YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Oil Pump- To replace or not? 89' 3.0, 200k miles

Do these things fail often? I've never heard of anyone having any issues, but I'm in the middle of a head gasket job and debating on replacing. $88 bucks from engnbldr, less on ebay.

Anybody?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
1986 V6 Tacoma 4x4 226,000 (Sold, still miss it)
1984 22r Tacoma 4x4 250,000 plus miles (Sold, still miss it)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Currently on Jack Stands
Personal Sales Rating: (3)
Staff

replace is now, get it from Ted @ engnbldr

Mini FAQ/Ideas

PNW wheeler group: Gitout.Com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I shouldn't be a cheapskate, $88 bucks from Ted and I'm buying gaskets and bolts from him anyway.

You know anything about the timing kits on ebay? Water pump, idler, tensioner, T belt for $86 bucks?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluidvl View Post
Do these things fail often? I've never heard of anyone having any issues, but I'm in the middle of a head gasket job and debating on replacing. $88 bucks from engnbldr, less on ebay.

Anybody?
Mine checked out o.k. when I did my rebuild @ 224,000 miles. It was still within std. clearance specs all around, so I just put it back on. I didn't even bother checking the water pump. It's still not leaking anything out the weep hole, so untill it does, why bother? BTW, I am the ULTIMATE cheapskate. I don't replace nothin' I can still use, most of the time that is. Sometimes "shiny new" gets the best of me, but not often.

Here's the FSM pages on oil pump inspection.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...118oilpump.pdf
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-04-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I've bought my last old Toyota, I'm going to be buried in this one, so I might as well replace it all.

Opinion on ebay parts? Am I rolling the dice?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I didn't change mine 9 years ago when I did my gaskets at 218k. Now at 286k and I still have a ton of oil pressure. The OEM is a killer pump - at 200k miles it will probably still be WAY better than a (IMO crummy) Rock pump. If you're going to replace, use an OEM, but I wouldn't bother.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluidvl View Post
Opinion on ebay parts? Am I rolling the dice?
Shoot! My truck's full of ebay parts. Beware of the upside down head gaskets(see my thread on that) and EXEDY clutch discs(see my thread on that too). Those are the only 2 parts I've bought off ebay that I regretted. I do try and buy name brand stuff on ebay atleast, when my budget permits. But as was the case with the upside down head gasket fiasco, I needed the cheapest head gasket(upper engine gasket) set/kit I could find. All of which worked out fine except those.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I think I'd rather have the old Toyota oil pump in there if it was still functioning properly than a cheap aftermarket one. Unless you really want to replace it, then go for it. I have had quite a few of these trucks, both 3VZE and 22RE's and never had an oil pump fail on me. just my 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Red face

Interesting i belong to the replace it while I am in there group.

I replaced several oil pumps on 22re engines with the engine builder ones over the last ten years .

As far as Ebay things I did get burned once on a harmonic balancer they forgot to do one of the machine operations and it pulled against the oil pump housing.

Which lead me to think the engine seized doing all the things one would do at that point till I pulled the balancer off and could spin the engine almost by hand.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudHippy View Post
Shoot! My truck's full of ebay parts. Beware of the upside down head gaskets(see my thread on that) and EXEDY clutch discs(see my thread on that too). Those are the only 2 parts I've bought off ebay that I regretted. I do try and buy name brand stuff on ebay atleast, when my budget permits. But as was the case with the upside down head gasket fiasco, I needed the cheapest head gasket(upper engine gasket) set/kit I could find. All of which worked out fine except those.
Speaking of upside down gaskets, it seems that the prvious owner of my 4runner may have fallen victim to this vile scheme as well. Theres a thick greyish graphite looking film on the block, also the gaskets are labeled "R' and "L". The driverside gasket had the "L" stamp. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most parts side designations oriented as if you were standing in front of the vehicle look at the motor? Whatever the case, I'm ordering my gasket set and bolts from engnbldr and the timing kit from Ebay. A water pump, idler, tensioner and belt for $150 seems pretty reasonable.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1989, 2002, 30, 4runner, change, gasket, head, housing, miles, oil, pump, replace, replacing, toyota, tundra