86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OME lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OME lift questions

Today I was helping a friend put on a 2.5" lift kit by OME. We only finished the rear and had a few setbacks with the kit and with trying to get everything apart. The bushing kit OME sent us only had one metal sleeve in it, whereas the original springs had sleeves in both the front and rear eyelets. I'm wondering why would they send the kit without two sleeves? I'm using their springs to build my 83, and the bushing kit I ordered for mine also had one sleeve per kit. Luckily I used the sleeves from my kit to put in his springs, so all of that worked out.

Another issue we had was with the center pins from the OME springs vs. stock. The stock springs and perches outside/inside diameter is 5/8. The center pin on the OME springs is about 1/2. Would it be a problem with the increased slack between the center pin and axle perches? Or am I just overthinking it? It seems like the U-bolts would keep everything in place, but you never know. Has anyone else experienced this things with the OME lift kit?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 AM

the bushing kit you ordered - does it have recesses for grease? as in, for use with a greasable shackle/pin kit?

I had Skyjacker before, and they had sleeves, but I didn't use sleeves when I installed the OME stuff on my '87 (can't remember if it had them?), however, I used a greasable shackle kit, too.

I remember noticing something about the smaller pins as well, and can't remember what I did about it. I think I just installed and made sure that both sides were pushed or pulled to max forward or rear in the perches, so they'd be even. the slop can, technically, affect rear end alignment slightly if you skew them to opposites, eg., one forward, one back. you would be slightly rear steering.

Last edited by yodta; 11-24-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
IIRC when I installed my OME kit, there was only one bushing sleeve like you've described, and I was confused as well. I also recall reading somewhere in some OME instructions that the sleeve is for the front mount and the bushing kit is meant to reuse the shackle-side's sleeve (which is why there's only one supplied). I think I pressed mine out with a c-clamp and a socket and reinstalled the same way.

In regards to the pins/holes for aligning the leaf on the perch - I didn't notice. I haven't had any issues, the ubolts are what holds it all together. You probably don't want them too tight in the hole anyways.

Last edited by highonpottery; 11-24-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:41 AM

Thanks for your response. We just finished up the lift yesterday. The parts I thought would be difficult we're actually easy, and vice versa. The worst part was getting the old steering stabilizer out. The truck rides well. Now we just need to remove the body lift.

I believe you're right about the center pins. We didn't notice anything strange, and a bunch of other people I talked to said not to worry about it. It's strange OME would expect you to use a new bushing sleeve in the front of the spring, but not the back. I'll have to call them up and see if I can't get a few since I'm down one for my truck now.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:46 AM

Also, the bushings/sleeves didn't have any provisions for a greaseable bolt. We used antisieze on all the bolts and bushings. The lift kit also came with anti-inversion shackle plates, but we couldn't use those either because the stock shackle plate is bent, whereas the anti-inversion plate is straight. I don't think he'll have his truck in any type of situation where that plate would be useful, anyway. He only uses the truck for hunting/camping trips.