Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oil Pressure gauge works only after disconnecting battery

Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pressure gauge works only after disconnecting battery

Hello

I have an interesting issue with my 4runner after swapping in a gauge cluster with a tachometer and the oil pressure gauge. I've also swapped in a 'smart' oil pressure sending unit as well.

My issue is that my oil pressure gauge will only work after i disconnect the battery and I assume the computer resets. The pressure reads at the high acceptable mark on the oil pressure gauge. If i shut the engine off and then restart it the oil pressure gauge will remain at zero. There are no warning lights flashing or lit up, and there are bulbs in every socket that should have a bulb.

I pulled the gauge cluster from a 1st gen 22re 4runner in a junk yard. Everything else on the gauge cluster works normally all of the time. When i swapped it in I just unplugged the plugs of the old cluster and plugged them into the 'new' tachometer gauge cluster.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or know what may be amiss? I have the gauge and paid for the new oil pressure sending unit so I'd like it all to work correctly.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:10 PM

in addition

I swapped in the gauge cluster while I was replacing the headgasket. A lot of the extra grounds and wires were disconnected, but I believe that I assembled it all back together correctly.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The computer has no interaction with that guage or the sending unit. Make sure the plug is clean on the engine side. Make sure the dash side plugs are properly aligned and not damaged. Make sure the screws are tight on the back of the gauge. Make sure the gauge lube isn't all dried up. Test the sending unit with a test lamp. And verify the resistance of the gauge is in spec.

*edit* The sending unit uses the block ground, pretty sures the power steering one.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 01-26-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the reply

I'll dig into it soon.