Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Old Mod, Different set up

Old 08-02-2009, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Mod, Different set up

Well iv decided now that my 4runner is no longer daily driver status i can start doing some things iv wanted to do for a while. The first thing on my list is to do the good ol' battery/Airbox location swap. Iv look at alot of differnt threads and setups and decided im going to take a different approach to it. Sence I live in the Pacific NW, i felt that runing just a cone filter off the AFM was not an option for three reasons.
1. after my recent rebuild i was shocked at the ammount of oily sludge left in my intake from the K&N (most was due to the PO over oiling the filter).
2. having a open element filter in the engine bay didnt seem logical to me, if part of the reason of the swap is to get cooler air to the intake by not runing it across the radiator then how would sucking hot air from the engine bay be much better?
3. seems to easy for watter or debris to enter the intake through a open element cone filter.

With that inmind i got to looking at the stock airbox and thought that instead of over thinking this.. what if i just flat out swap the entire airbox to the other side. Not sure how long its going to take me to finish this because im torn between several different projects ( completely rewiring my fathers 1966 bronco, building a bead breaker set up for doing atv wheels and tires, and hey.. its summer, and summer to me means hit the dunes as much as possible lol) ... heres some pics, of the progress so far.

these are just test fit pics, so far so good, hood shuts without hitting the AFM , the red handled screwdriver is there just to act as a spacer, so i can still get to the latches for to remove the airbox lid. If your trying to figure out the first picture, its showing the Drilling out of the spot welds that hold the mounting tabs on the lower part of the airbox. removal of the tabs has to be done to get the box low enough to clear the hood and retain the windshield washer fluid tank.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Looks good!!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Ok so stock on those things it pulls from under ouside the fender yes..? Are you going to carry that over as well..?

Looks good so far though

Old 08-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

The factory box actually pulls air from the grill by the headlight.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:35 PM

as mentioned it pulls from the driver side of the core support. i just pulled the A/C system out of it yesterday (might rig the compressor up for oba eventually) so im going to use a hole saw and cut a hole for the intake on the passenger side of the core support, im going to try and use a bit bigger ducting to get better air flow to the intake.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:45 PM

well no pics but there is some progress. i have been real busy the past few weeks and had to put the project on the back burner. i was able to pull apart the harness a bit to see how im going to route the wireing. after i got that figured out i ordered up some wire and weatherpack connectors to make a "plug and play" harness incase i ever want to switch the air box back over for some reason. I also ordered a 2 3/4in ID silicone 90deg bend hose with 6in legs that will connect the throttle body to the AFM. After searching various hardware stores for some pvc and rubber couplers i couldnt find anything i felt would work so i just orderd that one piece silicone piece from verocious motorsports.

hopefully some time this next week i can actually get some pics of the progress..... oo yea and i also started the v-6 brake upgrade, iv got the v-6 master cyl and booster installed. now i just need the calipers.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome. This is on my to do list as well. Just got done with the V6 brake upgrade too. The calipers made a HUGE difference.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna
well no pics but there is some progress. i have been real busy the past few weeks and had to put the project on the back burner. i was able to pull apart the harness a bit to see how im going to route the wireing. after i got that figured out i ordered up some wire and weatherpack connectors to make a "plug and play" harness incase i ever want to switch the air box back over for some reason. I also ordered a 2 3/4in ID silicone 90deg bend hose with 6in legs that will connect the throttle body to the AFM. After searching various hardware stores for some pvc and rubber couplers i couldnt find anything i felt would work so i just orderd that one piece silicone piece from verocious motorsports.

hopefully some time this next week i can actually get some pics of the progress..... oo yea and i also started the v-6 brake upgrade, iv got the v-6 master cyl and booster installed. now i just need the calipers.
Why not go all the way and SNORKEL it your more than half way there? I am thinking of doing just that after I fine tune this new motor and want to go to the passenger side with it so I will be interested if you do since your cutting the hole all you really need to do now is run the hose and cut the fender for it to exit up the windshield post add the next piece of pipe/hose and put a head on it.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:02 PM

Why not go all the way and SNORKEL it your more than half way there? I am thinking of doing just that after I fine tune this new motor and want to go to the passenger side with it so I will be interested if you do since your cutting the hole all you really need to do now is run the hose and cut the fender for it to exit up the windshield post add the next piece of pipe/hose and put a head on it.
i have thought about the idea of a snorkel.. but thats about as far as its got, im not into "deep" watter crossings or mud boggin so i really dont have a use for one and its just one more thing to get snagged by a branch or cliped by somehting else on the trail. hopefully i can start on building my battery tray this week before my parts show up so i might be able to finish this thing up soon.

Awesome. This is on my to do list as well. Just got done with the V6 brake upgrade too. The calipers made a HUGE difference.
thanks man. im hoping that it helps slow this beast down, iv already got one caliper thats leaking so im sure once i get my hands on some v-6 calipers it will be all good.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:11 PM

well i made some progress on the battery tray today. i wanted something that held the optima a bit snugger then any tray i could find at a parts store. i think ballistic fab makes a really trick billet aluminum optima tray/ hold down but i wasnt sure if it was going to work for my application, nore did i want to "make" it fit my application so i decided to save the coin and build my own. here are a few pics of the progress so far, hope to get more done on it this week after work. when im done with it im planing on spaying with the Dupli-Color truck bed coating in a spray can, iv used it a few times and it seems to work good and once it cures its pretty tough stuff.

and yes ill say this ahead of time... Trust me, i know its overkill for a battery tray lol but hey, i had the metal layin around and got bored lol

some angle iron for the main cradle

some 1/4 flat stock in the 3 1/2" flavor for the sides

all tacked up

test fit

fits good, its got rougly 1/16" of space all the way around.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Now that's beefy!!! Your truck is gonna lean a little now! LOL!!

Can't wait to see how the rest goes! Good project!!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Dude that battery tray is gonna be bomb proof. lol. I can't wait to see this conversion completed. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:00 PM

well I was hopeing to get this thing done this weekend but it didnt happen.. 2things got in the way, a funeral in eastern washington (4 hour drive from me) that took friday and saterday out of the mix.. then the ups truck only delivered 1 of the 3 packages of parts i need.

BUT i did finish the tray up and got it mounted, and got the AFM harness done... heres the pics of the progress

stock afm harness cut and stripped of loom and tape

weatherpack cavity seals and terminals crimped on

a close up

iv found that when using large weatherpack or metripack connectors i like to lable what wires are in each location on the connector, that way theres no facepalm action when things dont work right when you fire it up.

close up of a finished connector

short side of the harness done

cut a piece of 1 1/2 flat stock for the hold down

i used just some 3/8nc 6" long bolts to secure it

welded a nut, with a piece of 1/4 roundstock to support

ready for spray

another angle

and another

after the spray

a differnt view

installed

i think it should work. hopefully the coating will last with the heat of the engine.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Great job on the connector!!!! I'm finally thinking that I'm ready to start this project, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to extend the wires or pull them back thru the bundle...