86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinion on these shocks for a 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinion on these shocks for a 4Runner

Been looking around at all shocks, I drive on the road 98% of the time, some slight beach driving, but I don't even consider that off roading, so I don't need anything too hardcore, like a Billstein or OME or probably even Rancho.

I have been looking at Monroe's and Gabriel's, are these decent shocks for normal daily driver type of stuff for a Runner?

Found these Gabriel's at JC Whitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/GABRIEL-ULT...6839_10101.jcw

And found some deals on Monroe's here:

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=11...725+11921+9242

Just wondering what Monroe's people have used or Gabriel's, looking for some general opinions.

What is the deal with the Monroe Matic Plus? Are they crap? I looked under the truck and it looks like the previous owner put some Monroe Reflexes on, but they are like $45 a piece, so I might as well get Rancho's for that price.

Figured I'd look at the cheapo Monroe's and Gabriel's first.

Thanks for any input. I have been looking through older posts with the Search feature, but didn't find the specific info I was looking for.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dad ran the same gabriel's on a 2wd 1992 chevy 1500 and those things really helped the ride a good bit compared to stockers...can't say about on a 4runner, but i'm sure for mostly on road work they'd be a good choice
Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 AM

I would go with Gabriel, I have procomps on mine, they are a bit stiff, I myself do more driving on the road, Gabriels should be more soft than procomps.....
Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 AM

Cool, thanks for the responses. I think I may go with the Gabriel's. A Chevy 1500 is a pretty big truck even if it is 2WD, so they should be OK in the back of a 4Runner.

Not sure if JC Whitney has the Rear shocks, I only see the front on the site. I may check an Auto Zone or something.

Anybody ever use the Monroe Matic Plus? They are pretty cheap on that site, but I don't want to buy crap.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Banned

Gabrial=CRAP Their on my truck right now and it rides like a freakin brick.. Stiff, bouncy, and unpredictable, its annyoing... I will be getting some monroe sensa-tracs, or pro comps soon.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Really Trusyrusty?? What are they too stiff or they bottom out? How are the on the road?

I am putting the Air Lift 1000 kit in my coils this weekend, so I'm not looking for a reall hardcore shock to put back there, I figure the Air Lift will let me stiffen it up as I need it, I just want a decent shock to go all around for daily driving, then I'll stiffen up the rear when I put my boat on it, with the Air Lift.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Although not on a 4 runner I put the Monroe Sensa-Tracs on my 86 pickup. It has a camper shell on it and some gear in the back so it may be closer to the actual 4 runner weight. I got them from Napa (rather expensive) since they were the OEM replacements listed. It made a world of dfference and since I don't plan on going any higher with the truck then these will be on there for years. Heck the ones I took off were the originals from 86....... they were a little messed up to say the least.

Front.
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...a-Trac+-+Front

Rear.
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...sa-Trac+-+Rear

I have to tell you that I didn't pay that much for them. I think it was 40$ or so for each of them.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned

Monroe are better then gabrial by far (heck even the 15$ NAPA brand shocks are better, those napa brand shocks are actually really good if your on a budget..) gabrials are stiff and jolty, not soft ride at all, when I go fourwheelin I cant tell the difference between droppin off a foot and a half ledge, or driving in town and hitting a pothole, its still stiff as hell and rides like crap. Sad part is the shocks are about wore out now so its softening up... Gabrial Ultra Gaurd SUCKS.

Last edited by Trustyrusty; 10-30-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:47 AM

monroe makes pro comp and rancho
i just put bilstiens on mine today! i read and read and read everything i could find on shocks on this and other forums kyb teniko ( spelling?) ome and bilstein ( in that order of stiffness) althought kyb mono max and monroe monos are both good
i decided on bilsteins because they are HD and i dont plan on ever changing them again. in the first 20 miles they seem really smooth. you can tell they are firmer however i didnt see that as a problem
pro comps are prone to blowing seals
rancho good over all but if your gonna spend for ranchos i figured i might as well go all in !
thats mainly what did it for me if im gonna spend 40 50 60 bucks a shock i figured id by the best ( althought ome is great autozone got the bilstiens in a day and i paid 47 a shock )
my .02
Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 AM

Wow $47 each for Bilsteins, that's not bad, but I still think Bilsteins are overkill for what I need.

I've seen those Sensa Tracs around, but they are up ther in $, I'd buy a Bilstein or Rancho if I was gonna spend $50 a shock, I just don't hink I need them to be that tough for driving on road mostly.

Anybody know about those Monroe Matic Plus that are on that link I have up there, they are cheap, but I don't want something that is too crappy.

I didn't know Napa had their own brand of shock, maybe I will stop by there later and check their brand out, for $15 it's worth a shot, plus if they are supposed to be OK, then what the hell.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

Well they have NAPA stamped on them, BUT obviously NAPA doesn't make them.. Prolly made by Monroe I'd guess, Hell I use NAPA oil in my trucks and its made by Valvoline, look on the back and it says produced by ashland corp...
Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Yeah I figured NAPA didn't make them, same way Wix makes their oil filter.

But hey if they are decent and relatively cheap, I will check them out.

So anybody know anything about the Monroe Matic Plus?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:01 AM

Did some looking around, and it looks like the Napa brand shocks are made by Monroe and are most likely the Monroe Matic Plus shocks.

Anybody know anything about these shocks or used them? Just trying not to put crap on my truck.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
hey, im getting a set of KYB Gas-adjust shocks soon, so if anyone wants, ill have a set of sensatracs (used with about 40K on them) for sale... they still ride great, but too soft for my taste...
Old 10-31-2008, 02:42 PM

Alright well then anybody ever use the Napa brand then, any experience with them?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:01 PM

OK, well I guess I still don't know what to think about these Napa or Monroes Matic Plus shocks.

I have no idea what to put on this truck. I guess I'll but some regular old Monroe's and see what happens, maybe the Gabriel's, but somebody said they suck.

Who knows.