Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Which replacement leaf springs would you buy for 1st Gen 4Runner
Downey 2"/3"
17.50%
OME 18/181
41.25%
Alcan
31.25%
Other (specify)
10.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

OME vs Downey vs Alcan rear leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OME vs Downey vs Alcan rear leaf springs

Anyone want to chime in on their experiences with Downey, OME, or Alcan rear leaf springs? Did a search and only found this thread with no conclusions/results. I'm really just looking at bolt-on spring kits, but would consider Alcan. Not sure I would get the utility from the additional cost.

So, do the Downeys do OK, or are they too stiff for a 1st Gen 4R? Do they sag after a while like the stock springs? (or worse?)

Are the OME's worth the additional money? Do they retain their spring rate longer than the Downeys?

How much more are the Alcans? Are they more durable? More consistent springs rate through the travel length?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Also, please specify 2" vs 3" and OME 181/CS010R vs 18/CS009R.

Last edited by 86Original; 07-18-2006 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Correct OME model #s
Old 07-18-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hah!! Thats my thread. Maybe the first time I've ever come up as a search result... On to your question. I ended up going with Downey, based solely on price. I got the 3" springs which settled in to 2" in short order but have remained there since. I might point out that I have a 135# rear bumper that went into my decision when choosing the 3". I can't beef with them by any means. Pics and initial impressions are right here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-rear-leafs-installed-48400/

Quite a few guys around here run Alcan and are very happy with them. Don't know about the $$$ on them though as I never really looked into them at the time.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:11 PM

I just ordered some Alcans for my taco. I know that doesnt really apply to 1st gen 4runners but I liked their service and they seemed friendly enough. the reason I went with them over OME is the stories of how every OME spring sags differently to give a little uneven rideheight.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:43 AM

I currently run the Downeys and have been very happy with them. Mine haven't sagged only because we modified them a bit prior to installation to compensate for the heavier drive train. I seem to remember adding a 2nd main leaf. I helped a friend build it and then bought it from him later so don't remember for sure. If I was bulding it over I would definitely go with the Alcans. I've heard that you can still get them with the Orbit Eyes. My buddy runs those in the front of his 85 pu and I really like them. For the rear I'd probably go with longer springs for the added flex.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Alcans have not appeared to sag with years of use. If you want springs that will last a long time, want great customer service, and can afford custom made springs, you can't go wrong with Alcan springs. http://www.alcanspring.com/
Old 07-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

I thought I remembered seeing a posting where someone referred to OME's sagging, but they seem to take a number of steps to ensure that they don't sag (flat perch, shot peening, etc.) Haven't been able to find that again.

Also, what changed when they went from OME 18/181 to CS009/CS010?

Should a 1st gen 4Runner have the HD springs (Downey or OME) because of the fiberglass top?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

On a related note, TRDParts4u.com lists their lift kit as using the OME 18 or OME 181, but the ARB Australia web site has an application list for North Am that lists CS009 & CS010, respectively, instead.

Strap, do you guys need to update your web site?

What is the difference between the 18/181 & the CS0xx springs?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the downey 3" springs in conjunction with thier prerunner add aleaf as the overload. It provided 2" of lift with no bumper. Great springs, good flex. But I wanted softer and more flex, so I went with long Deaver springs.It's not a stock fit, so no comparisson.

Deaver's tripple pack is a nice supplement to yoru existing pack, it will give you a lift as well as a softer, more compliant ride. I have been happy with the Deavers and recommend thier products. I've witnessed some Alcans and they are great too.

But if money is a concern, you can't beat the downey's they're really great.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by 86Original
On a related note, TRDParts4u.com lists their lift kit as using the OME 18 or OME 181, but the ARB Australia web site has an application list for North Am that lists CS009 & CS010, respectively, instead.

Strap, do you guys need to update your web site?

