Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Opinion... wiring, tranny Bubbafied 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion... wiring, tranny Bubbafied 4runner

Feeling a little low today. I was stoked to have finally taken the rig aroudn the block for a drive but I am just feeling bummed about all the little frickin bubba modifications i am finding.

I knew the rig had a manual tranny swapped in palce of the auto. I see the ECU under the radio. With crimp connectors hanging out. The rig does run, but i got to thinking and looked at the passenger kick panel to see if there was an ECU there.. yup. the auto ecu is still sitting pretty, so they totally hacked into the harness to get the thing to work. I havnt pulled into the wiring and being a bit down i just do not want to right now. But what is the opinion... should i jsut go ahead and find a new engine harness, or entire wire harness to make it correct, or try to move the manual tranny ecu over to the correct location. I could just drive it and leave it but i am a bit retentive about wiring and stuff and want to start a plan of attack.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When the manual transmission was swapped in, there isn`t any hacking of the wiring harness required, infact the old computer for the automatic thats under the radio gets unplugged and removed. The computer behind the passenger side kick panel is the engine computer and you don`t have to change anything with it. Once the automatic transmission was removed all that was needed to make the truck run was to jump the neutral saftey switch wires at the plug just above the starter. We did an auto to manual swap on my 86 4Runner and just jumped the neutral saftey switch wires to make it run.

Last edited by myyota; 02-27-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Oh so there is supposed to be a ecu under the radio? I didnt know that. I saw the crimp connectors and assumed it was a differnt ecu swapped in. So that is a bit more reassuring. I need to pull the dash and see what is going on, since the speedo doesnt work, horn doesnt work, heater blower, AC. Alot of stuff does work but jsut enoguh doesnt that is annoying. Fortuantely i have a SR5 gauge assembly so i could put that in to get rid of the little lights and such for the auto tranny.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DanStew
Oh so there is supposed to be a ecu under the radio? I didnt know that. I saw the crimp connectors and assumed it was a differnt ecu swapped in. So that is a bit more reassuring. I need to pull the dash and see what is going on, since the speedo doesnt work, horn doesnt work, heater blower, AC. Alot of stuff does work but jsut enoguh doesnt that is annoying. Fortuantely i have a SR5 gauge assembly so i could put that in to get rid of the little lights and such for the auto tranny.
Yes, the ECU under the radio was for the automatic transmission, so now the you have a manual transmission you can remove it, because its not needed now. I know how you feel, when i got my 86 4Runner it was a basket case also, but i just started going through it and fixing things the right way (like it should have been done the first time), so just take your time and you will get everything fixed.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Well I am feeling better today. I pulled apart the dash and thall those wires crimped together turned out to be a hack job radio install. The wires for the ECT was fine. So i pulled the computer and ziptied the wires up. I am wuite happy to find the harness isnt as bad as I thought. The blower resistor is burned up so that would be the problem with the HVAC controls, kind of thought that would be the problem. Now to go into the engine bay and try to find out what is leaking all to hell. After driving it yesterday i have an engine bay covered in oil. Not sure if it is engine or power steering.