Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

old style iacv

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
old style iacv

has anyone ever rebuilt/refurbished the older style idle air control valves? I have two failed ones, and you cant get a new one from what ive found. its a discontinued part. aside from sourcing out another used unit, or swapping my throttle body out to accept the new style, is there anything I can do to salvage my old one? anyone ever tried a rebuild? or have any tech specs on the internals?
Old 02-23-2016, 02:59 AM

By failed do you mean the heater has failed?
Old 02-23-2016, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
By failed do you mean the heater has failed?
I suppose so. The little paddle the opens and closes the black plate.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by yotajakes
I suppose so. The little paddle the opens and closes the black plate.
That is a bimetal kind of like what thermostats use. Is it broken?

There is an electrical connection on the aux air valve. Ohm that out with your multimeter. If it reads open link then it has failed.

I imagine if you can take it apart you could match some resistance wire to it and make a new coil bit I'm not sure you can. I use kanthal wire for my ecigs. Same principle really

Although you could do the upper intake swap from the newer 22re for pretty cheap. That is the way i would go if the valve is truly bad

Last edited by 92ehatch; 02-23-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:26 AM

That is a bimetal kind of like what thermostats use. Is it broken?

There is an electrical connection on the aux air valve. Ohm that out with your multimeter. If it reads open link then it has failed.

I imagine if you can take it apart you could match some resistance wire to it and make a new coil bit I'm not sure you can. I use kanthal wire for my ecigs. Same principle really

Although you could do the upper intake swap from the newer 22re for pretty cheap. That is the way i would go if the valve is truly bad
I have two bad valves. Both are partially open all the time. Never change positions, hot or cold.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive gotten one from advance auto with good luck, but ive heard its a crap shoot to get a good one.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:45 PM

Take a hair dryer and get it nice and hot. It should move towards closed. Then put in the freezer and it should open up wide. The bimetal itself really won't go bad. The internal heater can however.

It's a Simple test with a cheap multimeter for the heater portion. They are also adjustable
Old 02-23-2016, 01:50 PM

Take a hair dryer and get it nice and hot. It should move towards closed. Then put in the freezer and it should open up wide. The bimetal itself really won't go bad. The internal heater can however.

It's a Simple test with a cheap multimeter for the heater portion. They are also adjustable
The old style is adjustable? I'll have to tinker with it and see. Both the ones I have stay in one position. Hot or cold. Both in different positions. The slides and spring are clean, so whatever controls the paddle is what's not functioning properly or sticking. Have to figure out how to take that apart, maybe clean it.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:16 PM

The old style is adjustable? I'll have to tinker with it and see. Both the ones I have stay in one position. Hot or cold. Both in different positions. The slides and spring are clean, so whatever controls the paddle is what's not functioning properly or sticking. Have to figure out how to take that apart, maybe clean it.
Yes it is adjustable. Basically at room temp you only want it to be slightly open like a crescent moon.

There is a nut with yellow marking on it. Loosen that nut then pry it one direction or the other. It will move the mechanism slightly. Once set then hammer down with a hair dryer and after a few minutes it should close. If you put it in the freezer it will open.

However all this will be in vane if the electrical heater is bad. The only way to test this is with a meter.

I just cleaned and adjusted mine last week. I should have taken pictures and made a tech post.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:20 PM

Old 02-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Yes it is adjustable. Basically at room temp you only want it to be slightly open like a crescent moon.

There is a nut with yellow marking on it. Loosen that nut then pry it one direction or the other. It will move the mechanism slightly. Once set then hammer down with a hair dryer and after a few minutes it should close. If you put it in the freezer it will open.

However all this will be in vane if the electrical heater is bad. The only way to test this is with a meter.

I just cleaned and adjusted mine last week. I should have taken pictures and made a tech post.
Ok good to know. Another odd deal with mine, I don't have an electrical connector to plug into mine. No cut wires, like it was never there.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:57 PM

Ok good to know. Another odd deal with mine, I don't have an electrical connector to plug into mine. No cut wires, like it was never there.
What year is your truck. Possibly a older style motor put into a newer truck? The newer 22re had a coolant only based iacv mounted to the throttle body and no electrical connections. Can you take a picture?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:01 PM

What year is your truck. Possibly a older style motor put into a newer truck? The newer 22re had a coolant only based iacv mounted to the throttle body and no electrical connections. Can you take a picture?
It's an 89 truck. But has an 88 motor/injectors /harness. I'll take a pic and post it shortly.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:04 PM

It's an 89 truck. But has an 88 motor/injectors /harness. I'll take a pic and post it shortly.
Sometime in 89 is when they changed it. Without that heater the one you have won't work properly.

Is your throttle body angled down or straight?

Last edited by 92ehatch; 02-23-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:13 PM

Sometime in 89 is when they changed it. Without that heater the one you have won't work properly.

Is your throttle body angled down or straight?

Both are like this. Hot or cold. The one on the truck is closed more. Just a sliver open when hot or cold.

Angled down throttle body
Old 02-23-2016, 03:32 PM

You said there is no plug on the harness for that idle valve. It needs that to keep it hot and operate properly.

What is wrong with your truck anyway. What are your symptoms

Your options are.

Source the upper intake manifold from a newer style 22re with straight tb that has the thermowax iacv and swap it.

Or bypass that one completely. Doing so will eliminate the high idle cold starts however this would only be recommended in warmer climates.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-PICKUP-4RUNNER-22RE-UPPER-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-PLENUM-W-THROTTLE-BODY-/281917749078?nav=SEARCH

Last edited by 92ehatch; 02-23-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:38 PM

You said there is no plug on the harness for that idle valve. It needs that to keep it hot and operate properly.

Your options are.

Source the upper intake manifold from a newer style 22re with straight tb that has the thermowax iacv and swap it.

Or bypass that one completely. Doing so will eliminate the high idle cold starts however this would only be recommended in warmer climates.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-PICKUP-...078?nav=SEARCH

Ya that's what I was thinking was gonna have to happen. I did however adjust the one I have off to almost full open when cold and hit it with the heat gun just now. It closed almost fully. Had to be pretty hot though. So I'm going to adjust it slightly more closed, and try running it. Thanks for all the tips and help. I'll see of I can't find one somewhere and look for the throttle body as well. Or maybe rig up a manual "choke" valve of some kind to replace it and work it manually during early morning cold starts.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:47 PM

It does take alot of heat to move them and they are slow.

You could wire up a 12v supply to that valve and just have it come on when the ignition is turned on.

Btw that picture of that throttle body is mine and i have no use for it. If you decide to swap to later style and need a tb for it pm me

Last edited by 92ehatch; 02-23-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:55 PM

It does take alot of heat to move them and they are slow.

You could wire up a 12v supply to that valve and just have it come on when the ignition is turned on.

Btw that picture of that throttle body is mine and i have no use for it. If you decide to swap to later style and need a tb for it pm me
I appreciate the offer. If the pic below doesn't work out I'll take you up on the offer. Where are you located?

Might try something like this for a manual idle air control valve. 20 bucks from O'Reilly.