Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

OME coils and brake lines

Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OME coils and brake lines

Getting ready to install the 901 coils on a 1990!
I'm taking all sorts of height measurements for the masses to review afterwards on what I gained from my old saggy ones.

I want to make sure my lines are long enough to accommodate the lift, my lines look healthy and looks like they have enough room to make it work. looks like the only line that might not be long enough is the one that connects the hard lines above the diff up to the frame. Has anyone installed the OME's and NOT replaced this line?
Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do, and ORW sells stainless by the foot and it's pretty cheap.

If you replaced it, how long did you go?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got nearly 3" of lift from the 901's on my '91 (measured from sagging old springs to new, non-broken in springs) and my rear brake line was nowhere near long enough. I know I replaced it and the front two with an off-the-shelf stainless steel 3 pack; I think it was of the Pro-Comp variety for a 4-6" lift, and probably #7210 (it was close to 5-6 years ago now).

Thinking back, I think at ride height my OEM lines would work but any axle droop and it would act as a limiting strap and most likely break. I do remember reading that there were different length lines being used and that I happened to have the short one but I don't know its length.

There should be a few cheap options for you, see the quote below, but I think anything in the 16" - 20" range should be ok with those springs. The 20.5" (based on web search of the 7210 Pro-Comp kit) I have now is REALLY long, but doesn't interfere with anything.

From the FAQs https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-first-214051/
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Extending Brake lines:
Toyota Fittings are 10mm x 1.00 thread with an inverted flare.

ProComp #7210 are Longer than stock Stainless Steel brake lines. (set of three)

One piece 23" long replacement brake line for the front is Napa #38688
This turns out to be a front line from a 90-96 Nissan 300ZX if you wanna get one from somewhere else.

The flexible rear brake line (goes from the hardline to the rear axle) is commonly used for extending the front and rear brakes lines since it has one male end and one female end. So when these lines are swapped inline with the stock lines, and you will have plenty of room for extra lift and flexy suspensions. The Napa #38256 is the stock length (19" long) rear flexible brake hose. Napa #36881 is 11" long if you need one a bit shorter.

Or you can buy a second stock brakeline and and use the 2 together for the extra length, Napa # 38796.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the FAQs info. Thats really helpful.

Yeah, I don't see what it would hurt to have them a little too long. Doesn't seem like they would snag on anything. I've been taking measurements and it shouldn't be to expensive to build them from ORW, I'm going to post my results of the process here. As of now, without the 901s settling it is WAY to short to use the stock line.

I just got the springs on, was relatively easy, other than breaking my thumb. Dripped a little on the way to the sink...

The only hold up now that I've got is the panhard bar. I've read on here that 'its not necessary but highly recommended'.. is that actually true? Until I buy one can I drive the car?
I can't believe how much they cost.. seems a little ridiculous.
As of tomorrow morning i'm going to pull the "put the wheels on and put heavy dudes in the back to lower the bar enough to connect it"
Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Sorry to hear about your thumb, I hope it isn't too bad.

I installed the Downey panhard drop bracket when the springs were out, so I don't really have any advice for you there. But without the drop bracket, the panhard bar will pull the axle laterally towards the passenger side, and you may notice a difference driving it. I would imagine that with it being a relatively small lift (in comparison to a 4" lift coil) drivability shouldn't be affected too much.

Short answer: yes you can drive without a panhard drop bracket; no, I wouldn't drive without the panhard bar itself attached (though I don't really know suspension design too well).
Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 PM

How big is the downey bracket? I've found all different sizes, for the 901s I think its supposed to be a 4 inch? The only place I was able to find that sells them is 4crawler.
I have been searching old threads but all the links to vendors seem to be dead or they no longer sell the drop brackets.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Also SacRunner what rear shocks did you use? If technically the 901s are only supposed to be 1.5 inches over stock height (with 300lbs in the rear) I feel like my stock kybs should be okay. Also found a few other threads with people not replacing their shocks right away and seem to have no immediate adverse affects on the ride. Mine are new <6months would like to keep them if possible or probable.
I've heard of small lifts working okay with shock shims? I can't seem to find a place that sells these..
Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 AM

I remember reading somewhere that they were closer to 2.25" of lift vs 1.5" (over factory height). I installed them a couple weeks before I did the ball joint spacers and the springs definitely felt taller than 1.5"; the whole truck had a very noticeable forward lean (rake).

As for shocks, I went with whatever OME shock was included with the TRDParts4U package, I think they were the N72F.

I'm sure your stock length KYBs should be fine driving around town, but you may find them to be a limiting factor offroad as the suspension droops down.