have been better spent elsewhere.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by oldblue
interstate is all i've installed for years and i can't remember the last one we had to warranty out (not that it doesn't happen). i have to chuckle every time i see an optima in a car. thats just money that could have been better spent elsewhere.
So, what size battery are you guys using. I see a couple of options available. The Interstate Megatron plus, or whatever seems to come in size 24.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:22 AM

Go with batteries made by East Penn. Deka is probably one of the best brands to go with and they are made by East Penn.

Last edited by 85TurboRunner; 11-27-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Is an Optima Yellow Top my best bet for a new battery these days?