What is the difference between the 18/181 & the CS0xx springs?
Well first of all the post does needs updated. Have been upadating as fast as we get the information and new prices. The EMU by Dakar is the only spring available now. Good thing too. It is a lot beefier and all around better spring. Larger bushings, all military wrap, better finish. As far as sagging, all springs will in time. How much depends on how they are used. I just got a pair of the new Tacoma Dakar springs in and compared them to the old ones and it was like apples and oranges. Can't say anything bad about Downey either. They make a good product and for their application they work well. I would say the EMU by Dakar is a great choice.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:23 PM

Personally I'm going to go with 63" Chevy's on my 86 project, seems pretty popular in my area, and with good reason:

Pirate thread
Another one
Another Pirate thread
Old 08-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Bill,
Good info! Don't want to cut the frame and don't want something that soft. Want to be able to carry cargo as well. This isn't a dedicated crawler. It's been my DD for 20 years and counting. Riding like a Cadillac is NOT a good thing in my book. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by 86Original; 08-29-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:28 PM

Just a thought. But remember, the springs are coming out of 1/2 ton trucks, so it's not like they can't handle some weight.

But true, the requirment to weld onto the frame makes it a bit tougher to do.

Good luck with whatever you go with.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:29 PM

I've been working on the issues with my chevy spring swap but overall I think in the long run it's well worth it. I'll just say that I'm swaping my Downey 2" out and would never buy Downey springs again. With min. trail time and no loads in the back of my truck (not even the spare tire!) I got maybe 2yrs out of the Downey's before they began to sag......not just alittle but enough that they sat lower than stock. That's just not acceptable.

After reading hours and hours about the chevys I chose to take that route. I can pick up a set of used chevys for less than $50 and the mounts cost me just shy of $70. So for just the hardware, say $120. That means I can destroy a set of chevys ($50+$70=$120) and replace them ($120+$50=$170) less than one set of Downey springs. BUT I strongly doubt that will ever happen. Also even without the chevy load leafs, which I plan to run, I can load my truck with more than I ever could with stock/Downey springs. Last and most improtantly the ride is INCREDIBLY SMOOTH!! and they flex like MAD and you get a solid 3" of lift. But right now I have axle alignment issue due to some overlooked measurements which I need to fix this weekend. Which is due to the fact that someone else must do the welding of the mounts.

Last edited by Bear80; 08-30-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:40 PM

Oh hey Bill I got my info from the same place you are but there are some things left out. Like 11" is not enough, it should be 11-1/2" to 12" forward and the shackle angle is much better when you put the rear mount 4-1/2" back with atleast a 6" shackle (I'm going to use a 6-1/2") The pinion angle isn't great but no vibs, otherwise I guess you'll need shims. And you'll get 3" with the load leaf in, about 1/2" less without it, I don't know how guys got 4"-5" just not happening.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Notice how NWOR doesn't even factor in on this thread? If you want springs that won't sag, buy NWOR springs. But they don't flex either. Or compress. Or stay quiet. NWOR seems to think every Toyota owner hauls around at least 1000 lbs. every single day. That's how much it took to just level out my truck with its "replacement" springs.

I even took them apart and took out a leaf to fix the nose down stance and still, they barely flex. Only positive part is I now have zero axle hop. NWOR springs double as ladder bars.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:02 PM

i think im getting either trail gear or deaver, just because of the free shipping and great service trail gear has, plus my 4runner is gonna be an expo vehicle,(jeep recovery)
Old 10-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone else want to weigh in? Deavers are out for me, since it requires cutting off and relocating the hangers. I believe the same is true for Trail Gear springs.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the downy's. they are okay, but do sag a fair bit. I was pretty dissapointed about that.

I'm voting for the alcans because i have seen them work really well.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can get Deaver's to fit stick hangers/shackles

Ihad a set (that I broke carrying DJ stuff - some 1000+lbs worth).

I now have AORs (aka Alcans) that was a lenghtend and custome pack. Its probably too stiff but I doubt I'll break em

Quick Reply: OME vs Downey vs Alcan rear leaf springs