Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

OME or Bilstein shocks?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OME or Bilstein shocks?

I am planning on getting the OME leaf springs and can't decide if I should get the OME shocks or the Bilstein F4-B46-1139-H1 (not the 5100's) shocks. The bils say it is for stock height but the ome springs say they have a 2" lift, will that work? If anyone has any experience with the ome springs and one of these shocks I'd like to hear their thoughts. It is mainly a dd and beach driver. I don't really want something too stiff. Thanks!

87 4runner
Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the OME 2" springs and the OME shocks in my rig, build info in my sig.

They do not ride rough at all, a much improved ride over the sagged out stock springs. There is another guy on here who says his OME springs/shocks ride super stiff and that he cannot figure out why. It would be interesting to know if he ever figured out if his rear suspension was bound up in some way, or not.

Even with the OME shocks, I had to be very careful when tightening the u-bolts to make sure that I positioned the lower stock mount point where the shock would not limit travel. Point being, the OME's, which are specified for their springs, are almost too short for the 2" springs. When you tighten the u-bolts, if you tighten too much on one side you can cause the lower plate to rotate around the axle tube and move the shock mount lower. Or, you can tighten more on the side of the shock mount and raise it up. I had to do this to make sure that at full droop the shock was not bottomed out.

I have no idea how the Bilsteins would fit with the 2" springs.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^uh...with a stock lower shock mount, the mount can't physically be placed higher or lower because it's on a piece of plate that will be mounted parallel to the leafs via the u-bolts. i guess you could get it to be a little off, but then the mounting hardware for the ubolts would not be sitting on a flush surface and something bad could result.

to go further into this, I have the 2" OME leafs as well as the OME shocks to match. I HAVE found that with the stock shock mounts, the shock is the limiting factor when it comes to axle drop as it is not long enough like OutlawMike stated. with that said, I have plans for adding a u-bolt flip kit which will allow me to relocate my shock mounts from below the axle to about 3/4 the way up - should help gain about 1.5" more down travel as well as free up 1.5" of "rock magnets" under the axle (ubolt threads, bolts, and shock plate). up travel shouldn't really be an issue as long as there are still bump stops.

to answer your question, i'd get the OME shocks to match the OME leafs, they're made for one another.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
^uh...with a stock lower shock mount, the mount can't physically be placed higher or lower because it's on a piece of plate that will be mounted parallel to the leafs via the u-bolts. i guess you could get it to be a little off, but then the mounting hardware for the ubolts would not be sitting on a flush surface and something bad could result.

to go further into this, I have the 2" OME leafs as well as the OME shocks to match. I HAVE found that with the stock shock mounts, the shock is the limiting factor when it comes to axle drop as it is not long enough like OutlawMike stated. with that said, I have plans for adding a u-bolt flip kit which will allow me to relocate my shock mounts from below the axle to about 3/4 the way up - should help gain about 1.5" more down travel as well as free up 1.5" of "rock magnets" under the axle (ubolt threads, bolts, and shock plate). up travel shouldn't really be an issue as long as there are still bump stops.

to answer your question, i'd get the OME shocks to match the OME leafs, they're made for one another.
Oh, you can adjust it over 1/2" either way by tightening the u bolts one way or the other. It references the axle tube on the radius, it can rotate around it a lot further than you would think. I was scratching my head the first time I installed it, then consulted a friend. Loosen the nuts on the opposite side form the shock mount and tighten the others, it rotates around fairly easily. I had to pull mine around about 1/4" from where you would think it should have been to keep the shock from being the limiting factor at full droop.

I wish their shocks were about 1" longer. Hell, maybe they make one, but I did not ask.

Mike
Old 04-22-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OME shocks are a little short given that their sold with springs that give a couple inches lift, BUT that tiny bit of flex is not worth the rough ride you'll get by using another brand of shocks. I the words of caution about using another brand of shock with OME springs was all marketing, but I found ProComps to ride like hell with OME springs. OME Nitrocharger shocks worked MUCH better.

Buy a locker, forget about the extra 1" of travel and enjoy the better ride. You'll notice a bad ride, but I promise you won't notice 1" of travel.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 PM

I broke one of mine a month after installing it. Put the shock in tension and it destroyed the seals at the top of the shock body. So, don't let your shocks limit your travel, they break, and then you are out another $80. I wonder if they make a longer one with the same valving, I will have to look into that when I get some time.

I have heard the same thing about the OME springs/shocks. They are matched set, and going to other brands causes issues.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input! It sounds like it would be best to keep all the ome components together... but I am still interested to hear from anyone that has the bilstein shocks and maybe what springs they are using with them. Or if anyone has any experience with springs and shocks for around the same $$ and value.