86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinions on cross-country traveling with camper

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on cross-country traveling with camper

I have an '88 Toyota pickup, 22re, 5spd, 4wd that I use as my daily driver. I live in Georgia and plan on making a cross country trek out to New Mexico, Southern California, Colorado and then back to Georgia over the course of a 3 month time period. I've been throwing around the idea of trying to either pull a very small pop-up camper or haul a light weight cab-over camper in the bed for the trip. I wanted to get some honest opinions on how feasible this may be.

The glovebox sticker in the truck has it rated to tow 2200 lbs max which seems a bit overzealous. I'm fairly certain I could get a cheap pop-up camper that would be well under that limit. I don't see any problems towing across the flatter portions of the country, but I feel like some of the mountains may be too much for the truck to handle. I just finished replacing everything on the front and rear brakes so I feel like they should be up to snuff, but I don't know if my 200k 22re will be able to take it.

As for the cab-over camper, I've seen a couple of older styles for sale on Craigslist for fairly cheap. Money is an issue so I can't afford to invest in one of the newer, nicer, and lighter pop-ups that are on the market. I worry about the payload capacity of the truck. I was told that it was around 1600 lbs which also seems a bit over the top, especially considering that my stock suspension has 200k miles on it. Helper springs could come in handy, but then again I'm left wondering if the ole 22re would be able to make a cross country trip with a good size load.

So what are your opinions? Am I asking too much out of this light-weight pickup? Has anybody tried a trip like this with a camper? Any other options?

Thanks,
justin
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If you're going to be using it every day I would go with the cab over camper. You don't have to set it up and take it down everyday, plus you don't have to worry about parking with a trailer. The helper springs would definitely benefit the added weight. You might also look up the zuk mod on here. That's another way to get more out of your springs for pretty cheap.

Keep in mind that they did have Toyota RV's with the 22r so I don't think power is going to be your issue. You just won't get anywhere fast.

Me being paranoid I would make sure your engine is in good shape before taking it on a trip like that, i.e. good compression, no cel codes, carb tuned, check plugs and wires, etc.

Just my $.02
Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Look at the Flip Pac camper shells. They're normal shells with a flip-over expanding roof top tent. I'd take a guess that you'd save lots of $ in gas with this style setup vs towing a trailer or the wind resistance of a traditional cab over or roof top tent. As for weight in truck, get helper springs, ZUK coil spring mod, or airbags to help the load. Before anything happens make sure your truck is running in tip top shape for a journey that far.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know when you are planning your trip. But in the winter months the Wind Can Be very Strong especially in New Mexico. I would think a little pop up would be better than a Cab over Camper. Expect a lot of 3rd gear hill pulls to the floor.

Just as little background I drive a Peterbilt with a 475 Cat and a 13 speed Trans and pulling a empty tanker it is not uncommon to hardly run 55-60 mph into the wind under full power in Western New Mexico.In comparison I can run uphill in California with no wind and a Loaded Tank which is good for an extra 49,000 lbs at 45-50 mph.

Long story short be prepared for some wind so I would think that cabover wouldn't be that great because you don't want to have a High Profile.

Last edited by SoCal; 09-07-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are still numerous Toyota powered RVs on the road with the 22REs. Many owners have upgraded the rear axles to the full floating type.